Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:34 pm

romanP romanP:
TattoodGirl TattoodGirl:
romanP romanP:
I'm talking about people like Alan Jackson who either write ignorant crap about things that didn't happen to them, or songs that are essentially a commercial for a car company.

totally agree with you...The only country I will listen and happen to have all albums in The man in black Johnny Cash

Jello Biafra and Mojo Nixon made a pretty ridiculous country album together. I kind of wish Jello and Cash had done something together, but that seems unlikely.

That would have been pretty damn cool actually.

Btw...I particularly like UFOs, Big Rigs and BBQs :lol:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:34 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
Does anyone like Kenny Rogers or is that just me?

No, it's just you. You and Kenny Rogers. And his tenor saxophone.

Last edited by romanP on Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:35 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
Does anyone like Kenny Rogers or is that just me?

The only tune I know from him is The Gambler...and I sing it on poker night as a distraction :lol:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:37 pm

Jello Biafra also covered Johnny Paycheque's "Take This Job And Shove It."

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:37 pm

Write a melody in G major using only 3 chords, have the steel guitar play in A minor, put on cowboy hat and boots, sing with gravelly voice...presto, country.

Oh forgot, you must mention a Chevy pickup in the lyrics.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:38 pm

romanP romanP:

No way...I have to check that out. Very cool :D

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:50 pm

TattoodGirl TattoodGirl:
romanP romanP:

It's on Bedtime for Democracy. Get it used or download it, don't buy from Manifesto Records.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:53 pm

romanP romanP:
TattoodGirl TattoodGirl:
romanP romanP:

It's on Bedtime for Democracy. Get it used or download it, don't buy from Manifesto Records.

OH YA...never mind...I have the freakin album...why the hell couldnt I grasp that :?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:19 pm

It is any music that makes you happy the study says.

So if it's a downer song then it doesn't count.

Who knows maybe some death metal gets you happy :rock:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:50 am

I don't care how healthy it is for me, it's whiny, creepy, childish crap. Country music is only good for childrens television programming, because it's for simple minds and helps the children learn that the world has pretty shitty things.

We have a country radio station here in town (it's Alberta, and close tot he Yankee brder, I'm just thankful that it isn't the ONLY music) and they just repeat about 20 country songs oveeer and over and over again. It hasn't changed in 3 years....

I've hated country since I first heard it... When my favoutire radio station (and the only one I could get a signal of) was re-designed and turned country. God it sucked!

Which is my excuse for downloading LimeWIre and saying "Fuck the Radio".

Thanks for sticking around for the story.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:21 am

I love country. It's pretty awesome.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:27 am

lily lily:
TattoodGirl TattoodGirl:
romanP romanP:
I'm talking about people like Alan Jackson who either write ignorant crap about things that didn't happen to them, or songs that are essentially a commercial for a car company.

totally agree with you...The only country I will listen and happen to have all albums in The man in black Johnny Cash

That's it...... you're officially OLD.

I listen to Cash.... [huh]

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:04 am

romanP romanP:
No, and that makes them a bunch of emotional fraudsters, capitalising on other peoples' tragedy. Music should be genuine, I don't care what genre it is.

So I guess by your standards jello biafra is also a 'fraudster'. After all, he didn't write, HE COPIED Johnny Paycheck's song!

MOST singers, of all genres sing songs written or co-written by others.

As far as Allan Jacksons 'Where Were You', I would have to say that it came directly from his own personal experience, as 9/11 affected everyone in some way. Some more than others. Perhaps he KNEW someone who perished that day and was thus inspired. Regardless for his reasons, he was awarded 'Song of The Year' of ALL genres!

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:22 pm

Yogi Yogi:
romanP romanP:
No, and that makes them a bunch of emotional fraudsters, capitalising on other peoples' tragedy. Music should be genuine, I don't care what genre it is.

So I guess by your standards jello biafra is also a 'fraudster'. After all, he didn't write, HE COPIED Johnny Paycheck's song!

He didn't copy it, he covered it. This is not an uncommon thing for musicians to do. And getting back to the point, since copying songs has nothing to do with what I was talking about, Jello Biafra is ote]not capitalising on other peoples' tragedies, in fact he is vehemently against doing just that. He covered Johnny Paycheque's song out of solidarity with the working class,

$1:

Where are you going with this? That has absolutely nothing to do with capitalising on other peoples' tragedy or what's wrong with doing that.

$1:
As far as Allan Jacksons 'Where Were You', I would have to say that it came directly from his own personal experience, as 9/11 affected everyone in some way.

Sure, he happens to live in the same country as the World Trade Centre existed in. That doesn't mean he was in or even anywhere near New York City when it happened.

$1:
Some more than others. Perhaps he KNEW someone who perished that day and was thus inspired. Regardless for his reasons, he was awarded 'Song of The Year' of ALL genres!

Being awarded for emotional fraud isn't something to be proud of.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:06 pm

romanP romanP:
Yogi Yogi:
romanP romanP:

He didn't copy it, he covered it. This is not an uncommon thing for musicians to do. And getting back to the point, since copying songs has nothing to do with what I was talking about, Jello Biafra is ote]not capitalising on other peoples' tragedies, in fact he is vehemently against doing just that. He covered Johnny Paycheque's song out of solidarity with the working class,

$1:

Where are you going with this? That has absolutely nothing to do with capitalising on other peoples' tragedy or what's wrong with doing that.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

$1:
As far as Allan Jacksons 'Where Were You', I would have to say that it came directly from his own personal experience, as 9/11 affected everyone in some way.

Sure, he happens to live in the same country as the World Trade Centre existed in. That doesn't mean he was in or even anywhere near New York City when it happened.

$1:
Some more than others. Perhaps he KNEW someone who perished that day and was thus inspired. Regardless for his reasons, he was awarded 'Song of The Year' of ALL genres!

Being awarded for emotional fraud isn't something to be proud of.