CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:17 pm

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
Gunnair Gunnair:
Irrelevent.

Trying to establish the double standard undermines your argument.

Forcing someone to listen O Canada is no different than forcing them to listen to the Lord's prayer. If you want to force O Canada, then be prepared to listen to others say their prayers.

Simply saying that something is irrelevant doesn't make it so.

Is Canada defined by Christianity? Is the Lord's Prayer about Canada at all?

No.

But O Canada, is.

What country are you in when you stand for O Canada? Canada.
Are you in church when you sing the Lord's Prayer at school? No.
A Church is defined by the Lord's Prayer. So it makes perfect logical
sense that it not be there. Unless you are in a catholic school. Then SURE,
have the Lord's Prayer daily.

Canada is no more simplistically defined by its anthem than it is by the Lord's Prayer.

Your anguish at the thought of a Christian prayer is no different than the anguish some may feel at the thought of nationalist dogma with Christian and militaristic overtones all wrapped up in a catchy song.

Try to be a bit more open minded to other's dogma if you wish people to be open to yours.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:17 pm

DerbyX DerbyX:
Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
What does O Canada force? All it screams is unity for Canadians!

What does forcing people to recite religious prayers do if they don't believe? Isn't it harmless?

That was the argument.
Religious prayers force religion.

What is there not to believe about O Canada? The very essence of Canada itself?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:21 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
Canada is no more simplistically defined by its anthem than it is by the Lord's Prayer.

Your anguish at the thought of a Christian prayer is no different than the anguish some may feel at the thought of nationalist dogma with Christian and militaristic overtones all wrapped up in a catchy song.

Try to be a bit more open minded to other's dogma if you wish people to be open to yours.

Christian and Militaristic overtones in O Canada?

Where?

I'm sorry, I don't take acid while listening to our anthem. I haven't heard any "Bombs bursting in the air" or such.

It says GOD. Oh boogy woogy wu. Then interpret it differently. God can mean anything. I view the use of god as hope into the future. And it's not just Christianity that has a God either.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:23 pm

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:

Where?

Good question. We stand on guard for thee?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:23 pm

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
DerbyX DerbyX:
Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
What does O Canada force? All it screams is unity for Canadians!

What does forcing people to recite religious prayers do if they don't believe? Isn't it harmless?

That was the argument.
Religious prayers force religion.

What is there not to believe about O Canada? The very essence of Canada itself?

Some people don't believe in patriotism like that. They instead follow lines of faith or ideology.

You have met those of faith. What about ideology? I know people who consider themselves environmentalists above all else. For them country means nothing but mother earth is everything.

Get the picture?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:26 pm

DerbyX DerbyX:
Some people don't believe in patriotism like that.
Why are they in Canada? Seriously if you can't stomach the national anthem you don't belong here.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:27 pm

Well if you add the three threads on this together we are up to 16 pages on this topic with no signs of stopping.....

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:28 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
DerbyX DerbyX:
Why are they in Canada? Seriously if you can't stomach the national anthem you don't belong here.

Loads are Canadian. I met lots of English in England who hated all that rah-rah English patriotism stuff.

They were born and bred englishman.

We have them here and for good reason.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:29 pm

DerbyX DerbyX:
Some people don't believe in patriotism like that. They instead follow lines of faith or ideology.

You have met those of faith. What about ideology? I know people who consider themselves environmentalists above all else. For them country means nothing but mother earth is everything.

Get the picture?
What I believe in is the following quote:

"If you don't believe your country should come before yourself, you can
better serve your country by livin' someplace else."
- Stompin' Tom Connors

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:30 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
DerbyX DerbyX:

So it is ok for a Canadian to not want to listen of participate in the singing of the US anthem every day in school (or anywhere where they do that daily, and it is common), but if someone else does the same in Canada, it is a disgrace? :?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:31 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:

Where?

Good question. We stand on guard for thee?

I don't know. Maybe 'True Patriot Love' is a declaration of war in his mind?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:32 pm

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
DerbyX DerbyX:

Get the picture?

- Stompin' Tom Connors

Define "serve your country".

The US has that motto and prospers yet loads and loads of them hold allegiance to their state or religion or ideology.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:34 pm

Brenda Brenda:
RUEZ RUEZ:
DerbyX DerbyX:

So it is ok for a Canadian to not want to listen of participate in the singing of the US anthem every day in school (or anywhere where they do that daily, and it is common), but if someone else does the same in Canada, it is a disgrace? :?

Ok I'll concede that some children may be going to school in Canada because their parents moved here for work or some similar circumstance. However if you immigrated here and you can't stand hearing the anthem you're in the wrong country.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:36 pm

DerbyX DerbyX:
Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
DerbyX DerbyX:

Get the picture?

- Stompin' Tom Connors

Define "serve your country".

The US has that motto and prospers yet loads and loads of them hold allegiance to their state or religion or ideology.

I don't care what people do with their other beliefs. They can do whatever.

My only interest here is Canadians being connected by being Canadian.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:37 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
Brenda Brenda:
RUEZ RUEZ:

Ok I'll concede that some children may be going to school in Canada because their parents moved here for work or some similar circumstance. However if you immigrated here and you can't stand hearing the anthem you're in the wrong country.

The kids who have to listen to them have no choice.

They (all kids, not just immigrant kids) probably couldn't care less if the anthem was played every day or not. Mine wouldn't care. They would sing it just as loud as anyone. They don't miss it now.

It's the parents that make an issue out of it. And in this case, a grandma that overreacted big time...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 4  5  6  7  8  9  10 ... 18  Next