CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:57 pm

Know I'm new here but as a U/S Army vet and a great friend of a Warrant Officer in your Forces every time she has gone to the desert I pull my flag down and put up the Maple Leaf till she is back home in Canada safe, never had one person bitch, stupid people are everywhere. First To Fire!! :rock:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:06 am

Wow, talk about a drama queen.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:03 am

romanP romanP:
All flags are a peice of cloth.

As a patriot who has himself firmly and proudly wrapped up in the flag,
I'm obligated by unwritten rules to declare the following demonstrative point:

Mangez de la merde.

Merci.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:33 am

Unreasonably emotional reactions to flags, like this one and the one that caused a guy to cut down a flag, are why I think the importance of flags is overrated. As some famous person once said, nationalism is the last refuge of scoundrels.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:49 am

A flag is only a symbol, and in that case, it's a symbol to acknowledge the presence of many community members who are Canadian. Cutting the flag down doesn't change that fact, and it's incredibly stupid to get so worked up over the symbolization itself and not what it represents.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:01 am

romanP romanP:
As some famous person once said, nationalism is the last refuge of scoundrels.

The proper quote is "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel."

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:08 am

I’m sure someone else has thought of this, but, why is this even in the news? One goofball (sure it’s a real psychological term) cuts our flag down in the US and it rates this kind of response?

I’d hardly consider this as a national slight even though I’m sure that was the intent of the media.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:20 am

$1:
Police arrested Walter Fallica, 62, near by, charging him with criminal mischief and resisting an officer. According to the Hernando County Sheriff's Office, he admitted what he had done and said he was willing "to die for this cause."

Seriously? You willing to die for that?!? I think the guy needs a long stay in a small padded room.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:58 am

poquas poquas:
I’m sure someone else has thought of this, but, why is this even in the news? One goofball (sure it’s a real psychological term) cuts our flag down in the US and it rates this kind of response?

I’d hardly consider this as a national slight even though I’m sure that was the intent of the media.

Because Canada has a severe problem with hypersensitive arm-chair nationalists. Somewhere along the line genuine patriotism and love of country got replaced with foaming at the mouth over every perceived slight. Take the article in question as an example. Instead of the flag being cut down by some Yank loony pretend it was taken down by the local civic authorities as a violation of some silly bylaw. If that had happened this thread would have been by now about twenty pages of "Fuck AmeriKKKA!" or "Death to AmeriKKKa" or "George Bush neo-con motherf****r" or "Cut off all the oil to the AmeriKKKans right now!" drivel.

Nationalism to too many people isn't a source of positive pride. It's usually just like religion and has gotten warped into an excuse to flip out over something of completely miniscule importance. Canadians aren't better than anyone anywhere else and certainly are not exempt from this sort of irrationality.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:19 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Because Canada has a severe problem with hypersensitive arm-chair nationalists.
Kind of ironic; an incident about a hypersensitive American nationalist is really only newsworthy to hypersensitive Canadian nationalists.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:35 pm

Blue_Nose Blue_Nose:
Thanos Thanos:
Because Canada has a severe problem with hypersensitive arm-chair nationalists.
Kind of ironic; an incident about a hypersensitive American nationalist is really only newsworthy to hypersensitive Canadian nationalists.

This is what happens when an issue like this becomes fodder for people who have about the same intellectual subtlety as Bill The Butcher from "Gangs Of New York". Patriotism = reaction minus any thought.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:02 pm

I was involved in erecting a huge transmitter tower that stands out on the top of a 1,000 ft hill above our town like a giant hard on.
In 15 years I've been unable to convince anyone to hang a giant flag on it at least for Canada Day. Wrote my MP on Day One and the asshole sent me a free 2ft x 3ft flag you couldn't see a block away.
And I'm no flag-hugger. It's just a piece of cloth when we're not rallied around it. I've used more flags for drapes and to roll doobies than anything else.

But on Canada Day or when there's an event in town, a huge one should fly from that tower so we all CAN.