Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:57 am

The video I just saw on breakfast television shows the car hitting the bicyclist, at an intersection, and then backing up. You can clearly see the bicyclist laying on the ground when the car backs up. They cut away from the video when the bicyclist was getting up."

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:03 pm

NancyDrew NancyDrew:
Wow some of you have the victim convicted and he's the one dead.

How does the dead victim having 61 outstanding warrants against him justify Bryant's actions?

Yer the one that brought up the "spin" against the "victim". I merely pointed out that this individual wasn't exactly a fine upstanding, law-abiding citizen.

NancyDrew NancyDrew:
Technically, Bryant left the scene of an accident. It doesn't matter that he stopped at that hotel down the street, he still left the scene of an accident.

We don't know that the biker was actually hit.

NancyDrew NancyDrew:
Where are the marks on Bryant indicating there was any assault on him?

Even touching somebody with your finger without their consent is assault.

NancyDrew NancyDrew:
Accident investigators will be able to determine what speed Bryant was driving. My bet is that it was over the speed limit as witnesses have implied.

When someone jumps on your car and starts to assault you, your speed is the last thing you're gonna be worried about.

NancyDrew NancyDrew:
Why was Bryant released from jail without a bail hearing? If it were you or I, we'd still be languishing in a cell.

Bryant hasn't been formally charged with anything so keeping him in jail is against his constitutional rights.

NancyDrew NancyDrew:
Now there's a special prosecutor on the case from - guess where? B.C.! Bryant's home province. How sweet.

Yeah, they grew up next door to each other right? :roll:

NancyDrew NancyDrew:
Just like I don't blame the rape victim, I also don't blame the dead man in this situation. Nobody knows exactly what transpired between the two at the outset. Some have said Bryant hit the guy and damaged his bike, then the guy went up to Bryant.

And others have said their was no "collision".

NancyDrew NancyDrew:
The media and some of you here are demonizing the victim, which is wrong. Bryant is the one who had the weapon, a 2,000+ pound vehicle. Bryant is the one who should have stopped but didn't. Bryant is the one who jumped curbs sideswiping a mailbox, poles and a tree. Bryant is the one who was driving on the wrong side of the street.

So if someone tries to assault me and I pull a knife and they jump on it, that's my fault eh? And again, you are ASSUMING that Bryant was able to have complete control of his vehicle while someone was trying to assault him.

NancyDrew NancyDrew:
The victim is dead. His children no longer have a father. Please have some respect for his memory and for his children.

I feel bad for his kids, even while he was alive. But to have respect for a criminal that died because of his own stupidity, get real. I say buh-bye to garbage.
If he was such a fine upstanding citizen, he would be in Alberta facing up to his crimes there and still be alive, instead of hiding out in Ontario until his temper got him killed.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:10 pm

ASLplease ASLplease:
The video I just saw on breakfast television shows the car hitting the bicyclist, at an intersection, and then backing up. You can clearly see the bicyclist laying on the ground when the car backs up. They cut away from the video when the bicyclist was getting up."

Ok couple of questions here. Was it a controlled intersection and if so, who had the right of way at that moment?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:28 pm

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
ASLplease ASLplease:

Ok couple of questions here. Was it a controlled intersection and if so, who had the right of way at that moment?

the police tried to ask the victim that very same question, but he was too dead to answer.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:30 pm

That reminds me, when I first came to North America I welded half-inch carbide spikes onto my brakes so that they would stick out sideways. I getting right-hooked a lot back then, and the spikes served the dual function to protect my hands while the carbide was digging trenches into the sides of the cars. When my half-inch studs touch your car, you are too close!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:43 pm

Ah so I guess the "victim's" response would be the absolute God given truth?
Let's see, Bryant would of course say that he had the right of way, while the cyclist would say HE had the right of way. Dead or alive, we still wouldn't know the truth about that without a 3rd party eyewitness account.
And like it or not, the ex AG is going to have a lot more credibility than someone with warrants for 61 counts of fraud. Fraud is just a form of lying.

And regardless of the "victim's" demise, he himself broke several laws in the process. How does one become a victim whilst one is in the act of breaking the law?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:55 pm

ASLplease ASLplease:
That reminds me, when I first came to North America I welded half-inch carbide spikes onto my brakes so that they would stick out sideways. I getting right-hooked a lot back then, and the spikes served the dual function to protect my hands while the carbide was digging trenches into the sides of the cars. When my half-inch studs touch your car, you are too close!

I can appreciate that ASL. There are a LOT of drivers that have little to no respect for cyclists. But I've seen more and more cyclist as I grew up in this country get pretty damn militant. And altho they are a minority, there are still wayyy too many cyclists that don't seem to think the rules of the road apply to them. They routinely blow through stop signs and red lights and then cop a fuckin 'tude because some driver has to lock 'em up halfway through the intersection to avoid hitting the pinhead.

And EB is dead on about something else. The bike couriers are the WORST of the bunch for it. Living in the GTA, I've seen it far too many times when I've gone to Toronto. It leaves me shaking my head.

What's sadly funny about all this is, the one's that are "defending" the "victim" seem to give more importance to his safety and life than he did himself.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:03 pm

And regardless of the "victim's" demise, he himself broke several laws in the process. How does one become a victim whilst one is in the act of breaking the law?

IMHO, one doesn't. The cyclist here is more than half at fault. Yeah, Bryant probably should have stopped.

But now let's say we have an angry cyclist hanging on to the door of a 17 year old girl? Would we expect her to lose her cool?

I'm inclined to give Bryant some benefit of the doubt before we go building a gallows for him.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:16 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

IMHO, one doesn't. The cyclist here is more than half at fault. Yeah, Bryant probably should have stopped.

But now let's say we have an angry cyclist hanging on to the door of a 17 year old girl? Would we expect her to lose her cool?

I'm inclined to give Bryant some benefit of the doubt before we go building a gallows for him.

Especially since he looks like he's roughly the same size as a 17 year old girl. Not a big man, was definatly just trying to leave and probably scared shitless.

Shephard figured stopping Bryant from leaving, or assaulting him, was worth risking his life. Obviously lost that gamble, don't see why he should be absolved of any fault.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:36 pm

The part about picking a fight with a homeless man just before this incident is one of the things that turned me against him (until better details emerge). I mean who does that? Only punks, bullies, crazies and, apparently, the Edmonton police. IOW, f*ktards all around.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:24 pm

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/girlfriend-of-dead-cyclist-questions-police-refusal-to-drive-him-home/article1273891/#video http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/girlfriend-of-dead-cyclist-questions-police-refusal-to-drive-him-home/article1273891/#video:
A reasonable person, like a lawyer or two, when having struck a cyclist from behind would have immediately gotten out of the vehicle and said "I'm sorry man, are you ok?" is your bike ok? here's my phone number, get your bike fixed and call me so I can pay the bill" That did not happen. Instead Bryant tried to leave. Anger was elevated and in the end a human being was tossed against a mailbox and killed. What would I have done in his situation? I would have gotten out of my car and made certain the person I hit was unhurt. The cyclist would never have come at me in anger.

Has everyone been spun by the spin doctors?

Whether the murder was justified or unjustified is speculation at this point The fact is Brant did not behave as a reasonable person would have and ended up murdering a man.

One more thing. Brandt was together enough to call his spin doctors. I wonder how concerned he was about the man he killed? Clearly Bryant does not have my sympathy. The deceased man, his family anfd friends have my sympathy.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:34 pm

I think I am going to custom build a cycle glove that is armoured for "safety" ...maybe something as simple as a steel or ceramic pad designed to allow my hand to slid across the ground without getting scraped.

Furthermore, If anyone gets so close to me that I can touch their vehicle, I'd say they have gotten to close. We even have a movement in progress that suggests that the safe distance is 3 feet.

If my hand instinctively goes out to defend myself, and it smashes a window, it's not my fault.

:twisted:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:47 pm

OK. So far about all that has been 'accomplished' here is that between us all, we have regurgitated, reiterated and repeated some very well known facts!
What we all seem to agree on is that there are indeed some asshole motor vehicle drivers who should not be behind the wheel. We also seem to agree that there are a number of bicycle riders who think that the same laws which apply to motor vehicle do not in fact apply to them!

Now we can get back to the topic of this thread.

ALS & Nancy Drew;
What published known facts about the Bryant/Sheppard situation are you basing your 'position/arguments' on? Links please.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:06 pm

Yogi Yogi:
OK. So far about all that has been 'accomplished' here is that between us all, we have regurgitated, reiterated and repeated some very well known facts!
What we all seem to agree on is that there are indeed some asshole motor vehicle drivers who should not be behind the wheel. We also seem to agree that there are a number of bicycle riders who think that the same laws which apply to motor vehicle do not in fact apply to them!

Now we can get back to the topic of this thread.

ALS & Nancy Drew;
What published known facts about the Bryant/Sheppard situation are you basing your 'position/arguments' on? Links please.

Thank you Yogi....lets please keep this discussion to the factual information we have.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:34 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Yeah, Bryant probably should have stopped.

BINGO!

No doubt he's wishing now that he had of stopped.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 284 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 9  10  11  12  13  14  15 ... 19  Next