canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:55 am

Oh gawd, in Toronto? I can just imagine. They'd have to call the army out just to clear the bike lanes if we keep getting winters like we been getting :roll:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:40 am

DerbyX DerbyX:
The problem with long term bike lanes is that so much of Canada's year is simply awful biking weather and a lot of it is bike impossible.

"impossible" is another word that has different definitions from different peoples because I know guys that never miss a day in Calgary. And, you'll find a website called icebike.com that features guys in Alaska that never miss a day.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:01 am

You never miss posting on this thread either so I can believe that you bike in all weathers, it's just not feasible for the other 99% of the human race.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:05 am

More and more people are riding their bikes year round. It's not a fad. It's not going anywhere and it's not going to stop.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:09 am

Akhenaten Akhenaten:
More and more people are riding their bikes year round. It's not a fad. It's not going anywhere and it's not going to stop.

I can't see it taking off around here with the weather we get and the 6-7 months of lake-effect snow and brass-monkey winds.

This is a GTA orienated thread and I'm giving the point of view of a long time resident of the SHITE weather we get October on. I won't be on my bike mate, not until May if we are lucky.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:11 am

I want the flying cars they said we'd have be now in the 50s or failing that jet packs. They said we'd have those too.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:13 am

They said there'd be peace on earth......

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:16 am

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
Akhenaten Akhenaten:

I can't see it taking off around here with the weather we get and the 6-7 months of lake-effect snow and brass-monkey winds.

This is a GTA orienated thread and I'm giving the point of view of a long time resident of the SHITE weather we get October on. I won't be on my bike mate, not until May if we are lucky.

Not to mention that we still have humidity in Southern Ontario all winter long.
Seriously, the gear that kept me warm in Winterpeg at 40 below did fuck all to keep me warm at 20 below in Southern Ontario. Plus that moisture makes paved surfaces a little greasier.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:19 am

I agree. I spent more time outdoors in Labrador than I do here. Labrador was/is colder but it's nice, dry and kinda pleasant cold. The winters in the GTA just suck.

I'm getting depressed thinking about it already....sob....

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:23 am

$1:

Dude look around. Like I say, every winter there are more cyclists on the road, not less. Try it once and you'll see it's not that bad. In fact people who do it usually claim it's he best part of their day warm or not. When I used to commute by bike in the winter I was warm on the coldest days within a few minutes, whereas now when I commute by car the car hasn't warmed up for 10 minuntes or more. I sit there shivering.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:28 am

Akhenaten Akhenaten:
$1:

Dude look around. Like I say, every winter there are more cyclists on the road, not less. Try it once and you'll see it's not that bad. In fact people who do it usually claim it's he best part of their day warm or not. When I used to commute by bike in the winter I was warm on the coldest days within a few minutes, whereas now when I commute by car the car hasn't warmed up for 10 minuntes or more. I sit there shivering.

I think biking in the cold is more do-able in a prairie climate than a GTA climate. That was my point and that was derby's point about bike lanes in Toronto being of limited year-around use.

Canada is a big country, the climate varies and derby’s point was valid in context with the thread and given the crappy winter conditions in Toronto, lake effect snow and the effects of sub-zero humidity.

So dude, ride around here in the deep of winter and see how your attitude may be adjusted.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:33 am

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
They said there'd be peace on earth......

Sure, but forced on us by a giant indestructible robot named Gort.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:35 am

Brenda Brenda:
Biking in rain sucks too. We can clear roads and sidewalks. Why not bike lanes too? Especially in the city. The lower mainland for instance has as many snowy days as Holland does. They can do it...

Maybe if every city had a bike trail like the Galloping Goose trail in Victoria that would be feasible, however most cities' bike lanes is to the right of the curb lane, which is where the snow gets piled. If we need to clear the bike lane then the snow would have to go on the sidewalk or you would need Bobcats and dump trucks to haul it out. Besides I imagine only a few diehards would want to continue biking in the winter once the temperature goes below zero. Fair weather riders (which, I imagine, would be the majority) are going to bus it regardless of how well the roads are maintained just to avoid the wind chill (in Toronto at least). Not even David Miller would be dumb enough to incur the expense of having bike lanes cleared of snow. Wait, actually yes he would. Hopefully he doesn't read these threads.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:40 am

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
Akhenaten Akhenaten:
$1:

I think biking in the cold is more do-able in a prairie climate than a GTA climate. That was my point and that was derby's point about bike lanes in Toronto being of limited year-around use.

Fair enough, but I think you underestimate prairie winters and wind.

$1:
So dude, ride around here in the deep of winter and see how your attitude may be adjusted.

I'd rather be warm on a bike than freezing in a car. Naturally the longer you have to go the less you'd want to be on a bike though. That's basically the reason I drive now.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:52 am

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
You never miss posting on this thread either so I can believe that you bike in all weathers, it's just not feasible for the other 99% of the human race.

i understand.

but we might be surprised about whats to come in the future.

there is a growing opinion that the other 99%(which I am part of) cant feasibly stay with our current transportation habits.

imo, bicycling wont be a universal solution but it will hit the short list of new, or should I say old and traditional, solutions.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 284 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 14  15  16  17  18  19  Next