canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 New York Rangers
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:08 pm

Excluding a kid seems counter to what the season represents, for both religious and non-religious people. As for the "jumping to prejudices" poster, your bias is showing.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:56 pm

I was pretty appalled when I read this story in the paper this morning.

I want to say that kids don't care about the religious side of Christmas, but I know that's a broad way of putting into words what I'm trying to articulate. Kids love Christmas more for the traditions, the presents, the story of Claus and time off school more than the religious aspect of it.

You're right though themasta, it does counter what the season represents.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:18 pm

three three:
lily lily:
Brenda Brenda:
I have kinda mixed feelings about this story...

First off, despite the fact of your non-religion, why would you not let your child attend the RE classes? Education, even on topics you don't believe in, is always an addition. I cannot understand why this child didn't attend the classes, and the school was okay with that.

Second, as a school, you cannot exclude children from any activity.

I agree with you on the first point - I think it's good to know about the major world religions. It won't hurt anyone, and may foster understanding.

The second part... schools can indeed exclude kids from activities, and they do.

Schools exclude children as punishment. They also exempt children from activities on the request of the family. They do NOT exclude children on their own, unless for punishment. Punishment has been meted out here, but is not appropriate.

I agree, it is very petty. Let the non-believers have a bit of sodding cake! Might be a chance to convert 'em!

The whole thing is not very Christian. Wouldn't happen in a Catholic school, you gotta be baptised in the faith to get in. Makes life easier, non-believers need not apply.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:56 am

$1:
I've helped out at the Christmas party before and it's got absolutely nothing to do with Jesus.

What an ass. :roll:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:59 am

Brenda Brenda:
Was it a religeous school? I don't think so. So they cannot teach your kid what it MUST believe.

Public schools frequently require students to hold certain views against religion, for gun control, against conservative and traditional values, and for global warming and environmental alarmism.

Fix these problems and I'll be happy to side with you on the religious issues. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:10 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Brenda Brenda:
Was it a religeous school? I don't think so. So they cannot teach your kid what it MUST believe.

Public schools frequently require students to hold certain views against religion, for gun control, against conservative and traditional values, and for global warming and environmental alarmism.

Fix these problems and I'll be happy to side with you on the religious issues. :wink:

Really? All I have found from my kids Public education is the right to form their own opinion based on their own research...If you dont like public schools or free thought dont send your kids there, its pretty simple. Same as why would you send a child to a school that teaches RE, if you are not religious...its senseless.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:16 pm

TattoodGirl TattoodGirl:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Brenda Brenda:

Really? All I have found from my kids Public education is the right to form their own opinion based on their own research...If you dont like public schools or free thought dont send your kids there, its pretty simple. Same as why would you send a child to a school that teaches RE, if you are not religious...its senseless.

Is your kid free to say, "I do not believe that homosexual people should get married." at their school?

Could they have an unfettered discussion about how much they enjoy hunting and target shooting at their school?

Can your kid meet with other kids at lunchtime and have a Bible study if they want?

Can they submit an essay on how much they love Stephen Harper and be assured that the only thing they'll be graded on is grammar and composition?

If all of this could go on at a public school there would not be so much demand for private schools. :idea:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:22 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
TattoodGirl TattoodGirl:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Brenda Brenda:

Is your kid free to say, "I do not believe that homosexual people should get married." at their school?

Could they have an unfettered discussion about how much they enjoy hunting and target shooting at their school?

Can your kid meet with other kids at lunchtime and have a Bible study if they want?

Can they submit an essay on how much they love Stephen Harper and be assured that the only thing they'll be graded on is grammar and composition?

If all of this could go on at a public school there would not be so much demand for private schools. :idea:

As a matter of fact they are free to say that. They take in pictures and share the meat from hunting trips.

My kids arent religious, they wouldnt have bible study, but you can have any group you want.

And yes they can submit any topic, however controversial and be marked in the way appropriate...My son got an A on a very contraversial topic about his beliefs on abortion, unlike mine, the teacher said she was proud because he didnt back down from his beliefs....

How about those private schools...Cant do much against the grain there...try again.

The teachers at the schools these guys go too, bring up the most controversial topics and have, sometimes very heated, debates in the classroom. I love that fact, unlike private religious schools where it is only one train of thought.

Maybe the demand is in the US, the education is probably better in the private system...it is evident that your public school system fails most children...So much for not one child left behind, they all are.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:30 pm

Jeez, the more and mroe I hear about what other schools are doing wrong, the more I feel my school is doing things right.

No one is required to take or do anything outside of the set curriculum, no one is excluded from activities of any kind and are encouraged to attend, students are encouraged to broaden their horizons, learning about other cultures is promoted but not forced, and there is no politically correct BS such as "Happy Holidays". People are free to say that if they want, but all around the school you will find notices for Christmas, Chanukah and Kwanzaa parties, along with other religious holidays.

Hell, in the cafeteria, we have a "Namaste" mural and every year around Christmas you will always find banners and murals saying: "Merry Christmas", or "Happy Chanukah", or "Happy Diwali", or "Happy Eid", etc., etc.

On top of all that, we have Christian Fellowship Club, Jewish Culture Club, The Muslim Culture Club and while there isn't yet a club for eastern religions, they get their own Asian New Year festival in the cafeteria every year.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:30 pm

Bart's example pretty much defines the Ontario public schools. Elementary and Secondary.

The kid next door got suspended for three days because as he entered the school on a cold day last winter----he remarked "GW is a real disappointment today." As his "emergency contact" that was summarily quashed.

The principals excuse was that he was creating a disruption and cited instances were he had been sent to the office for pointing out 'inconvenient truths' in "The Inconvenient Truth" during class-room discussion.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:36 pm

$1:

Yep. There is the Gay/Straight Alliance Club at my old High School that's sole purpose is to debate and understand the whole issue.

$1:

Yep. My school is that liberal. There isn't a club about it, but people freely talk about summer hunting trips and what not in the halls.

$1:

Yep. It's called Christian Fellowship Club. I was even in it last year.

$1:

Yes, they can. It's a free world, isn't it?

$1:
If all of this could go on at a public school there would not be so much demand for private schools.

Well it all goes on at Glebe Collegiate Institute here in Ottawa. The same can be said for a few other schools in the immediate area(such as Lisgar). Glebe actually prides itself on its multiculturalism and diversity. We're also pretty good when it comes to academic achievement as well. ;) :P

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:38 pm

sasquatch2 sasquatch2:
Bart's example pretty much defines the Ontario public schools. Elementary and Secondary.

The kid next door got suspended for three days because as he entered the school on a cold day last winter----he remarked "GW is a real disappointment today." As his "emergency contact" that was summarily quashed.

The principals excuse was that he was creating a disruption and cited instances were he had been sent to the office for pointing out 'inconvenient truths' in "The Inconvenient Truth" during class-room discussion.

Maybe his parents should have challenged the decision, thats how you get change made....There was a grade three substitute teacher that told my son that eating moose meat was wrong and he would have to go home to eat it...He asked her if she was vegetarian, she said no...he then said at least the moose he was eating had a life before it died...I was called down, she didnt like me much, I proceeded to pass out deer jerky, after a very 'nice' discussion.

My advice is if a child is having a problem at school, it is the duty of the parent to challenge the decision, particularily if beliefs or opinions, not hateful opinions, are stifled.

**excuse my spelling today, day one of quitting coffee and smoking and i just cant concentrate**

BTW...Merry Christmas Everyone!!! Hope its safe and Happy!!! Cheers Cya in the New Year!!!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:40 pm

$1:
BTW...Merry Christmas Everyone!!! Hope its safe and Happy!!! Cheers Cya in the New Year!!!

Same to you!!! :D

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:41 pm

Arctic_Menace Arctic_Menace:
Jeez, the more and mroe I hear about what other schools are doing wrong, the more I feel my school is doing things right.

No one is required to take or do anything outside of the set curriculum, no one is excluded from activities of any kind and are encouraged to attend, students are encouraged to broaden their horizons, learning about other cultures is promoted but not forced, and there is no politically correct BS such as "Happy Holidays". People are free to say that if they want, but all around the school you will find notices for Christmas, Chanukah and Kwanzaa parties, along with other religious holidays.

Hell, in the cafeteria, we have a "Namaste" mural and every year around Christmas you will always find banners and murals saying: "Merry Christmas", or "Happy Chanukah", or "Happy Diwali", or "Happy Eid", etc., etc.

On top of all that, we have Christian Fellowship Club, Jewish Culture Club, The Muslim Culture Club and while there isn't yet a club for eastern religions, they get their own Asian New Year festival in the cafeteria every year.

Sounds very much like the schools here!!! Some peoples biases are based in one sided and isolated incidents, ignorance is bliss.