Posted By: Hyack
Date: 2011-04-26 15:29:53
Canadian

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

Warnings: (-20%)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:59 pm

Just looking around when we're out and about, I'd day 90% of Canadians, not just the kids, would receive failing grades for physical activity.
If we continue the lifestyle we've adopted currently, another 15 years or so and we're going to have some serious health issues on our hands.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:48 am

allot of blame for this goes all around, parents most of all, but schools now letting standards slip, the laughable tax credit for sports ect... in the end though people just need to make theri kids put down the toys and go play outside

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:51 am

Choban Choban:
allot of blame for this goes all around, parents most of all, but schools now letting standards slip, the laughable tax credit for sports ect... in the end though people just need to make theri kids put down the toys and go play outside

Agreed. Public schools don't impress me much with respect to their PT activities. That being said, getting kids outside is a parent's responsibility. If parents are content to come home and sit on their holes all day, then so will the kids.

Add to that the climate of fear parents live in now and the fear of simply sending their kids out to play (like us older kids did back in the day) and we see children more likely to be kept inside and safe.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:56 am

$1:
Public schools don't impress me much with respect to their PT activities

Spoke with my kids principal about phys ed as it seemed to me that he wasn't getting enough at school (2 days a week) and I was told the school board is only responsable to have 1 hour of supervised activity per day, recess and the 1/2 hour free at lunch cover this apparently.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:53 pm

I remember reading something a while back about how the parents of this generation of kids might become the first to out-live their children! 8O Obesity and inactivity are at an epidemic level with our young children today.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:03 pm

I'm glad the school my kids attend makes sure they get physical activity each day, for at least an hour. And that is besides recess.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:04 pm

Brenda Brenda:
I'm glad the school my kids attend makes sure they get physical activity each day, for at least an hour. And that is besides recess.

Which should be the norm, but unfortunately it isn't. :(

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:12 pm

2Cdo 2Cdo:
Brenda Brenda:

I don't remember getting phys ed every day in elementary school, tho. I remember 2 hours a week, BUT, I also don't remember so many fat kids in my class compared to the amount of fat kids in my kids classes...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:49 pm

Brenda Brenda:
2Cdo 2Cdo:
Brenda Brenda:

I don't remember getting phys ed every day in elementary school, tho. I remember 2 hours a week, BUT, I also don't remember so many fat kids in my class compared to the amount of fat kids in my kids classes...

I went to grade school in the late 60's, early 70's and looking back at class photos there wasn't one single overweight kid, let alone obese. Looking at the average recruit that has entered the military the last few years is fairly disturbing. Kids in their early 20's who can't keep up to a "closer to 50 than 40" year old, who until a couple of years ago smoked and drank far more than was healthy! :oops: