Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:26 am

Winnipegger Winnipegger:
Would those members who are experts with platoon tactics care to give some advice?

This is way above platoon tactics.

Basic way warfare works is this:

If you are attacking and win a battle, you advance.
If you are attacking and lose a battle, you don't move.
If you are defending and win a battle, you don't move.
If you are defending and lose a battle, you retreat.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:23 am

Media reports from Afghanistan said often Canadian troops would capture land, hand it over to local Afghan troops to hold, then Taliban would recapture. Canadian troops had to take the ground again, and once again hand control over to Afghan troops. This tells me Canadian forces are a lot better than Afghan. Today Ukrainian forces are fighting to take land from rebels. That isn't just attacking and advancing, but holding. I realize Ukraine is not Afghanistan, but still, any advice that Canadian soldiers can give?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:41 am

I doubt you will find people on here who are knowledgeable enough about the specific situation to be of any help. That's ignoring the fact that training a foreign army is a decision to be made by those individuals at a much higher level within the government and military, not by those posting on an internet forum.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:55 am

Winnipegger Winnipegger:
Media reports from Afghanistan said often Canadian troops would capture land, hand it over to local Afghan troops to hold, then Taliban would recapture. Canadian troops had to take the ground again, and once again hand control over to Afghan troops. This tells me Canadian forces are a lot better than Afghan. Today Ukrainian forces are fighting to take land from rebels. That isn't just attacking and advancing, but holding. I realize Ukraine is not Afghanistan, but still, any advice that Canadian soldiers can give?

My advice would be for the Ukrainian forces to combine their symmetrical attcks with assymetrical attacks.

The Russians aren't the only ones who can take their flags and unit patches off of their uniforms. :wink:

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:49 pm

CNN: Russian troop increase at Ukraine border raises concerns
$1:
According to a NATO official, Russia now has about 20,000 troops stationed "in an area along the entire border with eastern Ukraine." The buildup nearly doubled the troop deployment in the last week by adding 8,000 more forces to 12,000 already there, the official said.
On Tuesday, Ukraine's National Defense and Security Council said the Russian deployment now numbered as high as 45,000, and that there had been 26 clashes in the past 24 hours, including six attacks from Russian territory.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:56 pm

Winnipegger Winnipegger:
Media reports from Afghanistan said often Canadian troops would capture land, hand it over to local Afghan troops to hold, then Taliban would recapture. Canadian troops had to take the ground again, and once again hand control over to Afghan troops. This tells me Canadian forces are a lot better than Afghan.

This tells me that successive generations of pince-nez, tight ass bean counters paired back the Canadian army to the point that, although we could field a force that could take territory, it was no longer large enough to hold territory.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:36 am

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:19 am

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
This tells me that successive generations of pince-nez, tight ass bean counters paired back the Canadian army to the point that, although we could field a force that could take territory, it was no longer large enough to hold territory.

I considered not responding, but can't leave it like that. The objective in Afghanistan was to hand over control to locals. So handing off to Afghan military was not due to lack of resources, but because it was their country.

Last edited by Winnipegger on Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:59 pm

Winnipegger Winnipegger:
Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:

I considered not responding, but can't leave it like that. The objective in Afghanistan was to had over control to locals. So handing off to Afghan military was not due to lack of resources, but because it was their country.

That may well be so but it still doesn't excuse what successive generations of pince-nez, tight ass bean counters did to the Canadian army.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:28 pm

I do not wear "pince-nez" eye glasses. That's French for "pinch nose"; that style does not have any arms for the ears. I wear reading glasses from the Dollar Store, only $2, or $1.50 from Jysk. "Pince-nez" are way too expensive.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:34 pm

$1.50 from Jysk.

You mean the ones that come in their own little storage cylinder?

I've never heard of those ones!

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:41 pm

So I guess as a response to our sanctions, Russia has stopped importing our pork. Does this mean cheaper bacon?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:29 am

Cool, a Cold War redux, what fun :|

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:46 am

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:20 am

CBC: Ukraine to get military equipment from Canada to help protect border
$1:
Canada will deploy a series of flights carrying what has been described as "non-lethal equipment," a senior government source told CBC News. That usually refers to defensive or protective equipment, as opposed to weapons used for attacking.
Last February, Canada pledged $200,000 in medical aid to Ukraine after months of protests and violent suppression in the country. Canada later pledged $220 million in financial support, conditional on the establishment of a broader package by the International Monetary Fund.

Vadym Prystaiko, Ukraine's ambassador to Canada, has complained the aid is taking too long to arrive. Canadian officials say they have to ensure the proper checks and balances are in place so the money is spent properly.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2612 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 156  157  158  159  160  161  162 ... 175  Next