Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 Tampa Bay Lightning

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:14 am

Vegas http://www.reviewjournal.com/weather/it ... w-probably
Atm the wind is cold and brute for normal Las Vegan's. Oh and crime shoot way up starting last night. National Guard has arrived in Vegas today for Drill's, and provide aide to LVMPD. Our storm is coming from Arizona, Hoover Dam and Utah direction. Mother Nature's Desert advocate :twisted: .

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:19 am

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
Bumper cars!

Let's watch 30 million Californians suddenly discover Newton's laws of motion!

We generally don't do too bad with snow. Up on the passes east of here there's been about 30cm of snow in the past 72 hours with up to two meters of snow in the past month.

We put on chains, drive slow, and we get through it just fine. In my experience, though, the people who consistently get into trouble are the urbanites who go to the mountains in their expensive BMW or Mercedes AWD and then think that just because they spent $80,000 on the car it gives them the right to ignore the laws of physics.

Upside: Come the spring there's always a nice availability in high-end parts at the salvage yards. 8)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:24 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
the people who consistently get into trouble are the urbanites who go to the mountains in their expensive BMW or Mercedes AWD and then think that just because they spent $80,000 on the car it gives them the right to ignore the laws of physics.

Upside: Come the spring there's always a nice availability in high-end parts at the salvage yards. 8)

No argument, tho I would add the pickup truck suburbanites who think because they have off road tires they will do well on ice. Not so much.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:43 am

Watch out for that Nissan Mallfinder!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:10 pm

$1:
Residents in Los Angeles suburbs were dealing with near-freezing temperatures, snow and ice early Thursday as a blustery winter storm swept across the West.

Further south, even Las Vegas suburbs were hit with unexpected snow flurries.

The winter weather came as an extremely unusual surprise for the two areas - which are both known for sunny weather and much warmer temperatures.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ear-s.html

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:56 pm

Went down there for a Feb. wedding a couple years back, my sister'd also flown in from Nova Scotia. Woke up and the niece was cheering her school was closed for a snow day.
There wasn't even two inches on the ground out there in Abbotsford.We laughed at that!

Wonder if freakinoldguy was around for the big dump was it '64 or '65? Closed my elementary school in Burnaby and it was right across the street. For a week we tobogganed down the driveway and crashed into the school door... that was the most snow I remember ever!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:05 pm

I don't recall any particular winter, but in the 60's and 70's we got snow every winter. There were sometimes 3 foot banks where the sidewalks had been shoveled, the snow would stick around for a couple of weeks at a time, and when the thaw came it was a big mess with all that snow turning to slush - like walking in a creek.

Speaking of New Year's, I recall a winter where my buddy and I drove a couple of girls way out maybe as far as Haney from Vancouver after a party. We were hoping for a reward for our valiant effort, but a peck on the cheek was it. It was fun singing Beatles tunes on the way tho. Anyway, I was driving my Stepfather's Peugeot, which had very rounded fenders. Thank God for the fenders, because I was pretty blitzed, and kept bouncing off the snow banks on the side of the road. They had to be at least 4 feet tall, from the plow. Just don't see that sort of weather here anymore.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:18 pm

Hey, you really can go way back, Andy. You remember when there used to be a "Haney". I don't think we say that anymore, do we?

I remember hearing "Haney" stories though. Didn't it used to flood a lot? Wasn't that the era when there were water regs, because summers got so hot and dry.

How far back can you go? Wasn't there some "Climate disruption" way back when, before the days of SUVs? They called it a hurricane, but it was actually a typhoon. Typhoon Frieda, yeah that was it. I just looked it up. There's been nothing like it since.

I can't go back as far as you for giant snowbanks in the lower mainland stories, but I did have to move during the winter of 90 something, and I'll tell you that was horror show. I can personally attest to wet thighs from the snow. No I didn't wet myself, although you might have if you're locked into this idea there's been no snow since the sixties in the lower mainland.

I don't even have to go that far back. Wanna hear my snow shoveling stories from 3 or 4 years back?

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:39 pm

herbie herbie:
'64 or '65? Closed my elementary school in Burnaby

Where the Hell was that? '64-'65 I was kicking around MasPherson Park and Moscrop secondary reform centers.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:52 pm

March 1971 in Québec... some places got 80cm in a 24 hour period, combine that with 110km winds. 8O

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:06 pm

raydan raydan:
March 1971 in Québec... some places got 80cm in a 24 hour period, combine that with 110km winds. 8O

I was skiing with a group down in the Eastern Townships, that day. They saw that it was going bad and they set out to bring us home at noon. It took seven hours to make our way back up the Townships AutoRoute. I saw my first dead body, that day when some poor soul got out of his car to do whatever at a toll booth and the next car ran right over him. We made it to the Fairview Mall in Pointe Claire and we went no further. We all slept on the floor of the Mall. There were several hundreds of us, stranded from all over. The Mall management (Cadillac Fairview) was most gracious about it. There was a grocery supermarket as part of the mall back then (a Steinberg's) and they donated a ton of food of all sorts. They even set up tables and made sandwiches, drinks and fruit to feed us all. They would never have been compensated far any of that. It was a different world ... even forty years ago. I remember us teenagers in our ski clothes sliding down the snow drifts in the mall parking lot to kill time during the night. I even remember falling in unrequited love with some young lovely ski bunny. There were no vehicles moving at all, there. It was impassable until the next afternoon by everything except for Skidoos.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:29 pm

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
raydan raydan:

I was skiing with a group down in the Eastern Townships, that day. They saw that it was going bad and they set out to bring us home at noon. It took seven hours to make our way back up the Townships AutoRoute. I saw my first dead body, that day when some poor soul got out of his car to do whatever at a toll booth and the next car ran right over him. We made it to the Fairview Mall in Pointe Claire and we went no further. We all slept on the floor of the Mall. There were several hundreds of us, stranded from all over. The Mall management (Cadillac Fairview) was most gracious about it. There was a grocery supermarket as part of the mall back then (a Steinberg's) and they donated a ton of food of all sorts. They even set up tables and made sandwiches, drinks and fruit to feed us all. They would never have been compensated far any of that. It was a different world ... even forty years ago. I remember us teenagers in our ski clothes sliding down the snow drifts in the mall parking lot to kill time during the night. I even remember falling in unrequited love with some young lovely ski bunny. There were no vehicles moving at all, there. It was impassable until the next afternoon by everything except for Skidoos.

Hey, can I take some credit for that? I was working for Steinbergs in Missisagua that year, in the warehouse. Even a little...PLEASE...
:lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:39 pm

Holy hell you guys are old. My mother wasn't even born until '75. My grandmother might do better here than I would, she's from '49.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:50 pm

Public_Domain Public_Domain:
Holy hell you guys are old. My mother wasn't even born until '75. My grandmother might do better here than I would, she's from '49.

Me too! '49 that is. You can call me Gramps. :o

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:03 pm

fifeboy fifeboy:
Public_Domain Public_Domain:

Me too! '49 that is. You can call me Gramps. :o

Why would I want to do that young feller?