Title: Canadian-born visible minorities earn less
Category: Business
Posted By: CommanderSock
Date: 2011-02-26 14:26:25
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:43 pm

We're just a bunch of racists in Canada.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:11 pm

All the guys who work with me get the same. Regardless of skin colour.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:19 pm

They specifically mentioned that this was in the private sector, where equity laws don't apply. The suggestion is to bring those laws to the private sector - I guess that means quotas.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:24 pm

andyt andyt:
They specifically mentioned that this was in the private sector, where equity laws don't apply. The suggestion is to bring those laws to the private sector - I guess that means quotas.

Hell no!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:36 pm

Well, if we're going to invite all those people into Canada, the least we can do for them is make sure our workforce reflects the changing face of Canada. I guess some white Canadians will just have to give up their white privilege. We know from posters on this forum that they're all lazy anyway.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:38 pm

When I first came to Canada, Bob Rae was in and 'Equity' legislation meant that my skin colour was a distinct disdavantage. As was my spoken language, gender and sexual preference.

Before Shep gets excited, white, English speaking straight males had a tough time getting a job in Bob Rae's Ontario before 1995.

I have never forgotten his bullshit.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:47 pm

I grew up with many 2nd generation visible minority kids, most were well mannered and did well in school. About 20% were* complete fuck sticks, and as a result they were either kicked out of school, never attended post secondary or had such poor work ethic that only their parents would hire them. They may be out there, but I have never worked for a company or business that discriminated a person by their ethnicity. The only discrimination was for attitude.

*Edit for speeling :x

Last edited by Guy_Fawkes on Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:53 pm

andyt andyt:
Well, if we're going to invite all those people into Canada, the least we can do for them is make sure our workforce reflects the changing face of Canada. I guess some white Canadians will just have to give up their white privilege. We know from posters on this forum that they're all lazy anyway.

The system will sort itself out IMO, as more minorities make grind through society, the hard way. They'll create their own companies, and make it more difficult for old nepotist Canadian traditions to continue, lest corporations and businesses collapse due to inefficiency. This is already evident with small firms like Canada Computers, NCIX, Hakim Optical, who are set up by minorities and have blown traditional competitors out of the water within a decade.

No need to force employment equity down companies throats, as long as education equity is in place the minorities will get there.

But education equity is very important, VERY, from the earliest age. If we find that our education system goes in the way of the USA or some Latin American countries where only the children of the wealthy, and predominantly white class only have opportunities, then yes, we're fucked.

The current system is fine currently IMO.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:04 pm

Old nepotist Canadian traditions? Really?

Go on, tell me where I can get preference for being a white guy please Sock.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:10 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:

Being pulled over by the cops for one.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:11 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:

I'm talking from my experience working in Toronto's CBD since I graduated many years ago.

Actually I've worked in the CBD, and in Kitchener Ont for a few years, and I see more often than not, the Chens and Chans being overlooked for the Johns and Smiths. And the best part is, the Asians, (in those situations) were actually much better qualified than their white counterparts. I don't mean to insult the individuals who got the jobs, I'm sure they're great people, but they got the jobs through connections, I know this because some of them became my colleagues and they told me how they got the jobs. Those connections were things like "my dad is a broker and he knows a mortgage funder here", or "my mother, or my sister" the list is endless. While the geeky Asian guys with no connections settle as admins, with their masters degrees.

I speak from experience in the finance sector.

If I had a company, I'd do Milton Friedman all over again. For those who aren't familiar with the story, he hired a black secretary because he could pay her less, while she did the same amount of work as a white secretary who would demand more pay.

I wouldn't mind hiring a few hard working Asians/Blacks whatever other minority group with no connections, pay them an ok salary, while they do the same amount of work as someone who wants higher pay.

See, competitiveness.

Last edited by CommanderSock on Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:11 pm

Maybe in your country Dan. This is Canada.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:13 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
Maybe in your country Dan. This is Canada.

http://www.thestar.com/specialsections/ ... -high-rate

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:15 pm

CommanderSock CommanderSock:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:

I'm talking from my experience working in Toronto's CBD since I graduated many years ago.

Actually I've worked in the CBD, and in Kitchener Ont for a few years, and I see more often than not, the Chens and Chans being overlooked for the Johns and Smiths. And the best part is, the Asians, (in those situations) were actually much better qualified than their white counterparts. I don't mean to insult the individuals who got the jobs, I'm sure they're great people, but they got the jobs through connections, I know this because some of them became my colleagues and they told me how they got the jobs. Those connections were things like "my dad is a broker and he knows a mortgage funder here", or "my mother, or my sister" the list is endless. While the geeky Asian guys with no connections settle as admins, with their masters degrees.

I speak from experience in finance sector.

If I had a company, I'd do Milton Friedman all over again. For those who aren't familiar with the story, he hired a black secretary because he could pay her less, while she did the same amount of work.

I wouldn't mind hiring a few hard working Asians/Blacks whatever with no connections, pay them an ok salary, while they do the same amount of work as someone who wants higher pay.

See, competitiveness.

Well, in the 'public' sector, not being white seems to be a distinct advantage.

When I came here I couldn't even get an interview because I wasn't from a 'target' group.

I'm not having your rhetoric without proof Sock. I've been on the other end of the stick for far too long.