Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:38 pm

Just imagine if I moved to Saudi Arabia where their country is defined by it's muslim religion. Despite that I ask them to not sing their anthem so much because, despite that I was aware they are a muslim country it offends my delicate sensibilities. I don't think I'd get far.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:39 pm

Brenda Brenda:
So it is ok for a Canadian to not want to listen of participate in the singing of the US anthem every day in school (or anywhere where they do that daily, and it is common), but if someone else does the same in Canada, it is a disgrace? :?

I know that if I was living in a country, temporary or not that I would respect the way that they choose to do things.

I may not like the pledge of allegiance or feel any attachment to it because I am a born and raised. But if I find myself living in the states for whatever reason, I won't go running to the principal and demand they stop playing it. Thats just being ignorant and selfish.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:40 pm

Brenda Brenda:
The kids who have to listen to them have no choice.
Why, are they strapped to their chairs and forced to listen? They can't walk out of the classroom?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
I don't care what people do with their other beliefs. They can do whatever.

My only interest here is Canadians being connected by being Canadian.

Thats my point. You mirror religious decrees of the day. They didn't care if people believed or not only that everybody recite and acknowledge their god.

Think about it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

SigPig SigPig:
Brenda Brenda:
So it is ok for a Canadian to not want to listen of participate in the singing of the US anthem every day in school (or anywhere where they do that daily, and it is common), but if someone else does the same in Canada, it is a disgrace? :?

I know that if I was living in a country, temporary or not that I would respect the way that they choose to do things.

I may not like the pledge of allegiance or feel any attachment to it because I am a born and raised. But if I find myself living in the states for whatever reason, I won't go running to the principal and demand they stop playing it. Thats just being ignorant and selfish.
[B-o]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

Ohh, I agree with that, neither would I. I would just tell my kids to suck it up :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:41 pm

See the French guy kicked the shit out of the Hawaiian. And for you so called "Canadians" that didn't watch GSP on the UFC.

Piss off

P.S i think he's related to Dion

Last edited by hwacker on Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:42 pm

DerbyX DerbyX:
Thats my point. You mirror religious decrees of the day. They didn't care if people believed or not only that everybody recite and acknowledge their god.

Think about it.

Who was forcing people to recite and acknowledge their God?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:44 pm

The principal is a fucking asshole. Done.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:44 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
Brenda Brenda:
Why, are they strapped to their chairs and forced to listen? They can't walk out of the classroom?

Well... in our school, the system reaches the hallways too. And the playground...

Then again, WHY would you want to get out of the classroom? Same reason as not going to the principal to complain...
What you guys are saying is: hey, you are in Canada now, suck it up! Not everybody would do that in another country, don't expect everybody to be as patriotic as you guys are.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:45 pm

DerbyX DerbyX:
Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
I don't care what people do with their other beliefs. They can do whatever.

My only interest here is Canadians being connected by being Canadian.

Think about it.

And again, this country is not a church. We aren't defined by such a beleive. We don't expect people to be religious.

I view Canada being an option to go to, like a Church is.

You go to a church, you recite the lords prayer, and they can care
less about what else you do.

You go to Canada, you recite O Canada, and they care
less about what else you do.

If it's a Catholic or religious school, then whatever, have any religious
ramblings you want. But in a regular school, the only thing that all those
students in that school are unified by is Canada.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:46 pm

Tricks Tricks:
The principal is a fucking asshole. Done.

And with that, this argument is over. Thanks

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:47 pm

Brenda Brenda:
What you guys are saying is: hey, you are in Canada now, suck it up!

That's exactly what I would tell them. Why are they here if they don't want to hear our National anthem? I suspect these people will never go to a remembrance day ceremony either, cause hearing the national anthem is too hard for them. If they don't like the anthem, then fuck off.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:47 pm

Brenda Brenda:
RUEZ RUEZ:
Brenda Brenda:

Well... in our school, the system reaches the hallways too. And the playground...

Then again, WHY would you want to get out of the classroom? Same reason as not going to the principal to complain...
What you guys are saying is: hey, you are in Canada now, suck it up! Not everybody would do that in another country, don't expect everybody to be as patriotic as you guys are.

I know in my school the principal could communicate with individual rooms, I'm sure they could sing the anthem without it being transmitted into the hall. Or for that matter they could just sing it in the classroom without anything going over a P.A.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:48 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
DerbyX DerbyX:

Think about it.

Who was forcing people to recite and acknowledge their God?

That was the argument. PA recitation of the lords prayer didn't actually force people to recite the prayer nor believe. Thats what they said.

They said that just because the majority of the kids were "believers" and a few were not does not mean they should not have daily recitation.

The analogy is perfect.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 5  6  7  8  9  10  11 ... 18  Next