bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:58 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Just in case anyone hadn't heard, the drivers that came off the highway were ripping up and down dirt roads shooting up huge clouds of dust. And there was no straight road through the reserve that connects to the highway further on, so these clowns were hauling ass up private driveways and back down again when they found that the roads terminated at someone's house. The highway repairs have been a botch all summer, but that's the feds fault for their poor planning. I don't see where the Morleys have to put up with a flood of vehicles ripping through their territory, especially when the short-cutting efforts all led to nowhere. White people on farms and acreages don't have to put up with this crap on the dirt roads around their properties, and kick up holy hell with the RCMP and municipalities when it happens, so I don't see why the Natives should have to put up with the same thing either. Consider the $20 toll a fee for being an asshole, not just for thinking that someone's private land is merely another through-way, but also for speeding, tailgating, kicking up dust, and all the other belligerent behaviour these drivers were deliberately doing.

And another thing too. I've driven it enough times to be able to say that I consider that stretch of the TransCan from Banff to Canmore to Calgary one of the most dangerous roads I've ever been on. And that's not because the road is badly designed. It's because Banff and Canmore are big-money towns, and are full of yuppies with their high-end vehicles who act like total maniacs when they hit the highway. I've sped through there doing 120 or 130 kmh myself and I've still gotten tailgated by the bastards that live around there. The whole area is a gold mine for the RCMP because of all the speeding tickets they hand out every day. But even with the extra cruisers and helicopters it still does nothing to slow the idiots down. These are the same clowns who decided to rip through Morley and I'm completely certain they showed the same lack of respect to the people on the reserve that they do all the time on the regular highway.

This isn't a race thing so don't play it out as one. It was bad and dangerous drivers being their typical lousy selves and some of them got stung for $20 when the Natives wouldn't put up with their crap. Find some other hill to fly the flag on because the bad drivers that set this mess off don't deserve defending from anyone. :evil:

Yep, and even the provincial government agrees with them.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:49 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Khar Khar:
The roads on a native lands are not, first of all, a highway; these are dirt/gravel roads. The distinction is somewhat important as highways are created by the provincial government and have a separate set of care and laws. Secondly, most were made by the Natives themselves for private use, rather than by the government using government resources. Many end at someone's home.

The definition of 'Highway' in Alberta law, as it is in most Provinces:

$1:
(g) "highway" means any thoroughfare, street, road, trail,
avenue, parkway, driveway, viaduct, lane, alley, square,
bridge, causeway, trestleway or other place, whether
publicly or privately owned
, any part of which the public
is ordinarily entitled or permitted to use for the passage or
parking of vehicles, and
(i) includes
(A) a sidewalk (including the boulevard portion of
the sidewalk),
(B) if a ditch lies adjacent to and parallel with the
roadway, the ditch, and
(C) if a highway right of way is contained between
fences or between a fence and one side of the
roadway, all the land between the fences, or all
the land between the fence and the edge of the
roadway, as the case may be,
but
(ii) does not include a place declared by the Lieutenant
Governor in Council not to be a highway;

https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/stat/ ... c-h-8.html

Dirt and gravel roads are 'highways', as are private driveways. Unless the Lt. Governor says they aren't. :)

Most roads in the Province, including those running through reserves, are 'Public Highways'.

Guess this is why you shouldn't go by what a tax lawyer is telling you about highway law. :P

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:47 am

Khar Khar:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Dirt and gravel roads are 'highways', as are private driveways. Unless the Lt. Governor says they aren't. :)

Most roads in the Province, including those running through reserves, are 'Public Highways'.

Guess this is why you shouldn't go by what a tax lawyer is telling you about highway law. :P

So I'm guessing that puts BF a lot farther down the list. :lol:

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Well perhaps that's an agreement with that particular band. But at any rate a reservation is not open to the general public and outsiders have no right of passage on or through a Reservation.

Ya, I don't think so, but you are welcome to prove your bullshit.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:18 am

The proof is that police and the provincial government have both publicly stated this you ignorant moron.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:20 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
The proof is that police and the provincial government have both publicly stated this you ignorant moron.

How about you prove your bullshit for a refreshing change? That might require you to actually read something though you might not be up to the task.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:28 am

Winnipegger Winnipegger:
And no, my driveway is not a public highway just because it doesn't have a gate. My property is my property. It starts at the property line designated by the land title registered with the Property Registry of Manitoba.

Your property is your property, but under the definition of 'Highway' in Manitoba, it is also a 'highway' under the law. It doesn't mean you lose ownership of it, it means certain laws apply. If you want to make it into a 'private road', then the Highway Traffic does not apply. But so long as anyone can park in your driveway, it's a 'highway'.

These are the rules the Gimli Motorsports park operates under. It is a 'private road', and if it weren't a private road then people would get in all sorts of trouble for the things that happen there. ;)

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:30 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Well perhaps that's an agreement with that particular band. But at any rate a reservation is not open to the general public and outsiders have no right of passage on or through a Reservation.

As above, the reserve had marked some roads a 'private road'. That gives them the right to control access to them, and charge 'admission' or whatever.

But not to all the roads!

$1:
We saw the private property signs and knew it would have been a privilege and not our right to have gone across their land,” said Cori van Keulen, who tried to take the shortcut. “But they did have the opportunity to help get all this traffic moving—people who didn’t know where they were going, who didn’t know where the next main entrance onto Highway 1A was.”

http://globalnews.ca/news/2185346/drive ... in-morley/

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:43 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:

How about you prove your bullshit for a refreshing change? That might require you to actually read something though you might not be up to the task.

Fail.

You just called yourself out. Well done! [B-o]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:06 am

In what way?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:08 pm

I'm not sure if the Canadian reservations are like the American ones. If similar then it is THEIR land and almost a separate country onto its self. If this is the case they have every right to charge foreigners who wish to pass thru.