Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:23 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
bootlegga bootlegga:
I guess I should have said illegal instead of "not right".

However, justifying an action because "it happens all the time" or "everyone else is doing" doesn't justify an action or make any action legal. Try that in court the next time you get caught speeding and the judge will laugh your ass out of the courtroom.

"Everyone is doing it" is, indeed, a sound defense for speeding. All you do is argue that you 1) were not passing other vehicles and that 2) driving at the speed limit would've been a greater hazard to your safety and the safety of other people on the road by your impeding the prevailing flow of traffic.

That got me off of a costly ticket in 1991 when I was pulled over for 65 on Interstate 5 when the speed limit was 55. I argued that I was actually going slower than most of the other cars and the cop conceded that. Turned out he pulled me over primarily because I was driving an older, dirty car and he felt I amy have been doing something else. The lesson there was to always keep my car clean, which I do, and I've never had another ticket since.

Just because you sweet talked a cop out of giving you a ticket doesn't mean jack shit.

Try it in front of a judge and all you'll do is piss him/her off. "Everyone else is doing it" offers no more legal justification than ignorance of the law does.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:32 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgl7JJFD ... _embedded#!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:34 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
bootlegga bootlegga:

However, justifying an action because "it happens all the time" or "everyone else is doing" doesn't justify an action or make any action legal. Try that in court the next time you get caught speeding and the judge will laugh your ass out of the courtroom.

But it's not illegal, you are just trying to 'make' it illegal, just like the gun registry did.

There is no requirement to insure and register a vehicle you buy. You only need those things to run it on PUBLIC roads. If you want to run it on PRIVATE roads, say a logging road or on the private land of a farm, you don't need those things.

And it does happen all the time. I can speed all I like on private land, otherwise you'd see photo radar vans at the Indy race. Everyone else was doing it, after all.

Yes, you're correct that vehicles used 100% on private land do not need registration, but given the number of combines and tractors I've seen slowing down traffic (while driving in rural Alberta) I'd have to agree with Hurley that the total number is relatively insignificant (when compared to the total number of registered vehicles in Alberta).

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:40 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
bootlegga bootlegga:

"Everyone is doing it" is, indeed, a sound defense for speeding. All you do is argue that you 1) were not passing other vehicles and that 2) driving at the speed limit would've been a greater hazard to your safety and the safety of other people on the road by your impeding the prevailing flow of traffic.

That got me off of a costly ticket in 1991 when I was pulled over for 65 on Interstate 5 when the speed limit was 55. I argued that I was actually going slower than most of the other cars and the cop conceded that. Turned out he pulled me over primarily because I was driving an older, dirty car and he felt I amy have been doing something else. The lesson there was to always keep my car clean, which I do, and I've never had another ticket since.

Just because you sweet talked a cop out of giving you a ticket doesn't mean jack shit.

Try it in front of a judge and all you'll do is piss him/her off. "Everyone else is doing it" offers no more legal justification than ignorance of the law does.

I guess I didn't note that I did argue exactly that at the Sacramento Traffic Court in Walnut Grove. So,, yes, it does mean jack sh*t.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:42 pm

uwish uwish:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgl7JJFDuk0&feature=player_embedded#!

Like I said before, I'd be far more impressed with Kuntz's survey if he released total numbers, how scientific it was (validity & reliability), whether the sampling was random or not, etc.

He says 90% of the people he surveyed are against keeping the Registry. Now that sounds great, but what does it really mean? Did he interview 10 officers? 100 officers? 1000? Were the questions close-ended or open-ended? Did he use a Likert scale or simple yes/no answers?

Surveys not done properly can easily create whatever results the survey creator wants.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:45 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
bootlegga bootlegga:

I guess I didn't note that I did argue exactly that at the Sacramento Traffic Court in Walnut Grove. So,, yes, it does mean jack sh*t.

8O

Wow, no wonder you are so skeptical of the American justice system.

My friend tried that here in Edmonton and got yelled at by the judge and was ordered to pay the fine immediately. I drove him to court and watched the whole thing, and honestly, I was laughing so hard I cried when he rolled out that defence, which he stated, "was sure to get him exonerated." :lol:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:22 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
ASLplease ASLplease:
bootlegga bootlegga:
Just because something is possible does NOT mean it will happen. ....
It's nothing more than fear-mongering at its best.

You should apply that thinking every time someone claims that a properly licenced, properly trained, conscientiously safe and cautious gun owner can still accidentally kill someone with their firearm.

Tell ya what, when you apply the same rationale to the gun registry (or gun laws in general), then I'll consider it! :P

Im assuming that you would like me to apply the same rationale to refute my claim that the gun registry leads to confiscation. A good point, except gun registration has already led to confiscation IN CANADA.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:27 pm

Oh, I just have to........ :twisted:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:37 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
Wow, no wonder you are so skeptical of the American justice system.

My friend tried that here in Edmonton and got yelled at by the judge and was ordered to pay the fine immediately. I drove him to court and watched the whole thing, and honestly, I was laughing so hard I cried when he rolled out that defence, which he stated, "was sure to get him exonerated." :lol:

In California it is a defense because you can cite CVC 22400(a)(§2) which states that you can be cited for impeding the flow of traffic even you are travelling at a rate of speed less than the prevailing flow of traffic. In the 1990's if you went over 55 the cops were able to do what they wanted most of the time. These days the 22400 defense would be easy to make stick because you can subpoena the cops dash camera footage of the stop to prove you were being a good guy. Consequently, if you're not passing traffic in this state, regardless of the posted speed, you won't be pulled over. But the cops can do what's called an 'interruption' which is where they zig-zag across the lanes of traffic to slow down *all* of the traffic to the speed limit. You see that a lot more in LA than in Sacramento.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:15 pm

QBC QBC:
Oh, I just have to........ :twisted:

Admittedly, Hitler and Harper are both six letter words beginning with 'H' and ending with 'R'! Coincidence... :lol:

Seriously though, I'll raise you these ones...

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:51 pm

That last one is pretty wicked! :lol:

Edit: The guy's wearing an ATF hat...makes me think this was staged.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:30 pm

I had posted that "hold my beer" one in the motivation poster thread I think a few months back... :lol:

Here are a few more..... :P

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:38 pm

ASLplease ASLplease:
bootlegga bootlegga:

You should apply that thinking every time someone claims that a properly licenced, properly trained, conscientiously safe and cautious gun owner can still accidentally kill someone with their firearm.

Like one of our professionally trained General that had an accidental discharge from his rifle? He's lucky someone didn't get hit.

Nope, it NEVER happens :roll:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:12 pm

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
ASLplease ASLplease:
bootlegga bootlegga:

Like one of our professionally trained General that had an accidental discharge from his rifle? He's lucky someone didn't get hit.

Nope, it NEVER happens :roll:

we have this wonderful thing called google, if its your assertion that people are being killed, please fill a post full articles and statistics. it shouldnt be that hard to do, right?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:31 pm

here, i'll even help you out:

$1:
Source: Statistics Canada, Health Statistics Division, Causes of Death 1999 (Catalogue no. 84F0208XPB), Ottawa, May 2002.
Causes of Death
Number of
Deaths Percent of
Total
Cause of DeathFrequency
(1 death every)
78,94235.96%Circulatory system diseases7 minutes
61,65028.08%Malignant neoplasms CANCER9 minutes
22,02610.03%Respiratory system diseases24 minutes
7,8963.60%Digestive system diseases1 hour
6,6723.04%Mental disorders1 hour
4,0741.86%Suicide, all causes2 hours
*3,2721.42%Suicide, non-firearm3 hours
3,0551.39%Motor vehicle accidents3 hours
2,8661.31%Accidental falls3 hours
9860.45%Accidental poisoning9 hours
*8020.37%Suicide, by firearms11 hours
4620.21%Homicides, all causes19 hours
4310.20%HIV20 hours
**3110.14%Homicide, non-firearm28 hours
**1510.07%Homicide, by firearm2 days
***1100.05%Homicide, by cutting and piercing instrument3 days
510.02%Surgical/medical misadventure7 days
370.02%Fatal gun accidents10 days

* included in suicide, all causes
** included in homicide, all causes
*** included in homicide, non-firearm

sorry about the lost formatting but that chart tells us that we have 37 fatal gun accidents per year

so how many are innocent people walking down the street that are accidental shot by a properly licenced, properly trained long gun owner?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next