Category: Business
Posted By: stemmer
Date: 2009-02-11 15:05:44
Canadian

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:07 pm

Should make those fans of ricers happy...

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:47 pm

Hey, i'll wait to see GM's proposal, but if it includes job cuts, relocations and plant shut downs, then i'll be interested to see how the geniuses with their "Out of Job yet? Keep buying foreign" stickers will respond. More wit and originality, i'll presume. :roll:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:00 pm

So sad to see in our economic hard times to hear about North Americans flocking to imports... Do these people have no sense of National pride? Are these the same people who applaud the actions of traitors like Omar Khadr?

North America is engaged in an economic war... The very future and direction of our country and sovereignty is at stake... Those people who abandon the big three in their time of need are no different then the native North Americans who sold Manhattan Island for shiny bauble and trinklets....

Sorry but my sovereignty can not be bought so easily....

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:31 pm

Your "sovereignty"? Come on, lose the baseless rhetoric. Toyota and Honda both have plants here in Ontario. They're not "imports" but they are "foreign". Although, i guess the latter also applies to Ford, GM and Chrysler too. What are you going to do if GM announces that its defunct plants in Ontario are gone and perhaps relocated to the U.S.? How's your "patriotism" then? Maybe you could buy a Suzuki, Toyota, Lexus, Acura or Honda and buy something made in Canada?

By the way, who makes your T.V.? American? I doubt it. Hell hath no fury like a hypocrite wrapped in the flag. :roll:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:09 pm

Do REALLY believe Honda, Toyota, Nissan, BMW, Mercedes will bend over backwards to re-tool for us during a war effort like the North American auto industry did?

AND WHAT IF that war is with the nation who's those"foreign" companies are headquartered...

IF you know your history you will remember some of those tanks, army trucks, planes, etc were manufactured for the US and Canada at a loss as part of FDR's war effort...

I wonder who BMW, Mercedes, Fiat, Toyota, etc where building military equipment for...???

NO - we need the big three.... We don't need Toyota, Honda, Nissan, BMW, Mercedes, etc... We were fine without them.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:12 pm

Mustang1 Mustang1:
Your "sovereignty"? Come on, lose the baseless rhetoric. Toyota and Honda both have plants here in Ontario. They're not "imports" but they are "foreign". Although, i guess the latter also applies to Ford, GM and Chrysler too. What are you going to do if GM announces that its defunct plants in Ontario are gone and perhaps relocated to the U.S.? How's your "patriotism" then? Maybe you could buy a Suzuki, Toyota, Lexus, Acura or Honda and buy something made in Canada?

By the way, who makes your T.V.? American? I doubt it. Hell hath no fury like a hypocrite wrapped in the flag. :roll:

Canada's and the USA's economies are so intertwined they are really one economy... The US is one of the few true allies Canada has... In times of war and economic strife you stand alongside your friends and allies...

Thanks God Harper is in office. Dion, Chretien, Martin, Jack Layton or some other lefty punk would be selling our sovereignty over to the UN...

You do read history, right?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:27 pm

stemmer stemmer:
Do REALLY believe Honda, Toyota, Nissan, BMW, Mercedes will bend over backwards to re-tool for us during a war effort like the North American auto industry did?

Huh? it's 2009 not 1939! And this really has ZERO to do with NOW. Last time i checked buying certain Hondas, Toyotas, Lexuxes and Acuras meant buying ONTARIO-made cars. Can you say the same for GM soon? Or Ford? Or Chrysler?

Oh yeah, and who makes your T.V. again? DVD player? That's what i thought. Pure hypocrisy.

$1:
AND WHAT IF that war is with the nation who's those"foreign" companies are headquartered...

There's no war now. This isn't 1944. You seriously aren't hinging this on a pretend conflict are you?

$1:
IF you know your history you will remember some of those tanks, army trucks, planes, etc were manufactured for the US and Canada at a loss as part of FDR's war effort...

I know my history really well, thanks, and one of those acquired skills is applying it. This is an illustration of a poor application. Oh...and if you know your history well, where was the U.S. in 1939 and 1940?

$1:
I wonder who BMW, Mercedes, Fiat, Toyota, etc where building military equipment for...???

And who was Ford building equipment for again? Who's knows there history well?

$1:
NO - we need the big three.... We don't need Toyota, Honda, Nissan, BMW, Mercedes, etc... We were fine without them.

WE need good, solid companies that produce soundly engineered products that are hopefully manufactured in CANADA. Toyota and Honda fit that bill. Competition is good. It breeds better products, innovation and prices - in fact, Ontario does quite well in Cambridge, Alliston, Ingersoll and Woodstock due, in large part, to foreign auto manufacturers. Ask St. Thomas how that Ford thing is working out. Or Windsor on Chrysler. That's what i thought.

Enjoy your Japanese T.V., DVD and other electronics and i'll enjoy your hypocrisy.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:31 pm

stemmer stemmer:
Mustang1 Mustang1:

Canada's and the USA's economies are so intertwined they are really one economy... The US is one of the few true allies Canada has... In times of war and economic strife you stand alongside your friends and allies...

Thanks God Harper is in office. Dion, Chretien, Martin, Jack Layton or some other lefty punk would be selling our sovereignty over to the UN...

You do read history, right?

Huh? What does Harper have to do with anything? Who's offering the stimulus package to GM in Ontario? Not just the federal government, that's for sure.

This has squat to do with WWII (and, as any decent student of history knows, the U.S. wasn't there for us in the beginning) and even less about allies. This is about safeguarding manufacturing jobs for Canadians and not some misguided hypocritical xenophobic rhetoric about "buy American".

Next, comrade, you'll be telling me what T.V. to buy.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:45 pm

In 39 & 40 the USA was supplying military equipment to the Allies. Now what was Japan, Italy & Germany doing in 39 & 40?

TV? Well since there isn't much in the way of a North American made TV the point is moot... BUT when I do have a choice, I'll stand by the North American corporation...

Buying a Toyota, Honda, BMW the profits go to Japan or Germany... Of course you probably never opened an economics book in your life... Or perhaps you've never visited a library since you're too busy filling the emptiness of your head with WIKI and Youtube nonesense....

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:04 pm

stemmer stemmer:
In 39 & 40 the USA was supplying military equipment to the Allies. Now what was Japan, Italy & Germany doing in 39 & 40?

You do know the war is long over, right?

That’s probably the most ridiculous statement I’ve ever seen in this discussion. By your logic, 60 million years ago, man was a furry little rat like animal… and we should still be!

North American manufacturers have no one but themselves to blame for the situation they’re in now. For decades they built shitty gas guzzlers that killed millions. It took the Europeans, and even more the Japanese to kick these guys in the ass and start looking at what they were pumping out of their factories. They still have problems understanding why they typically come in last place in apples to apples, class comparisons.

I own a BMW and my wife drives a Volvo (which is owned by Ford at the moment). What American brand built here is comparable in construction and safety? If I needed a pick-up truck, I might be convinced to buy American, but even then, there are better built import trucks on the market now.

The bottom line is simply that I’ll be damned if I’m going to pay for a piece of crap simply to keep some union screwball overpaid.

Last edited by poquas on Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:04 pm

stemmer stemmer:

In '39 and '40 the U.S. wasn't involved in the real fighting for other's freedom. The fact that you fall back on economics (and you conveniently dodged the Ford/Nazi angle - i guess you missed that in sorry attempt at history, huh?) screams volumes. The reality is that Canadians were dying and American were making profits.

$1:
TV? Well since there isn't much in the way of a North American made TV the point is moot... BUT when I do have a choice, I'll stand by the North American corporation...

Translation: You're a hypocrite. You rail against others for buying Canadian-made foreign-owned products but you do it when it suits you. The point isn't moot, its rationalized by you because, if you were really committed to your rhetoric, you'd go without foreign-made products.

$1:
Buying a Toyota, Honda, BMW the profits go to Japan or Germany... Of course you probably never opened an economics book in your life... Or perhaps you've never visited a library since you're too busy filling the emptiness of your head with WIKI and Youtube nonesense....

Oh good, insults from uneducated geriatric crowd (you opened the door here, but i'm not above following you on in). Actually, whether the profits go Japan (like your T.V.) Germany or Detroit, jobs are created here. That benefits Canadians. Just because you're some sorry, antiquated, hypocrite whose ignorant xenophobia rules his rhetoric doesn't mean that the rest of us subscribe to it. Again, i noticed in your diatribe - long on banality and short on objectivity - that you failed to address the rather salient fact that Alliston, Cambridge, Ingersoll and Woodstock are doing a heck of lot better than St. Thomas, Windsor and Oshawa. But, hey, you keep on supporting "domestics" by sending profits to the U.S. and jobs there too.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:08 pm

poquas poquas:
stemmer stemmer:

You do know the war is long over, right?

That’s probably the most ridiculous statement I’ve ever seen in this discussion. By your logic, 60 million years ago, man was a furry little rat like animal… and we should still be!

North American manufacturers have no one but themselves to blame for the situation they’re in now. For decades they built shitty gas guzzlers that killed millions. It took the Europeans, and even more the Japanese to kick these guys in the ass and start looking at what they were pumping out of their factories. They still have problems understanding why they typically come in last place in apples to apples, class comparisons.

I own a BMW and my wife drives a Volvo (which is owned by Ford at the moment). What American brand built here is comparable in construction and safety? If I needed a pick-up truck, I might be convinced to buy American, but even then, there are better built trucks on the market now.

The bottom line is simply that I’ll be damned if I’m going to pay for a piece of crap simply to keep some union screwball overpaid.

Our rather old friend here is trying to make the same xenophobic, communistic point that we should only buy "domestic". He doesn't. He buys electronics from Japan. But that's ok. Our comrade rationalizes his purchasing decisions, but dictates yours and mine to us. Interesting huh?

The reality is that Japan does make good products and they employ significant numbers here in Ontario. I don't base my economic decisions solely on antiquated, oversimplified reasoning and i certainly don't invoke moronic ahistorical justifications to bolster my failing point.

This is the one guy that actually might benefit from Wiki. :lol:

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:13 pm

The reference to "ricer" kind of pigeon-holed him right off the bat. I seriously doubt he would benefit from anything.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:24 pm

$1:
I might be convinced to buy American, but even then, there are better built import trucks on the market now.

I'll be the first to call bullshit on that one. They make bigger ones now, will they be a heap of rust flakes in a decade like all the other Japanese trucks?