Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:20 am

lily lily:
Pimpbrewski Pimpbrewski:
I completely agree with the Golf Club.

$1:
but he told CBC that the policy was introduced a few years ago after prospective members - in particular East Asian immigrants - started applying with the help of translators.

All of this is a matter of common sense. They cannot expect to rule everywhere they go. About time someone took a stand. :)

Don't like it, then go play somewhere else. Better yet, there are golf courses in Asia, go there. And while you are at it, bring Lily with you. :lol:

Why?

Ah c'mon. Admit it, it was funny (at least at the time I posted it). :lol:

Did not mean to point you out in particular. Still, seriously Lil, BC is an English province, therefore people residing there should have the decency to have at least speak the language of the locals. If we let this go, pretty soon, Vancouver for instance, will only be speaking Mandarin, or whatever other languages they speak. This cannot be tolerated. That's all.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:04 am

*sigh* because the rednecks will be afraid to go there, my ex and her family got stuck in Vancouver for 2 days coming back from Hawaii. One of their chief complaints were that "there are so many chinks there...", 8O I think after that was said it was the beginning of the end of my relationship with her and her family. Which is another reason why I want to move back out west, New Brunswick is just too backwards for me.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:32 pm

There are a lot of Asian immigrants in Vancouver, it usually the first stop whether arriving by plane or by sea, it is large, it is accommodating, and there is no shortage of work.

While I support a multi-cultural society, I also beleive there should be some assimilation such as the ability to speak english and especially to follow our laws!!

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:58 pm

lily lily:
I questioned why you mentioned my name since I haven't said they should allow non-English speaking members.

If Vancouver becomes a Mandarin-speaking area, it will come about due to natural evolution. Why shouldn't it be tolerated?

Since you seem to always take their side, it would be kinda funny to see you go and reside there. Surely, you would have to adapt and learn the local language in order to do the simplest task. They would not tolerate ''your'' language over there.

It only makes sense that they should make a conscious effort to at least learn both official languages of this country, English and French. Many are welcomed here still do not bother to integrate. The problem here is that they are so many already, completely taking over a community and making it their ''own'' , that they do not even bother.

Also, cannot figure out why these people, instead of bitching about ''English only'' establishments, instead should simply go to another club.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:14 pm

stokes stokes:
There are a lot of Asian immigrants in Vancouver, it usually the first stop whether arriving by plane or by sea, it is large, it is accommodating, and there is no shortage of work.

While I support a multi-cultural society, I also beleive there should be some assimilation such as the ability to speak english and especially to follow our laws!!

Good point. Wonder if the natives felt that way when our ancestors came?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:24 pm

Economic reality. Don't speak English, no one will interview them. No interviews, no English no viewers, advertisers pull out. They go, the Tour goes....

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:26 pm

Pimpbrewski Pimpbrewski:
It only makes sense that they should make a conscious effort to at least learn both official languages of this country, English and French.

Why?

How many native Canadians can speak both totally fluently? 10%? 20%? There are lots who speak one fluently and can muster basic conversation in the other, but very few who are truly fluent in both. In some places, I'd even question whether they speak either one....If we can't do it, why should immigrants have to?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:36 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
Pimpbrewski Pimpbrewski:
It only makes sense that they should make a conscious effort to at least learn both official languages of this country, English and French.

Why?

How many native Canadians can speak both totally fluently? 10%? 20%? There are lots who speak one fluently and can muster basic conversation in the other, but very few who are truly fluent in both. In some places, I'd even question whether they speak either one....If we can't do it, why should immigrants have to?

Oh, one word can make such a difference.

It only makes sense that they should make a conscious effort to at least learn one of the official languages of this country, English or French.

But either way, it sure would be nice, next time someone goes to any convenience store, that the person behind that counter could actually be understood.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:29 am

herbie herbie:
Economic reality. Don't speak English, no one will interview them. No interviews, no English no viewers, advertisers pull out. They go, the Tour goes....

Exactly right...with the LPGA, it's a business
decision only, and a logical one from a commercial
perspective. It just got screwed up a bit with
the "suspension" factor being what the media chose
to isolate on and run with.
Media = bullshit.