bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:14 pm

$1:
but ours were always of a far higher quality and our troops much better trained to use them.

The Germans made this mistake too

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:41 pm

@andyt: Don't try to make him feel guilty. Different people, different skills. One reason I know about the medieval recreation society is that I was a member for many years. I have trained how to use sword and shield. And I did participate in the big field battle at Pensic. One conclusion: I should never be a soldier. I'm useless. I also participated in paintball a couple years. Was useless the first time, got better; however, pretty bad at that too. I found the only thing I was good at was a sniper. Once, while a couple dozen of my guys formed a line against an equal number of the other guys, pinned down, I couldn't do anything. So I snuck behind the lines, behind the enemy flag station. Unfortunately my paint pistol barrel got wet due to broken paint balls. Aim so bad I couldn't hit a damn thing. I took out a couple defenders, but they got me. Sniper is the only thing I'm close to useful at, but even there I'm useless. Some friends like to play computer games, first person shooters. I can play strategy games, but not first person shooters. After a few minutes, I changed my character name to "Practice Target".

However, I have bid on a few NASA contracts. For real. Got on their short list twice. Although they advertised the opportunity as available to foreign for-profit organizations, the fine print buried in the full proposal package said anyone outside the US doesn't get paid. I can't do it if I don't get paid. Lockheed-Martin has stolen my ideas more than once. And then, when I was dating an aerospace engineer, she got a job with Lockheed-Martin. She said management asked her to call me for a referral. They were working on a satellite that needed commercial-off-the-shelf space hardened electronics. I knew a supplier off the top of my head. Although Lockheed-Martin was my competitor, she was my girlfriend so I told her. Never did get any credit for that.

Another time I attended a NASA conference, and proposed a project to replace the battery on the EMU; the white spacesuit NASA uses for space work on the Shuttle and Space Station. I found a large lithium ion battery. I pointed out a module with 6 cells would have the same weight and size, as well as same voltage and current as the current battery. Same number of amp-hours as well, so same duration on a charge. But the silver-nickel battery they used now would only last 11 space walks then have to be replaced. A lithium ion battery would last much longer. The battery from the French supplier I found was rated for 1,500 charge/discharge cycles so 1,500 space walks. But it wouldn't handle cold well. The German one was rated for 500 cycles, but tested under much more realistic temperature conditions. One battery module would last a spacesuit longer than the life of the Space Station. Or for a Mars mission, one full duration EVA every day on Mars. And I pointed out exactly how to build a module for a spacesuit. It would cost a lot less; if a traditional aerospace contractor did it they would want to modify the individual battery cells to be "space rated". That would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. Since a representative from Lockheed-Martin was in the audience, I didn't mention the battery suppliers by name, but did provide NASA my PowerPoint with the names in the file. I didn't get the contract, Lockheed-Martin did. In fact, Lockheed-Martin bought the American subsidiary of the German battery manufacturer. Now how does a guy working in his garage compete with a multi-billion dollar company who can buy his supplier?

I haven't succeeded in landing aerospace contracts, but have worked for many years as a programmer. Was senior programmer for a department of the City of Winnipeg for a year, in charge of keeping the mainframe computer systems running until the Province absorbed that department. Worked for Miami-Dade County one year, was solely responsible for the computer system for one tax.

The point is I have skills. I'm not a soldier, but I can do other things. PostFactum is our only source of first hand information about Ukraine. We don't want to lose him.

Last edited by Winnipegger on Mon May 05, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:21 pm

I'm tired of his trying to twist what I've been saying. There must be a reason for it. I think I've hit on why. He was asked the same question about Ukrainian inaction by Gunnair and wouldn't answer.

My information about Ukraine comes from correspondents who are actually on the ground where the shit is going down. Probably more informative. You have the same sources available to you. You might want to avail yourself of them.

Don't know what this has to do about skills. I haven't asked him to personally do anything. I just suggested that Ukraine might want to counter the insurgents at a time when they weren't, and he went off on me. Now that they are doing exactly what I suggested, I don't know why he keeps going on and on about me wanting him to massacre people. Well, as I said, maybe I do know.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:59 pm

$1:
I'm tired of his trying to twist what I've been saying.

I guess andy is upset that someone is using his own tactics against him. What a disingenuous hypocrite.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:15 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
$1:

I guess andy is upset that someone is using his own tactics against him. What a disingenuous hypocrite.

Oh well, at least you agree that he's twisting what I'm saying. That's a start. Next time I twist something you say, be sure to correct me.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:33 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
$1:

This is only one possibe way to fight with troll, you see, he is mad.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:31 am

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
2Cdo 2Cdo:
Winnipegger Winnipegger:

And I've long heard the story about training. It's a common story amoung Canadian soldiers. But have you faced a unit of Russian soldiers? I suspect you'll find they aren't as poorly trained as you think.

I have and they are poorly trained. Their NCO's are barely the equivalent of our privates.
quote]

This old Canadian military philosophy whereby Privates are trained-up to take over from Corporals, Corporals trained to take over from Sargents, Sargents from officers goes straight back to Sir Arthur Currie, himslf. It was a peculaiarly Canadian innovation (the British DID NOT like to have their class barriers crossed like that) and it has been a guiding philosohy ever since. I suspect that's how we get so much from our usually little forces .. this kind of cross-trained flexibility.

We do the same in the US (not sure where it comes from)though as a private we learned up to what a SGT. did. The Russians we encouraged not to think just follow the orders of the officers. Few enlisted/conscripted were to lead they were/are trained to fight with their equipment to a high degree but in regards to battle field situational thinking and or leadership they depend on their officers not NCO's.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:53 am

I have and they are poorly trained. Their NCO's are barely the equivalent of our privates.
quote]

This old Canadian military philosophy whereby Privates are trained-up to take over from Corporals, Corporals trained to take over from Sargents, Sargents from officers goes straight back to Sir Arthur Currie, himslf. It was a peculaiarly Canadian innovation (the British DID NOT like to have their class barriers crossed like that) and it has been a guiding philosohy ever since. I suspect that's how we get so much from our usually little forces .. this kind of cross-trained flexibility.[/quote]

We do the same in the US (not sure where it comes from)though as a private we learned up to what a SGT. did. The Russians we encouraged not to think just follow the orders of the officers. Few enlisted/conscripted were to lead they were/are trained to fight with their equipment to a high degree but in regards to battle field situational thinking and or leadership they depend on their officers not NCO's.[/quote]
[/i]

This was developed 1915-1916 when the U.S. was neutral. The weight of American numbers helped to turn the tide in WWI but they were still using 1914 "human wave" tactics right up to the armistace (in spite of the fact that the allies had abandoned this approach after Verdun and the Somme). Whatever innovations the U.S. Army brought to the field, they were later on in their history.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:00 am

So today:

1. In Lugansk oblast, separatists are robbing food, clothes, petrol, jewelry shops and stealing vehicles.
2. Russian minister Lavrov says thet there is no sense to speak about Ukraine problem with other countries and Russia, because Russia has no supporters in this issue. (Sounds like crazy man in hospital claims that doctor can't see giant spider in his ass hole). And that elections in Ukraine will be better to make at the end of year.
3. In Donezk separatists blocked military base and military cadet campus.
4. In Slovyansk 8 people are dead and 16 got wounded. (From what side, no info)
5. Ex member of parliament (kicked for supporting Russia), Cariov, says that he and people who support him are going to create new part of Russia called "Novorosia", referendum will be made at 11-th of May. First Donezk and Lugansk oblast and Later: Odeska, Mykolaivska, Harkivska, Dnipropetrovska and Hersonska oblast. (Fucking idiot with sick imagination)
6. All heads of Odesa police are kicked out, new cops arrived from different regions of Ukraine.
7. Ukraine changed symbol of World War II, Georgievska stripe is changed for memorial day poppy. (Just like you have in Canada).
8. Separatists are mining sewage collector under city of Kramatorsk with explosion stuff.
9. People of East Ukraine started receiving invitations from separatists to their mail boxes to referendum about annexation to Russia.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:10 am

PostFactum PostFactum:
So today:

2. Russian minister Lavrov says thet there is no sense to speak about Ukraine problem with other countries and Russia, because Russia has no supporters in this issue. (Sounds like crazy man in hospital claims that doctor can't see giant spider in his ass hole). And that elections in Ukraine will be better to make at the end of year.

As predicted. Referendum on Crimea had to be within 2 weeks, but interim government can remain until year end. :roll:

PostFactum PostFactum:
8. Separatists are mining sewage collector under city of Kramatorsk with explosion stuff.

[huh]

No Comprende Señor.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:21 am

He says that soldiers are placing mines in the sewers under the city of Kramatorsk. This is a prudent move to prevent the enemy from using the sewers for covert movement.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:23 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
PostFactum PostFactum:
So today:

As predicted. Referendum on Crimea had to be within 2 weeks, but interim government can remain until year end. :roll:

PostFactum PostFactum:

[huh]

No Comprende Señor.

There are tunnels which transfer shit, they are under the city. Russians put explosions in this tunnels.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:30 am

NATO was all about breaking up Yugoslavia. They should be consistent and support the breakup of Ukraine as well.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:31 am

That's why NATO was formed, was it? ... to break up Lesser-Lower Slobbovia?

Last edited by Jabberwalker on Tue May 06, 2014 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:32 am

andyt andyt:
NATO was all about breaking up Yugoslavia. They should be consistent and support the breakup of Ukraine as well.

Some days we have to wonder just how fucking stupid you really are.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2612 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 91  92  93  94  95  96  97 ... 175  Next