bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:27 pm

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
I agree with SigPig.

For example, I don't support the A-Stan mission.

But I still want O Canada implemented in schools daily.

If I had my way, I'd have students singing it in French and English everyday until they graduated from High School.

And you don't think people will grow sick and tired of it?

We learned the Wilhelmus (dutch anthem) in grade 6. ONLY grade 6. I still know the lyrics, I've never sung it daily.

Being proud of your country, or nationalism, shouldn't be forced by singing the anthem daily.

Pride should be taught by making history classes interesting, by making social studies interesting. Not by pushing an anthem through your throat everydday...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:27 pm

DerbyX DerbyX:
Like Kim Jong Ill has his people and their version of "Patriotism"? Like the USSR had and their allegiance to the state?

Patriotism is great. I have defended Canada against all comers while traveling abroad but "forcing" people to sing the anthem isn't great either. Do the english sing "God save the Queen" before every school day? No, yet they are one of the most patriotic people around.

The same ideology behind that is the same ideology behind saying religious prayers every day as a means to install religion in people.

Lets celebrate our achievements and culture but lets not force it lest we cheapen it and defeat the purpose we do it.

They aren't forcing them to sing it. I didn't always sing it when It played at my school.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:28 pm

what Derb said :lol:

(welcome back hunni :P)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:31 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
I agree with SigPig.

For example, I don't support the A-Stan mission.

But I still want O Canada implemented in schools daily.

If I had my way, I'd have students singing it in French and English everyday until they graduated from High School.

Congratulations, you've surpassed Streaker in maturity.

I have *no* idea if you are being sarcastic or not.

You're good with that.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:33 pm

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
I have *no* idea if you are being sarcastic or not.

You're good with that.

Not this time.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:33 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
DerbyX DerbyX:
Like Kim Jong Ill has his people and their version of "Patriotism"? Like the USSR had and their allegiance to the state?

Patriotism is great. I have defended Canada against all comers while traveling abroad but "forcing" people to sing the anthem isn't great either. Do the english sing "God save the Queen" before every school day? No, yet they are one of the most patriotic people around.

The same ideology behind that is the same ideology behind saying religious prayers every day as a means to install religion in people.

Lets celebrate our achievements and culture but lets not force it lest we cheapen it and defeat the purpose we do it.

They aren't forcing them to sing it. I didn't always sing it when It played at my school.

Thats right. They aren't forcing them to sing but they also said they didn't force kids to recite the lords prayer (though I was) in principle.

The ideology is still the same. The religious prayer recitation people also said that "non-christians" were welcome to stand silently during recitation of the lords prayer.

That was not good enough. While I support the fact that we aren't all christian but we are all Canadian I still dislike forced patriotism.

There are better ways.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:35 pm

Brenda Brenda:

We learned the Wilhelmus (dutch anthem) in grade 6. ONLY grade 6. I still know the lyrics, I've never sung it daily.

Being proud of your country, or nationalism, shouldn't be forced by singing the anthem daily.

Pride should be taught by making history classes interesting, by making social studies interesting. Not by pushing an anthem through your throat everydday...

I don't CARE if they grow tired of it.

Have you ever met a Canadian student? They aren't tired of O Canada.
They hate the idea of it. Canadian teenagers are snivelling little punks who
can't stand for 2 god damn minutes to show the even one iota needed
among our people to even call ourselves a nation.

And I'm all for making the classes more "Canadian".

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:38 pm

DerbyX.

The difference between O Canada and The Lord's Prayer?

When you are in school, you are in Canada, and are a Canadian citizen.

Not a church. The mentality isn't the same.

If you are in a church and refuse to do the Lord's Prayer, I assume those
around you would be wondering what the hell you are doing there.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:39 pm

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
Brenda Brenda:

There you go. You don't CARE about anything but your view on this...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:40 pm

DerbyX DerbyX:
Thats right. They aren't forcing them to sing but they also said they didn't force kids to recite the lords prayer (though I was) in principle.

The ideology is still the same. The religious prayer recitation people also said that "non-christians" were welcome to stand silently during recitation of the lords prayer.

That was not good enough. While I support the fact that we aren't all christian but we are all Canadian I still dislike forced patriotism.

There are better ways.

Nobody in my school was forced to do the lords prayer. There were a few Indian(from India) girls in my class and every day they went into the hallway when the lords prayer was said. Likewise anyone who doesn't want to sing o Canada could just sit there or go into the hallway. I personally would find that offensive but I'm big enough to understand that some people have different beliefs then me. What they are forcing people to do is not sing the anthem in class. Why should the majority be dictated to by the minority when accomodating the minority by making them leave would be just as easy?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:42 pm

Brenda Brenda:
Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
Brenda Brenda:

There you go. You don't CARE about anything but your view on this...

O Canada wasn't written to be entertaining, Brenda.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:45 pm

:lol: Funny...
Some schools never sing it... I don't hear anybody complain about that. Just now that this school quits singing it everyday, it is an issue...

Kinda... hypocritical, isn't it?

Oh, MrC, something else... indoctrination isn't entertaining, and the overreaction to this isn't either.

Last edited by Brenda on Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:45 pm

Brenda, appairently only 53% of Canadians can tell you the first line of O Canada.

So I believe in extreme action.

Obviously telling the students the lines to O Canada once in Grade 6 isn't
going to help this country.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:46 pm

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
DerbyX.

The difference between O Canada and The Lord's Prayer?

When you are in school, you are in Canada, and are a Canadian citizen.

Not a church. The mentality isn't the same.

If you are in a church and refuse to do the Lord's Prayer, I assume those
around you would be wondering what the hell you are doing there.

Yet the ideology is the same. Force the belief, install allegiance, and restrict any belief otherwise.

Think about it. How many other civilizations did this in history? How many were less then desirable?

Flag-waving is great, when its done like you do it. Free and of your own clear will. Blind patriotism leads to great tragedy because it installs the belief that you can't question the state.

I respect and like you. You are a good kid with a few minor quirks but please trust me that simply waving the flag doesn't make one Canadian nor imply they know what we are about.

Simply singing the anthem doesn't do that and may also have the opposite effect as people get turned off.

I'd be supporting the anthem every week and on special occasions but every day and the message is lost.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:46 pm

Brenda Brenda:

No people will not get sick and tired of it. I did not see anyone who was didn't want to "put up" with the anthem every morning.

You did it differently, only doing it in grade 6 is fine for you. In my opinion that runs the risk of people treating it like a requirement they need to get through. Just like any other assignment or test.

If that is how the Dutch have decided is best for them then please by all means. But, why is that now used as a reason for getting rid of it here in Canada? This isn't Holland or anywhere else and just because other countries do things differently is not necesarrily, in my eyes, a legitimate reason for change here.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 ... 18  Next