bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:52 pm

And you seemed to be suggesting you had some sort of special, northern woodsman knowledge it was wood chip piles that started those fires that year the smoke blew into town.

Got any kind of factual support to back that up there, Yukon Joe, king of the office servers?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:57 pm

Can't read either?
No wonder you like Trump. He just makes things up in his head and argues that instead when he's stuck, too.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:59 pm

herbie herbie:
Can't read either?
No wonder you like Trump. He just makes things up in his head and argues that instead when he's stuck, too.

I can read well enough to see you're flaying around pretending you have a point.

But you don't.

First no facts. Now no point. What will you run out of next. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:14 am

False cause, red herring, straw man, ad hominem, do you even know what those are? THe things you don't use to make your point, not the only things you use.
Point is you've been denying climate change for years, and you're critisizing the city for NOT taking C02 emissions as their top consideration.
It's like your incessant "proggie" bullshit, you fail to realize that if you're not even capable of progressive thought, you're simply incapable.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:31 am

herbie herbie:
False cause, red herring, straw man, ad hominem, do you even know what those are? THe things you don't use to make your point, not the only things you use.
Point is you've been denying climate change for years, and you're critisizing the city for NOT taking C02 emissions as their top consideration.
It's like your incessant "proggie" bullshit, you fail to realize that if you're not even capable of progressive thought, you're simply incapable.

Why even fall for his bait Herb? You know what he's like, after all these years. He has no desire, nor ability to properly debate an issue, and never wants to. He'll happily misquote you or the fallacies of logical debate in order to score points on whatever scoreboard he has invented in his mind.

Let him have his joy. It may be all he's got left.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:36 am

herbie herbie:
BTW there's a biomass plant in my own town, huge project. Shut down until new parts get here from Spain. The chip pile's been put out twice since it closed, the land it's built on was once 30 ft deep of smouldering sawdust.
Mills are just like oil and mines. Shut down leave a mess for the public to clean up. Only the trees from their allotments still grow so they ship them out of town. Fuck you over twice.

I get most of this but the last bit. The company ships the trees that grow on the property. To a saw mill?? sorry I just don't understand what's happening here. Can you clarify it some for me.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:45 am

CharlesAnthony CharlesAnthony:
Cartoon Dioxide!

Ha!!! I'm going to use that one!!! R=UP

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:51 am

stratos stratos:
herbie herbie:
Only the trees from their allotments still grow so they ship them out of town. Fuck you over twice.

I get most of this but the last bit. The company ships the trees that grow on the property. To a saw mill?? sorry I just don't understand what's happening here. Can you clarify it some for me.

Most of the industry in Herb's part of the world is based on harvesting lumber. A company is given an allotment of Crown land to harvest, and they pay $X per tree (stumpage fee) to harvest trees.

The US has always fucked us over on that, because in the US the land is privately owned, so the owner determines price.

Because of softwood tariffs, it is cheaper to ship the raw logs to US mills (the situation they want) and Canadian mills close down for lack of supply. Again, what the US softwood industry wants. The only domino left is for Crown land to be sold to Private Industry.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:53 am

herbie herbie:

One more time then...

Global warming is not a straw man if one of the OP's points was burning wood was part of the fight against it.

My telling you it's an ineffective strategy is no kind of a straw man.

I keep reminding my little proggie buddies. You need to learn what the terms you keep trying to hijack actually mean.

As to Doc, yeah, yeah whatever...you suck too.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:56 am

This shit is hilarious. For years we used paper bags until the envirotards got all worked up about deforestation. 30 some odd years later and now suddenly wood (and bio-mass) are being touted as renewable. Really now. So what, we only just figured out how to plant a fucking tree in the last 5 years or something?

This is why I NEVER Listen to envirotards. Thy don't know shit and they rarely have any reasonable solutions. Just a bunch of knee-jerk idiocy.

And let's take a look at bio-mass. It's "renewable" although it wasn't for some reason 30+ years ago. It uses the same technology as coal-fired plants (scrubbers and carbon capture) that aren't good enough for coal despite being developed, in part, for coal-fired plants. And what is coal other than super concentrated bio-mass?
So the question that needs to be asked is this. How many BTUs does a ton of coal produce vs a ton of bio-mass? And what would generate more emissions per kwH, coal or bio-mass?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:06 pm

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
So the question that needs to be asked is this. How many BTUs does a ton of coal produce vs a ton of bio-mass? And what would generate more emissions per kwH, coal or bio-mass?

No, the question is how much radiation and heavy metal poisoning does coal power produce, and how badly is it affecting the farm industry, per KW/h.

current-events-f59/nature-science-omnibus-thread-t119974-300.html#p2354879

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:13 pm

Myself, the question I'd be asking is why don't they use natural gas? The infrastructure was already there.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:22 pm

Myself is why does the Gov own so much of the timber land, then they go and cut a crap deal for timber that forces so many mills to close. Yet it's America's fault your Gov. put themselves into this predicament.

I know it sucks but dang it's your Gov. Put the blame where it belongs. If the deal is crap and you sign for it any way don't blame the other guy.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:27 pm

stratos stratos:
Myself is why does the Gov own so much of the timber land, then they go and cut a crap deal for timber that forces so many mills to close. Yet it's America's fault your Gov. put themselves into this predicament.

I know it sucks but dang it's your Gov. Put the blame where it belongs. If the deal is crap and you sign for it any way don't blame the other guy.

No, it's your softwood industry insisting the way we've always done business is unfair because it's not the way they do business, and getting teir paid congressmen to put tariffs on our products.

We've tried many times in the last 200 years to fix the problem, but the US softwood industry is always spiking the log.

And the Crown owns the land because it's Crown land. Crown = Federal in our system. You have Federal land, don't you?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:47 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
stratos stratos:

No, it's your softwood industry insisting the way we've always done business is unfair because it's not the way they do business, and getting teir paid congressmen to put tariffs on our products.

We've tried many times in the last 200 years to fix the problem, but the US softwood industry is always spiking the log.

And the Crown owns the land because it's Crown land. Crown = Federal in our system. You have Federal land, don't you?

Yes but we don't do all of our lumbering on just Federal land. Look it comes down to this if you don't want to do business with someone don't. If you don't like the rules of the game change them or find someone else to play with. Hell get into a tariff war with the USA about this.