Category: lifestyle
Posted By: dino_bobba_renno
Date: 2009-07-29 05:35:17
Canadian

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:44 am

It is modern but still not worth what ever they paid to have it designed. What they should have done is had a contest amongst local architects at least that way it would have promoted someone locally and it probably would have cost a fraction of the price.

Give it few years, this thing will end up being a graffiti covered eye sore where drug addicts hang out and urinate.

One thing I don't see lasting long is the glass. Christ the bus shelter by my house gets smashed at least 2 times a month.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:39 am

Waste of $$$, I'm all for paying a reasonable price for an overpass, but there was no need to bring in an architect that is more artsy than functional. Yet another spending gaff from Bronco's cabinet and city council. Now the mayoral elections are coming, tell you what folks, I'm no9t voting for Bronco or McIver as they both suck in my mind.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:46 am

things like footbridges are long term infrastructure that could last 80 years or more. I doubt anyone will care how much it costs in a few years.

But build a bridge out of inferior products and make it so plain that it is an eyesore and you've got the perfect screw up.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:07 am

Is it really necessary to have another bridge along Memorial Drive. Correct me if I'm wrong but from Center Street to 10th is there not 4 bridges?

It's a strange way for a city to spend money during times of fiscal restraint.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:33 am

I like how Bronco came up with the name Peace Bridge to honour the Military, just to try and sell it. But won't allow Support Our Troops decals on city vehicles.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:53 am

Tell ya what, Edmonton will trade you our stupid new art museum for your stupid new bridge... :lol:

Actually, I have to admit I like that bridge. And while it sounds expensive, think of how much it would have 2 years ago (probably double with the labour shortages). :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:28 am

gigs gigs:
Is it really necessary to have another bridge along Memorial Drive. Correct me if I'm wrong but from Center Street to 10th is there not 4 bridges?

It's a strange way for a city to spend money during times of fiscal restraint.

There is an over 1Km gap as Illustrated by this map

Alta_redneck Alta_redneck:
I like how Bronco came up with the name Peace Bridge to honour the Military, just to try and sell it. But won't allow Support Our Troops decals on city vehicles.

CPA, and CPS have the decals on their patrol cars.

I think this bridge will look quite nice. and will age quite well, and as I've been saying 24m for a bridge by Santiago Calatrava is a real steal, Calatrava bridges usually start at 50m. Its true they could have held a competition amongst local architects but the city wanted to have another world class piece of architecture (after the Bow). So now we have a office tower designed by Lord Foster, a bridge by Santiago Calatrava and the King Eddy (CANTOS) by who knows all the designs are really good (especially design by SPF architects). The City is moving on and up, the city is trying to shed the shitty stampitecture that we are known for. Its about time we started to create some nice architecture.