Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2016-06-27 06:15:02

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:23 pm

If we were able to bring in 25 000 Syrians, can we bring in 25 000 Ukrainians as well? They are in just as much need, and in some ways taking care of their needs would be significantly easier than Syrian refugees.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:48 pm

Absolutely. Bring them in!

Mind you, I am biased, being of Ukrainian origin. My ancestors came to Canada in the late 1800's and my paternal grandfather in 1929 from Ukraine. I am from the first generation not to be raised up on a working farm. But everything I ever learned about hard work and doing what needs to be done I learned from my grandparents, having spent all my childhood summers into my teens on their farm. The old, simple way of life is ingrained in me and I cherish that.

Other Ukrainian immigrants I've known and worked with or who have been children of parents who immigrated here have all been hard working people. There are so many in Canada already and integration would not be as much of an issue as it is with people from other places.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:00 pm

Want to start a petition?

I do have one caveat, no men between 16 and 65 who aren't the fathers of a family unit. I'm not nearly as concerned about security as I was with the Syrians. That said, the best way to end a war-based refugee crisis is to win the war. If Eastern European culture is still the same as it always have been, then the men should be fighting to get their country back, even if we in the west now consider the concept of men fighting and the women running to be sexist. Anything we can do to help encourage this scenario will hopefully end the displacement of those people sooner.

Last edited by Canadian_Mind on Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:00 pm

Funnily enough, the last time Canada took in a bunch of Ukranians, they went and elected a commie

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:22 pm

There's two main reasons why we won't let them in. The first is that there's no benefit in it for the *Liberals because Euro-refugees are more nuanced and won't blindly become perpetual Liberal party voters just because "they let me in". The second reason is more obvious and plain to see, but I won't mention it out loud because of what will surely happen around here. It's the same reason we'll leave the Afrikaans to get slaughtered in South Africa instead of letting more of them immigrate here, even though the benefit of what educated and civilised like that (ditto with more Ukrainians) would bring to Canada is obvious.

* I'd expect the Conservatives to do the exact same thing too, after all their bluster about deporting those illegal Tamils that showed up on that ship got exposed to be a bunch of bullshit. Ukrainians or South Africans wouldn't be so easily pigeon-holed into the low-wage TFW game either that turned out to be the major Conservative interest in increased immigration.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:44 pm

Canadian_Mind Canadian_Mind:
bring in 25 000 Ukrainians as well? They are in just as much need, and in some ways taking care of their needs would be significantly easier

Thinking white people have ever been refugees, anywhere, at any time.

Silly guy.

:wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:41 am

I live in Poland, in the east side of the county, nearby the boundary with Ukraine. In my city, where are a lot of universities, there are a lot of refugees. They study with us, they learn the polish language. I am glad that we are helping them but a there are a lot of voices against this nation which are caused by the bloody history of our lands, wars and massacres.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:14 am

The West doesn't care because they're the wrong color.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 32.21 KiB | Viewed 610 times ]
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:25 am

BRAH BRAH:
The West doesn't care because they're the wrong color.

The west doesn't care because people like us aren't motivated enough to make noise about it.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:53 am

koneffka koneffka:
I live in Poland, in the east side of the county, nearby the boundary with Ukraine. In my city, where are a lot of universities, there are a lot of refugees. They study with us, they learn the polish language. I am glad that we are helping them but a there are a lot of voices against this nation which are caused by the bloody history of our lands, wars and massacres.

Welcome to CKA! [BB]

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:57 am

Canadian_Mind Canadian_Mind:
If we were able to bring in 25 000 Syrians, can we bring in 25 000 Ukrainians as well?

No, and for a few reasons;

1. They're white people and Liberals hate white people.

2. Ukrainians tend to be evangelical Christians and Liberals hate evangelical Christians.

3. Ukrainians tend to hate communists and Liberals hate people who hate communists.

4. Ukrainians tend to be hard working people with an entrepreneurial spirit who eschew government handouts. Liberals hate people who don't need Liberals.

5. Did I mention that they're white people?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:02 am

Why do we have to bring them anywhere?
$1:
'Internally displaced persons' struggle to find new homes and jobs in their own country
They're in their own functioning country and not being persecuted, nor living in the area of conflict. Is that really what we are going to define as refugees now? That's going to open our doors pretty wide all over the world.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:15 am

$1:
There's two main reasons why we won't let them in. The first is that there's no benefit in it for the *Liberals because Euro-refugees are more nuanced and won't blindly become perpetual Liberal party voters just because "they let me in".

Jesus Christ you guys steep in your own bullshit way too much. Voting for a party in perpetuity just because "they let you in" is not a thing, it's just another right-wing conspiracy. And on what basis would you think Euros would be less likely than any other group anyway?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:32 am

andyt andyt:
They're in their own functioning country and not being persecuted, nor living in the area of conflict.

WTF? The Donbass and Crimea is where these people are from and they've been forced out by the Russian war against Ukraine.

And they're no longer living in the area of conflict and that's what makes them refugees - they left their homes in search of refuge.