Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:14 pm

I have no problem with celebrity activism so long as they have either expertise in that situation or a vested interest in the region. For example, when the 'home-town hero' tries rally support for the floods that ravaged his/her community, that's cool. I'll listen to Jimmy Buffett trying to drum up funds for Hurricane Katrina relief. That's using one's celebrity to do good for one's community and one's neighbours. I take what Bono says about Bolivia's national debt about as seriously as what any other twit without any training in economics has to say about it.

I'm also getting fucking aggravated by that U2-Blackberry commercial. Is Bono FOR or AGAINST corporations, I fucking forget?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:24 pm

Ditto. You catch Billy S eating farmed salmon in his favorite restaraunt, you've got reason to belly ache. Otherwise, you just sound like a twit.

I think we're all in agreement on hypocrits like Bonno and Al Gore.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:57 pm

Hyack Hyack:
While I'm no big fan of Shatner, someone has got to bring this problem to people's attention, since DFO is still not able to decide if there even is a problem....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VYkBIDlm_I

Cute vid. I'm of, "If it works don't screw with it" mindset and FF are screwing with the Pacific stocks. I can't see any reason why they can't use a lake or some other closed of body of water. Why do they need to have the farms right at the mouths of the streams that have the main runs? They did this in Norway and their stocks collapsed. Seems we are cutting our noses off to get a few jobs.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:48 am

In a world where the average idiot is more concerned with Dancing With The Stars and Michael Jackson, there's no choice but to use a "celebrity shill" to deliver the message. "Qualifications" mean squat to the average moron. David Suzuki get mocked equally with Al Gore.
Duhhh... he's an intellek-shool. My teechurs were all stoopid, he's stoopid too
Is Rafe Mair (Google him if you're not from BC) going to draw more response on a tv ad than Captain Kirk?
Salmon farming was pretty much a free for all here. Regulations have stiffened. Many feel they're still not good enough. Many.
Not just a couple "eco-nuts". Many.
The WestCoast fishery has taken almost as bad a beating as the East Coast, and most of Canada is not even aware of it. Many fishermen* lay part of the blame on salmon farming.

*they are not "fishers". Fishers are small, smelly, furry weasel like animals.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:30 am

Scape Scape:
I can't see any reason why they can't use a lake or some other closed of body of water. Why do they need to have the farms right at the mouths of the streams that have the main runs? They did this in Norway and their stocks collapsed. Seems we are cutting our noses off to get a few jobs.

Just a solid membrane enclosure would be enough. They'd be able to control whats in the pool so they'd need less drugs to fight off the lice. For that reason, they could put the damned thing in a ground level pool in Delta or Richmond.

I think this is just the cheapest and it's time that we put in some restrictions.