Title: Retired generals take aim at Ottawa's handling of defence cuts
Category: Military
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2013-12-19 07:47:06
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:51 am

Watch the video here. Really good comments by Gen. Hillier. 61% cuts to training and maintenance is absurd!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:12 am

T�he pricks in Ottawa, sure as shit, will find the funds to vote themselves a raise and increase in benefits

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:33 am

Yep, 61% cuts to the budget but no cuts to the politicians demands from the military. SSDD.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:39 am

Still spending 3 billion a year on consultants and contractors. That's what should be getting the axe first before anything else.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:53 am

saturn_656 saturn_656:
Still spending 3 billion a year on consultants and contractors. That's what should be getting the axe first before anything else.

2 of the guys I work with have been stationed on a CFB for nearly 8 years. They've done 2 tours in Afghanistan. They aren't military, but computer geeks.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:49 pm

saturn_656 saturn_656:

I agree, but the problem is that some of those consultants are nothing more than cooks or janitors, while others are staff from defence contractors we pay to maintain our shiny new planes and equipment.

$1:
Private consultants and contractors provide a myriad of services, from emptying garbage pails and mopping floors, all the way to fine-tuning and repairing some of the military's state-of-the-art aircraft.

Giant defence contractors also have lucrative professional services contracts, according to public accounts records.

The largest single amount paid out in 2011-12 was to U.S.-based Lockheed Martin, which took in $175.3 million for a single engineering contact.

The company best known in the political world as the builder of the F-35 stealth fighter had six other service and consulting deals with the Canadian government that year.

In total, the Defence Department paid $313.04 million to Lockheed Martin.

http://www.obj.ca/Local/Defence-and-sec ... up-$500M/1

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:53 pm

I heard General Leslie last summer going on about how top-heavy DND was with contractors, consultants, hangers-on that there was little left for the "army" part of the army. The government may be right about the necessity of shovelling out a lot of the slush. Any big-buck bureaucracy is prone to become an aquarium full of expensive, exotic fish that eventually push out the guppies.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:06 pm

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
I heard General Leslie last summer going on about how top-heavy DND was with contractors, consultants, hangers-on that there was little left for the "army" part of the army. The government may be right about the necessity of shovelling out a lot of the slush. Any big-buck bureaucracy is prone to become an aquarium full of expensive, exotic fish that eventually push out the guppies.

Most militaries consist primarily of REMFs - that's because it takes one hell of a lot of support for the tip of the spear.

Over the years I've observed that most of Canada's problem is usually too much tip and not enough spear.

Case in point was your guys needing to hitch rides when they deployed to the Sandbox. In that case you had plenty of tip and nothing behind them.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:55 am

Consultants and civilians workers are being cut from many areas, 6 of the 9 civilian workers I work with are getting the ax in March.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:01 am

Guy_Fawkes Guy_Fawkes:
Consultants and civilians workers are being cut from many areas, 6 of the 9 civilian workers I work with are getting the ax in March.

Still not enough. There are thousand of civilians working for DND in Ottawa. Some are low paid drones, others are part of the well paid brain trust that bring us slush breakers and single engine fighter jets over the arctic.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:50 am

As long as they back fill with green pers, I dont much care. However it seems like we are going to be expected to do more with less.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:51 am

Sigh. To be honest, it feels like we'll need a world war to get the military the proper funding and equipment it deserves. As much as we on this site are passionate about the military, the average Canadian couldn't care less, (and strangely, I find Quebec somewhat hostile towards it, but I put significant blame on that on the FLQ Crisis of 1970), and governments of any political stroke just sees it as a money sink, which gains them too few votes in elections compared to anything else.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:55 am

commanderkai commanderkai:
Sigh. To be honest, it feels like we'll need a world war to get the military the proper funding and equipment it deserves. As much as we on this site are passionate about the military, the average Canadian couldn't care less, (and strangely, I find Quebec somewhat hostile towards it, but I put significant blame on that on the FLQ Crisis of 1970), and governments of any political stroke just sees it as a money sink, which gains them too few votes in elections compared to anything else.

I agree, your average Canadian really doesnt care about the military. So long as they get a warm and fuzzy when it gets sent to somewhere to help they are happy.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:03 pm

Guy_Fawkes Guy_Fawkes:
I agree, your average Canadian really doesnt care about the military. So long as they get a warm and fuzzy when it gets sent to somewhere to help they are happy.

"Who Killed the Canadian Military?" by J.L. Granatstein illustrates the downfall of the Canadian military rather well, if you're intrigued. He basically describes every Prime Minister after Prime Minister Louis St. Laurent as undercutting the military in one way or another.

I'll admit, I was more optimistic about Prime Minister Harper, but he's fallen in with Mulroney. Making a few big purchases...and then nothing.