Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:53 am

Wada Wada:
How enlightened, eh! Judge an entire nation by the actions of a few. You might notice that their justice system did not bend to the wishes of this few or she would have suffered lashes and months in jail or even death. :roll:

This is true. Unless the government actually goes execute the teacher.. this is just the actions of a bunch of protesters.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:53 am

Wada Wada:
How enlightened, eh! Judge an entire nation by the actions of a few. You might notice that their justice system did not bend to the wishes of this few or she would have suffered lashes and months in jail or even death. :roll:

If it were only the actions of a few. Its not about us not being enlightened its about us simply allowing them to live in the kind of society that their culture and religious beliefs bring.

I think that the harshness of their jail and the fact that it was obviously not intended as blashemy greatly outweighs the punishment and I support them being allowed to do such things without western interference.

Its because they do such things that I hold an opinion of as little contact as possible.

It seems pretty fair and reasonable to me.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:54 am

So it is completely normal to lock someone up because she let children pick a name for a teddybear?

That is not a few, that is the justice system. How can you defend this?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:55 am

It seems pretty fair and reasonable to me.[/quote]

I have no doubt it does. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:57 am

While I've not been in the Sudan, I lived and worked in the region(Somalia and Ethiopia) over a three year period. These people are the rule not the exception.

Last edited by ShepherdsDog on Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:57 am

Brenda Brenda:
So it is completely normal to lock someone up because she let children pick a name for a teddybear?

I can defend this the same way some Small c Canadians can infer that "they" should live as Canadians, referring to anyone different from outside Canada. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:01 am

Wada Wada:
Brenda Brenda:

I can defend this the same way some Small c Canadians can infer that "they" should live as Canadians, referring to anyone different from outside Canada. :wink:

We aren't expecting them to be like us though. I did post that right? In fact I always hold they are entitled to their society as they see fit regardless of what kind it is.

I just hold the opinion that we shouldn't waste our resources on societies that would do that to our people and I certainly don't support forcibly changing their attitudes.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:02 am

Wada Wada:
Brenda Brenda:

That is lame, and bullshit.

She had children name this teddybear. If a Sudanes muslim in Canada had had children name the teddybear Jesus, who would have cared? Exactly, no one.

There is no way people can say: she should have known, it is culture/religion. Like I said before, how about all the boys called Mohammed/Muhammed? Are all those parents going to be locked up or killed? Or is that not blasphemy?

The KIDS named the bear Muhammed, because it is a very popular name. How can that be blasphemy? Exactly, because she was a white English woman.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:06 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
While I've not been in the Sudan, I lived and worked in the region(Somalia and Ethiopia) over a three year period. These people are the rule not the exception.

May I ask what sort of work?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:07 am

I worked for an NGO. We worked mainly with the UNHCR and UNICEF, which is primarily why I have nothing but contempt for the UN and the bureaurats that run it. It was there that I got involved in de mining(I had already received a fair bit of demolitions training with the military prior to this) and decided to go back to school for a civil engineering degree. I've found that I've contributed more to the world with this than with my degree in education.

Last edited by ShepherdsDog on Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:23 am

Brenda Brenda:
Wada Wada:
Brenda Brenda:

That is lame, and bullshit.

She had children name this teddybear. If a Sudanes muslim in Canada had had children name the teddybear Jesus, who would have cared? Exactly, no one.

There is no way people can say: she should have known, it is culture/religion. Like I said before, how about all the boys called Mohammed/Muhammed? Are all those parents going to be locked up or killed? Or is that not blasphemy?

The KIDS named the bear Muhammed, because it is a very popular name. How can that be blasphemy? Exactly, because she was a white English woman.

There is a big difference between naming a son in hopes that some of the qualities of the namesake might connect with the name, and a toy bear. As I understand it there were many Sudanese who disagreed with the charges. A few launched a complaint, a few more a verbal attack and the courts punished her leniently. What an absolutely horrible nation. Lets us punish them all! :roll:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:27 am

Wada Wada:
There is a big difference between naming a son in hopes that some of the qualities of the namesake might connect with the name, and a toy bear. As I understand it there were many Sudanese who disagreed with the charges. A few launched a complaint, a few more a verbal attack and the courts punished her leniently. What an absolutely horrible nation. Lets us punish them all! :roll:

We aren't "punishing them". We are simply saying that until you clean up your act we aren't going to have any contact with you.

Aren't we allowed to make that choice as a society just as they are allowed to choose erasons to jail somebody?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:30 am

DerbyX DerbyX:
Wada Wada:

We aren't "punishing them". We are simply saying that until you clean up your act we aren't going to have any contact with you.

Aren't we allowed to make that choice as a society just as they are allowed to choose erasons to jail somebody?

Maybe as a "society", maybe. But as part of that society I say I disagree. It's really just that simple. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:40 am

Wada Wada:
DerbyX DerbyX:
Wada Wada:

Maybe as a "society", maybe. But as part of that society I say I disagree. It's really just that simple. :wink:

Its as much your right to disagee as mine to agree. Thats part and parcel to our society.

They don't seem to hold such distinctions. Thats part and parcel to their society.

Don't get me wrong. I support them fully being able to have whatever society they want but they should also reap what they sow with regards to that society.

If it brings violence then its up to them to change it and not us to change it for them.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:55 am

DerbyX DerbyX:
Wada Wada:
DerbyX DerbyX:
Wada Wada:

Its as much your right to disagee as mine to agree. Thats part and parcel to our society.

They don't seem to hold such distinctions. Thats part and parcel to their society.

Don't get me wrong. I support them fully being able to have whatever society they want but they should also reap what they sow with regards to that society.

If it brings violence then its up to them to change it and not us to change it for them.

They actually seem to hold such distinction as there were many who sided with the teacher. I thought they counted. Derby I don't think we disagree too much but to punish a whole nation for the actions of a few seems a wee bit overboard to me. :wink: