PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:24 am

Title: ICE has struck a deal to track license plates across the US
Category: Law & Order
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2018-01-29 06:56:12

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:24 am

I wrote it way back when it was revealed that this data was being collected, recorded and never deleted. The citizens of the US have now lost a bit more of their civil liberties under the guise of 'illegals'.

And what happens there, happens here. Just in a tighter bubble. I'm sure they scan and record our plates too, just they don't talk about it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:55 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
I wrote it way back when it was revealed that this data was being collected, recorded and never deleted. The citizens of the US have now lost a bit more of their civil liberties under the guise of 'illegals'.

And what happens there, happens here. Just in a tighter bubble. I'm sure they scan and record our plates too, just they don't talk about it.

They can. A guy in my class worked on it if I remember right. As they drive around a camera scans the license plate of the car in front of them and looks up registration automatically and flags the officer if anything is wrong.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:04 am

Tricks Tricks:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

They can. A guy in my class worked on it if I remember right. As they drive around a camera scans the license plate of the car in front of them and looks up registration automatically and flags the officer if anything is wrong.

In the US, they have parking enforcement vans that drive around looking for expired plates, unregistered plates, or other violations. They even have things like photo radar also read plates.

The thing is, they keep that data beyond just looking for violations. Now they are creating a database of all the plates, and the dates, time and places they they have been recorded - creating a profile of every driver it the US where this data is kept. Some places have legislated the data be deleted once it's used, but many others don't.

s
I trust this information would never be abused, right?
/s

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:21 pm

I laugh at those TV shows where someone 'calls in a favour' so the cops look up a plate.
Joe at Acme Toll and Parking could do it in three seconds.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:12 pm

The City of Sacramento has placed a boatload of surveillance cameras and license plate readers at hundreds of major and neighborhood intersections with the stated purpose of creating a database of where people go and when they go there.

Someone I know has made a sport of shooting the damned things and for once I am adamantly in favor of vandalism. R=UP

http://www.kcra.com/article/so-what-exa ... o/10217039

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:26 pm

Tricks Tricks:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

They can also do oncoming traffic.
Last time I was in BC, got pulled over by having my plate read
by a cop coming the other way.
Nice guy, had a nice chat with him. :)

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:31 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
The City of Sacramento has placed a boatload of surveillance cameras and license plate readers at hundreds of major and neighborhood intersections with the stated purpose of creating a database of where people go and when they go there.

Someone I know has made a sport of shooting the damned things and for once I am adamantly in favor of vandalism. R=UP

http://www.kcra.com/article/so-what-exa ... o/10217039

Happy hunting! [B-o]