Category: Misc CDN
Posted By: WDHIII
Date: 2008-05-14 07:59:26
Canadian

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:00 am

So the price of crude goes up, the oil industry rakes in billions, and we want the government to CUT its share of that? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard!

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:44 pm

hurley_108 hurley_108:
So the price of crude goes up, the oil industry rakes in billions, and we want the government to CUT its share of that? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard!

Riiiight....so its dumb to lower government over taxation? Food prices are going up too, should we raise the GST to get a bigger piece of that?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:49 pm

commanderkai commanderkai:
hurley_108 hurley_108:

Riiiight....so its dumb to lower government over taxation? Food prices are going up too, should we raise the GST to get a bigger piece of that?

There is no GST on food, in case you hadn't noticed. Also, gas isn't a necessity whereas food is. Probably pert of the reason there is no GST on food.

If you want lower gas prices/bills, DRIVE LESS!

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:55 pm

hurley_108 hurley_108:
hurley_108 hurley_108:

There is no GST on food, in case you hadn't noticed. Also, gas isn't a necessity whereas food is. Probably pert of the reason there is no GST on food.

If you want lower gas prices/bills, DRIVE LESS!

Gas is a necessity. I'm not sure where the hell you live, but where I am, there is no efficient mass transit system. My school and my place of work isn't a block away. Gas to about 95% of all households is a necessity for living, since there's no bus stop of subway.

But lets keep taxing hard working Canadians trying to go to work, in which they pay more taxes, and then at the end of the day they go home to pay taxes on that. But yes, drive less, I'll walk from one side of Windsor to the other to go get my degree, you're brilliant.
:roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:58 pm

57 per cent of Canadians want gas tax lowered: poll

How American of them :lol:

http://www.thestar.com/News/USElection/article/420202

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:02 pm

Gas is a necessity.

Will you die if you don't get gas? You will if you don't get food. Food, water, and shelter are necessities. Nothing else is.

$1:
I'm not sure where the hell you live, but where I am, there is no efficient mass transit system. My school and my place of work isn't a block away. Gas to about 95% of all households is a necessity for living, since there's no bus stop of subway.

So move. When we bought our place, access to public transportation was one of our top concerns, as we've only got one car. I actually have structured my life around being able to use transit. It can be done, if you want to. You just don't want to.

$1:
But lets keep taxing hard working Canadians trying to go to work, in which they pay more taxes, and then at the end of the day they go home to pay taxes on that. But yes, drive less, I'll walk from one side of Windsor to the other to go get my degree, you're brilliant.

Don't look to government to solve your problems for you. Look to yourself, and your fellow man who have created the urban sprawl that strains transit systems and makes cars seem like a necessity when they really aren't.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:04 pm

Gas is a necessity. I'm not sure where the hell you live, but where I am, there is no efficient mass transit system. My school and my place of work isn't a block away. Gas to about 95% of all households is a necessity for living, since there's no bus stop of subway.

Gas might be a way of getting around but it is not a necessity. Don't buy gas for four days and let us know if you are still alive. Then try it with water. I'll be sure to send flowers...

I assume from your argument you might live in a rural area near Windsor. If you want to pay less gas taxes, start car pooling to school/work wherever you have to go. Or better yet, buy a more efficient vehicle. Need something bigger than a compact, then buy a fuel efficient sedan. If you really need a pickup, buy a 6 cylinder instead of a F350.

There are plenty of ways to cut back on comsumption but far too many people are used to driving their own vehicle everywhere by themselves. Then they sit in a drive through for 5-10 minutes, drive 20+ kms over the speed limit and bitch that gas costs too much.

I switched from a gas guzzling 6 cylinder sedan last year to a 4 cylinder diesel sedan and I couldn't be happier. My fuel costs have diminished by at least 50%, more if diesel is cheaper than gas, which it usually is.

Last edited by bootlegga on Wed May 14, 2008 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:06 pm

Tax oil company profits! If they threaten to leave, say Thank you.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:07 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
Gas might be a way of getting around but it is not a necessity. Don't buy gas for four days and let us know if you are still alive. Then try it with water. I'll be sure to send flowers...

I assume from your argument you live in a rural area. If you want to pay less gas taxes, start car pooling to school/work wherever you have to go. Or better yet, buy a more efficient vehicle. Need something bigger than a compact, then buy a fuel efficient sedan. If you really need a pickup, buy a 6 cylinder instead of a F350.

There are plenty of ways to cut back on comsumption but far too many people are used to driving their own vehicle everywhere by themselves. Then they sit in a drive through for 5-10 minutes, drive 20+ kms over the speed limit and bitch that gas costs too much.

I switched from a gas guzzling 6 cylinder sedan last year to a 4 cylinder diesel sedan and I couldn't be happier. My fuel costs have diminished by at least 50%, more if diesel is cheaper than gas, which it usually is.

That too. We downsized from a turbo Volvo to a Corolla three years ago. We still haven't caught up to what we used to spend to gas it up.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:09 pm

My Jetta is amazing.

About 700 km on 40 litres in the city and almost a 1000 (!) on the highway. I drove from Edmonton to Calgary to Banff to Jasper and back home last year and didn't need to fill it up!

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:13 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
My Jetta is amazing.

About 700 km on 40 litres in the city and almost a 1000 (!) on the highway. I drove from Edmonton to Calgary to Banff to Jasper and back home last year and didn't need to fill it up!

That is impressive. We get about 800km on 50L of gas on the highway. With GPS and a little box that reads fuel consumption right off the computer, we can also make highly accurate guesses as to where else we can fill up than inside the parks, too, where everything is hideously expensive.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:14 pm

hurley_108 hurley_108:
Will you die if you don't get gas? You will if you don't get food. Food, water, and shelter are necessities. Nothing else is.

In the fact that most food retailers are miles away, and the school even further, then yes to my life gas is necessary to assist in living. There aren't any general stores anymore, and I don't have a horse and carriage to move around. So yeah, we need a form of transportation

$1:
So move. When we bought our place, access to public transportation was one of our top concerns, as we've only got one car. I actually have structured my life around being able to use transit. It can be done, if you want to. You just don't want to.

Brilliant idea. Move. I'm glad you enjoy the quality of the city bus, and the crowded subway. But guess what? Alot of cities DONT FUCKING HAVE THAT. But you're right, I should transform my entire life just because there is no bus system. Let's move to Toronto! :roll:

$1:
Don't look to government to solve your problems for you. Look to yourself, and your fellow man who have created the urban sprawl that strains transit systems and makes cars seem like a necessity when they really aren't.

Wait? You're saying municipal governments have no involvement in this? Nor all of the government bureaucracy that collect taxes that provide mass transit? Nor the bureaucracy that hands out building permits and such? Oh my mistake, this is just a human problem. Its my fault that the city government decided not to build a better transit system. Its my fault that this is the government's fault.

I do not want a government solution. Government solutions suck, like the mass transit system in Windsor, and in Detroit, and Oshawa, and basically every city I have lived in. I have the solution, its called a car. The car does not make me wait 45 minutes for a bus that makes me wait another 20 minutes to get where I want, since a car can get be there in 15 minutes.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:17 pm

hurley_108 hurley_108:
bootlegga bootlegga:
My Jetta is amazing.

That is impressive. We get about 800km on 50L of gas on the highway. With GPS and a little box that reads fuel consumption right off the computer, we can also make highly accurate guesses as to where else we can fill up than inside the parks, too, where everything is hideously expensive.

I have gotten 880 on the highway traveling at 110KMH (50L)do 100 and it would be even better. I get between 750 and 825 in the city.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:19 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:

You're right, if I don't buy gas I won't die, but if I don't have gas, and I need food, I'm pretty much screwed.

$1:
I assume from your argument you might live in a rural area near Windsor. If you want to pay less gas taxes, start car pooling to school/work wherever you have to go. Or better yet, buy a more efficient vehicle. Need something bigger than a compact, then buy a fuel efficient sedan. If you really need a pickup, buy a 6 cylinder instead of a F350.

We do carpool, and the roads we have would tear apart compacts. Either way, your solutions are cute and all, but complete ignore the fact that gas prices are also artificially high due to high government taxes.

Why can't we lower taxes to help all Canadians?