Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:41 am

Breathing and eating are safety? I just wonder.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:05 am

I feel sorry for kids today with their over-protective parents and schools that have sucked all the fun stuff away from kids. I picture kids at recess just standing around, afraid to do anything that can be interpreted as "dangerous". That's if they even go outside for recess, you know, too hot, too cold, too snowy, too rainy etc..

I remember letting my kids have as much freedom as possible, just so they could act like kids and explore and try different things. Now and then one of them would hurt themselves but that is part of growing up, learning your limits. We as a society are raising kids to never take risks, always take the safe route, and we are going to pay dearly for that as a society.

As a kid if I didn't come home with a new bruise, cut or scrape every day my mom and dad would get suspicious and wonder what I had been up to all day. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:14 am

My fifteen year old daughter is off to six weeks of sailing training, far away from us. My eleven year old son is off to a camp run by the Scouts where he will swim, canoe and use a bow and arrow and sleep outdoors in tents. After that, he spends his summer at a martial arts camp (his choice). No bubble wrap.

When we were growing up, literally all of the fathers in our neighbourhood were all war veterans. Most of them had been exposed to real danger and the sorts of activities that we took part in did not qualify as "real danger". These frightened young parents have obviously not "lived a life" themselves when the most dangerous part of their lives is if the lawwtaaay may be too hot to drink.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:25 am

My kid didn't get to go rafting last year on a school trip. The river was simply too wild. I could understand that. She has her own bow and arrow and shoots it in my yard :)

I don't get why parents here don't sign up their kids for swimming lessons when they are 4-ish.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:31 am

Brenda Brenda:
I don't get why parents here don't sign up their kids for swimming lessons when they are 4-ish.

Because they want to grow up people without any skills. All that kids have to know today is to download and install Steam.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:40 am

PostFactum PostFactum:
Brenda Brenda:

Because they want to grow up people without any skills. All that kids have to know today is to download and install Steam.

I doubt parents want their kids to grow up with no skills. I hope that was sarcastic.

Also, you are not a parent, are you?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:41 am

Brenda Brenda:
PostFactum PostFactum:
Brenda Brenda:

I doubt parents want their kids to grow up with no skills. I hope that was sarcastic.

No, but I promise you that my kids will know how to swim.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:46 am

PostFactum PostFactum:
Brenda Brenda:
PostFactum PostFactum:

:lol:
You missed the point ;-)

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

Warnings: (-20%)
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:27 am

Hyack Hyack:
martin14 martin14:
Happy I'm not a kid these days.

You and me both, also happy not having to try to bring kids up in this "modern" day and age!

As you should be. You spend approximately 15 years going Image

I'm SO glad I'm done with the bullshit years. Now... onto the "drive Mom crazy" just for fun phase. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:33 am

My daughter's last week of Grade 8 at her Waldorf school consisted of the whole class going off wilderness canoe tripping in Temagami (with professional guides). No parents allowed.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:26 pm

Sad indeed. I get the sue happy worrying thing of the school board but has it really come to this. I can see it with all the brutal arrow deaths contributed to summer camps over the years.....

Wooded are by my parents when I was young was full of well trodden paths through it from kids spending hours there including myself. "Oh hunny you're going to play in the woods, climb trees, fight with sticks and do it all with no sun screen or bug spray? Ok have fun!"

Walked through there a few years ago, just to reminisce, and was sad to see that while there are still as many kids in the area there were no trodden paths or tree forts or signs of play in there at all, save for a few nails in an old tree we once had a fort in and ghosts of old paths, the wind through the trees only hinted of the sounds of past forest wars against the kids on the other side of the forest, scrapes, bumps, and stings. Good times!

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:11 pm

I blame the internet. We get so much information about things happening everywhere that rare occurrences seem more common. In days past you would read the local paper and only hear about the crime or the horrible accidents that happened in your area.

Now you're hearing about something scary every time you open your browser. Your conscious mind might know that all that crime you're reading about is spread out all over the world, and that that horrible bow and arrow accident is only news because it's so rare, but subconsciously the world seems ever more dangerous and scary. I believe that's why, even as stats show crime going down, people are more and more fearful of the criminals supposedly lurking around every corner.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:03 pm

Unsound Unsound:
I blame the internet. We get so much information about things happening everywhere that rare occurrences seem more common. In days past you would read the local paper and only hear about the crime or the horrible accidents that happened in your area.

Now you're hearing about something scary every time you open your browser. Your conscious mind might know that all that crime you're reading about is spread out all over the world, and that that horrible bow and arrow accident is only news because it's so rare, but subconsciously the world seems ever more dangerous and scary. I believe that's why, even as stats show crime going down, people are more and more fearful of the criminals supposedly lurking around every corner.

Absolutely.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:26 pm

Unsound Unsound:

I blame the fact that school districts are terrified of being sued by litigious parents the second little Johnny or little Sally gets a scratch.

I seriously doubt school boards are out there to establish an unfunigan world, but I'm willing to bet as they review activities that the have an eye towards being sued.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:28 pm

Brenda Brenda:
PostFactum PostFactum:
Brenda Brenda:

:lol:
You missed the point ;-)

Be less Dutch and we'll pick it up faster.

Oh, and I'd like a Reuben sammich, missy! Those are the skills I appreciate! :P