Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:01 am

They deserve to be treated fairly by our laws as anyone else. Just as allowing speech you don't agree with is the test of free speech, so is treating people you don't agree with in as fair a fashion as people you do. That's what freedom is all about. Freedom isn't rewarded, but an inherent right - as those on right like to remind us. We don't get to pick and choose who we award constitutional freedoms to.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:14 am

andyt andyt:
They deserve to be treated fairly by our laws as anyone else. Just as allowing speech you don't agree with is the test of free speech, so is treating people you don't agree with in as fair a fashion as people you do. That's what freedom is all about. Freedom isn't rewarded, but an inherent right - as those on right like to remind us. We don't get to pick and choose who we award constitutional freedoms to.

Abuse freedoms, then lose your "inherent" rights.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:15 am

Nope. You're still treated according to our laws - that remains your right.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:24 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
Do you have actual proof and not just his lawyers claim that Omar Khadr was one of the Bagram and Guantanamo inmates tortured or are you lumping him in with the actual ones who had information that the Americans extracted with prejudice?

I know the person in charge of his interrogation at Bagram was later convicted of lying and of torturing a guy to death at Bagram. (That guy, by the way, had no information. He was just the wrong guy.) I know at military prisons in Afghnaistan, Iraq, black sites and Guantanamo torture was routinely practiced around the time of Khadr's capture.

$1:
As for me being in the wrong country, maybe I am because the country I served for over 30 years has definitely gone off the rails during the last half century and alot of it is thanks to self loathing liberal attitudes like yours.

What a fucking drama queen. We live in one of the most peaceful and prosperous countries on Earth, in no small part due to human rights and rule of law. "Gone off the rails." Sheesh. Anyways, Libya and Syria now seem more akin to your ideas of rough justice. No trials there. Line 'em up and kill 'em. Right down your alley.

What a fucking apologist. :wink:

You're the one whining about Omar's rights as a Canadian while forgetting the rights of the people he killed and injured or, their families. He admitted to tossing the grenade then suddenly after receiving legal advice decided to recant his testimony even though that conflicted with his own admission and the Americans after action report. Then, he sues for millions of dollars. See a pattern here?

So, tell me why would the US troops have made a story up about him tossing a grenade when their medics could have just left him bleed out like he requested. The only thing that makes any sense would be to bring him to justice?

Although, TBH I do love your answer about torture. Torture happened around the time he was in incarcerated therefore he must have been tortured. Like I said where's the proof, other than that he was yelled at and made to do mundane repetitive tasks during the day which is along way from torture? Were others tortured? Yes/ Do I feel bad about it no. Do I believe Omar was tortured. No, for the simple reason he had no real relevant information the Americans needed or wanted so why would they invest that time torturing him when it could be better used getting information from the other assholes in their custody. Did he use the torture card to get repatriated and sue for millions. Yes and to be honest I'd have done it to given how sympathetic our judicial system is to criminal victims.

Sure, Canada is a great place, much better than Syria or Libya because like you say we have the rule of law to keep it that way but, for the last half century there's been a constant slow eroding of those laws by self serving people with agenda's which has changed the landscape of the country and not always for the better.

It Seems to me that alot of people spout off about the rule of law but, only want the ones they like to be enforced and to hell with any that conflict with what they want or desire.

You know I`ll end my participation in this gong show by saying. I'd have been extremely happy if they left him rot in prison for eternity but, if they just had to release him, then parole the fucker because giving him another trial and the ability to sue the Canadian gov't defies logic especially given the fact that we didn't capture him, we didn't try him, we didn't allegedly torture him and we didn't incarcerate him. Which means we're being fucked over for things we had no control over and given the direction our judicial system seems to take these days, the little shit and his lawyer are likely going to walk away very rich men and the only hope for justice is that Sgt Speers widow wins her lawsuit and gets some of that money.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:00 pm

Omar's charter rights began once he returned to Canada....they're non existent elsewhere

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:15 pm

All I can say, is that nothing in the case is certain, so unless something can be made certain in the form of a conviction, then he must be released in accordance with both American and Canadian laws.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:23 pm

the only hope for justice is that Sgt Speers widow wins her lawsuit and gets some of that money.

On that we're agreed. If she got every dime, I'd consider that the least sorry ending.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:36 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
the only hope for justice is that Sgt Speers widow wins her lawsuit and gets some of that money.

On that we're agreed. If she got every dime, I'd consider that the least sorry ending.

R=UP

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6