canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:58 pm

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
The "NIMBYs" had a private deal shoved down their throats.

Not any more than anyone else that lives near some unused land that get developed into something. The area was zoned for industrial use, and was the location of a manufacturing plant.

The argument against the plant doesn't seem very compelling. It sound to be, we don't want it because we don't like it.

Do you think their are any reasonable issues for health, noise or safety?

$1:
The huge costs of ending the projects were due to the utter incompetence of arrogant commissars who tried to shove these projects down the public's throats. Before this is finished, people will go to jail for this, mark my word and it won't be any of those miserable "NIMBYs' who were being forced to live with someone else's dirty deal.
What was or was not the deal isn't the issue I'm arguing for. My point is just that their is no real good reason not to build the plant in that location. And this is just a bunch of rich people crying over some development they don't like because... reasons.

$1:
It wasn't a "development like any other". It was two power plants in one of the nicest, most established neighbourhoods in the entire country.
It was to be built beside a railroad yard, and it's not IN the neighbourhood, but beside it.

But a question WTF does 'established' mean in the context of why you shouldn't build a power plant? Or did you just say 'It was two power plants in one of the RICHEST, most WEALTHY neighbourhoods'?

Would people living in a bunch of crack shacks, with a high crime and a run down neighbourhood have any less of a reason to not have a power plant built near by?

$1:
It started out pretty quietly because it was strictly a private enterprise deal, at first. As I recall, the original business plan had the American owner-operator generating electricity in Canada, using Canadian gas for export to the U.S. (we share a common grid here but electricity usually flows North-to-South).
Everything I've read said it was to provide power to the Toronto area. The trading of electrical power on the grid is a standard operation for all power generators and is required to make the system work.

$1:
You've been reading about this for years, have you? You seem to know surprisingly little about it.
My interest has always been low, it seemed like something that would take some time to pan out. IIRC the first time I heard about this was over the cost. I will admit I never heard or read anything in the lead up to the stopping of the plant.

$1:
If this process had happened in Alberta, people would be taking shots (literally) over the "big government" boogieman forcing the public to take an edict from on high (like the NEP did).
Like I said, most home owners are idiots that can't see past their own fence. If someone wanted to replace the old shut down coal fired power plant in Edmonton with a new gas plant I'm sure all the Hipsters that moved in around it would act just the same. I would also shit on them for their NIMBYism.

$1:
Even Ontarians have the right to fight back against arbitrary authority. You might be a "NIMBY", yourself, one day given the right series of events. Got a sour gas pipeline running through your neighborhood? Was there lot of proper consultation? Did you provincial government approve of it without ever asking you?
Funny you should say so, not long ago I got a letter about some gas main work and changes that were going forward. I couldn't say who approved it because I don't care and never bothered to go to any of the meetings. But the network of high and lower pressure pipes is going to get changed around. I'm taking the view that you don't go and dig up a city for fun so they likely have a valid reason for the changes.
$1:
They suck up huge amounts of oxygen and generate all sorts of CO. Big turbines are noisy, too. Build them outside of residential neighbourhoods. Five, ten kilometer away gets you out of where people live. It's a no-brainer.

When was the last time you toured a natural gas plant, or a coal fired plant, or a nuclear plant?

The are not loud. Or I should say, they are not loud enough to bother people. Also they are much more quiet than railyards and highways.

As for the emissions they pose no risk to human health. Everyone agrees on this point, which is one of the many reasons why natural gas is preferred over coal. Even clean coal.
$1:
BTW, Ontario has had an electricity surplus for years, now. We are generally, a net exporter of electricity even without those gas fired plants, so it appears that they were unnecessary from the beginning,

The power network is a bit more complex than a simple in and out measure. The large amount of nuclear power means that it's economical to run those plants all the time at peak output. During the night even if all the other power plants go into a low standby mode Ontario might still produce more power than it needs. This can lead to a huge amount of net export even if during the day imports might be needed to meet the peak of demand.

A gas fired plant is easy to ramp up and down in production. Also not all sources of power are the same, Ontario still runs coal fired plants. You can't shut those off until you have a replacement. Further with the move to solar and wind power you will need more stand by in the form of gas powered plant to make up demand when the wind and solar plants are in low production.

Building gas fired plants is smart because most of their costs come from the fuel, and they can very quickly power up to meet demand.

That you think Ontario doesn't need gas plants because they are a net exporter of power, just shows you know very little about an integrated power grid. Maybe you should run for public office.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:32 pm

Both of those stations that were cancelled were in ridiculous locations and neither should ever have made it off of the very first list of potential sites. Neither of them should have ever been more than an E-mailed suggestion. That they dug holes, signed contracts paid a shitpile on engineers, consultants of every type, committed to feckin' mega-millions all the while ignoring the public around them, who said from the very beginning, "Are you people mad?"

If that is the extent of OPG's planning skills, you'd better bring your own lunch to the company picnic.

They were cancelled at huge costs and yet they were shutting down Atikokan and Thunder Bay generating stations. When studies had already proved there will be shortage of power in the area.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:40 pm

That you think Ontario doesn't need gas plants because they are a net exporter of power, just shows you know very little about an integrated power grid. Maybe you should run for public office.

What has happened is that the demand for power has crashed in Ontario because so much industry has fled during the "Great Recession". So, putting generating stations in people's back yard is an example of expert grid management ..., where, exactly? Nazi Germany?

Not any more than anyone else that lives near some unused land that get developed into something. The area was zoned for industrial use, and was the location of a manufacturing plant

... in 1950 .... and not for a power plant but for an assembly operation. You don't have any of those in the West and I'm not surprised that you don't recognise the difference.

The argument against the plant doesn't seem very compelling. It sound to be, we don't want it because we don't like it

That s an excellent reason. To force people into anything like that is pure fascism. People have a right to live and to continue to live how they wish. This was real democracy in action, for a change. The incompetent morons who let these deals go as far as they did had ample opportunity to re-think what they were doing before they shelled out so much money. They didn't look or listen. Incompetent and arrogant ... and the story is not over, yet.

I'm sure all the Hipsters that moved in around it would act just the same.

Hipsters didn't move in around this. They moved the power plant into nice, old neighbourhoods ... and yes, without consultation. The original proposal was for neither of these two sites but for a third one in Mississauga, to the North of the one by the cement plant. Moving t to the Ford plant was a last minute, out-of-the-blue private deal between private corporations who didn't give a rat's ass about the people living there ... or people in general, for that matter. This bone-headed, slimy way of going about it is what killed both plants in the end.

Building gas fired plants is smart because most of their costs come from the fuel, and they can very quickly power up to meet demand

I don't doubt that for a moment. Just locate them in rural areas. They don't have to be half way to the North Pole but in old neighbourhoods is a BAD idea. No one else in this country would have accepted them in the same circumstances, either.

I do question, however the basic wisdom of burning gas to generate electricity to do work that could more efficiently have been done by burning the gas directly. I know that you can't run electronic devices with natural gas but it is much more efficient to burn it directly for heating than to say, heat your houses using electric resistance heating (as the typically do in B.C. for example)...especially electricity that has been generated by burning gas. Gas is already a valuable and easily utilized energy source and burning it for generation seems to be less that efficient.

Ontario still runs coal fired plants. You can't shut those off until you have a replacement.

Sorry. You're too late. The last one, Nanticoke has already been shut down months ago and we did it without these privatized gas generators in our neighbourhoods. As I said, demand has been down for a whole decade but the output from Niagara has just been increased by a further 200 megawatts. There is no more, admittedly to be wrung out of that source. Nuclear is king here, now.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:12 pm

Regina Regina:
Both of those stations that were cancelled were in ridiculous locations and neither should ever have made it off of the very first list of potential sites. Neither of them should have ever been more than an E-mailed suggestion. That they dug holes, signed contracts paid a shitpile on engineers, consultants of every type, committed to feckin' mega-millions all the while ignoring the public around them, who said from the very beginning, "Are you people mad?"

If that is the extent of OPG's planning skills, you'd better bring your own lunch to the company picnic.

They were cancelled at huge costs and yet they were shutting down Atikokan and Thunder Bay generating stations. When studies had already proved there will be shortage of power in the area.

Yup ... incompetent bunglers.

The old Ontario Hydro that was split up was the headquarters of the job-for-life, Iron Rice Bowl Entitlement Brigade and their legacy to OPG was: "I'm the expert and I'll do what I think is right" without apparently, ever removing their heads from their asses and having a look around.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:14 pm

Regina Regina:

Yes but by southern ontario standards that's ok...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:18 pm

housewife housewife:
Regina Regina:

I didn't say or think that, by any means. The North and West may be forgotten by Queen's Park but not by me.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:26 pm

housewife housewife:
Regina Regina:

I didn't say or think that, by any means. The North and West may be forgotten by Queen's Park but not by me.

Jabberwalker it was a horrible generalization about southern ontario and Queen's Park... wasn't throwing it at you. I'm not at all surprised that they would shut down the generating stations up there. Saddly they will all be shocked when there is a problem with this despite the studies

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:31 pm

Queen's Park and Southern Ontario do both ignore the North and West. There is a different culture, there (much more like Western Canada) ... different needs, too. It must really piss a taxpayer in Timmins off to see some of their money ending up in a Toronto subway. Ontario is a little empire with 11 million living between the lower lakes and two million scattered over a vast area.

p.s. My Eleven year old just got up to tell me to GO TO BED!! Dad!

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:45 pm

One of the biggest bungles is OPG and the Bruce Nuclear plant. For years it was mismanaged by a bunch of good old boys who had no idea what they were doing, paid themselves and their gang millions and paid no attention to cost overruns. My best friend works for TCP and when they took over my chum was sent in to clean out the garbage in one of main department. He also wasn't allowed to tell anyone he worked for TCP. In a single area he cut over $5 million the first year. Not to mention a manager who was getting over $400,000 per year. He said the first 3 goof balls they sent packing were making $2 million combined and were not replaced. He said the worst part was that they had no idea what they were doing and it was already in the hole for billions. There was a big clean up but the damage was done. He's been in Houston now for over a year managing the Keystone build......which isn't approved yet. :lol:

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:10 pm

Queen's Park and Southern Ontario do both ignore the North and West. There is a different culture, there (much more like Western Canada) ... different needs, too. It must really piss a taxpayer in Timmins off to see some of their money ending up in a Toronto subway. Ontario is a little empire with 11 million living between the lower lakes and two million scattered over a vast area.

It is a different world up there, that is for sure. Working on heading back someday.

p.s. my 20 year old just texted he is out and his house key is in his room by the university. Fat lot of good it does him there.

Regina they seem to think that the gravey train will just keep going. What always bugs me is the shock when it comes to light... really where do they think the cost over runs go! There really hasn't been anything to show that they have learned from past mistakes or even care to.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:39 am

Regina Regina:
One of the biggest bungles is OPG and the Bruce Nuclear plant. For years it was mismanaged by a bunch of good old boys who had no idea what they were doing, paid themselves and their gang millions and paid no attention to cost overruns. My best friend works for TCP and when they took over my chum was sent in to clean out the garbage in one of main department. He also wasn't allowed to tell anyone he worked for TCP. In a single area he cut over $5 million the first year. Not to mention a manager who was getting over $400,000 per year. He said the first 3 goof balls they sent packing were making $2 million combined and were not replaced. He said the worst part was that they had no idea what they were doing and it was already in the hole for billions. There was a big clean up but the damage was done. He's been in Houston now for over a year managing the Keystone build......which isn't approved yet. :lol:

I've known all sorts of people who have worked at Hydro (from the guy who swept the floor at Bruce in Kincardine to their chief negotiator) including a Marine Engineer cousin who worked at Nanticoke, for a time. One of my neighbours down the way with whom I sail, sometimes was Ontario Hydro's chief negotiator. He was way too good at his job and everything that Hydro did seemed to be covered in slush and excess expenditure. My cousin left in disgust, went back to the Lakers. I remember him saying that Hydro had this peculiar ability to take in smart people and make them all stupid. Giant-sized crown corporations are a bad idea and if you give them unlimited power and open-ended budgets, you get phenomena like gas power plants being built 300 meters from 50 year old, three million dollar residences.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:38 am

Yeah, the current crop of dingleberries running Queens Park are like a bad itch I can't scratch. Perpetually screwing up.

The only things they've done for us up here lately is raise our taxes, degrade our health services, and botch our winter highway maintenance.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:52 am

Well Queen's Park is the place where all the Queens's park.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:05 am

Truer words ....

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:42 pm

The people who live here ... and thousand do, were not consulted at all. It was a pronouncement from on high and it was totally corrupt process from beginning to end. Build it on your back yard ... and how dare you call all those people "NYMBYs when you know absolutely nothing about the site or it's surroundings. You're as arrogant as the swaggering pricks at OPG who dropped this in the middle of Oakville in the first place.

Cut the crap. It's nimbyism at it's finest.

All these homes just steps from industrial areas, while high valued homes were built and occupied with full knowledge that there was heavy industrial around them pumping shit into the air. Oakville was built on heavy industry! Refineries and heavy manyfacturing.

Power plants have to go somewhere. I live within 15 minutes of the Pickering Nuclear plant. Residents of the Beaches in Toronto are just steps from a sewage treatment facility that burns shit and smells up the entire area.

Neither area was concerned about the overall impact on the Province and the rest of the people in Ontario. The only option was "put it somewhere else".

These plants are clean, quiet and don't pollute the air much like the huge sections of heavy industry in both Oakville and Mississauga.