canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:16 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Nope. Because of what she did while in office. Short term, but very bad PM.

I was being flippant. I detested that woman.

Mary Collins is the other. I'll never forgive her ordering our unit to not deplane after a tour so she could make a little speech, and to which she was delayed on top of it all.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:21 pm

raydan raydan:
[He's the only one I hate with a passion.

I used to think like that.................then along came Mulroney and I had to rethink my position on the argument.

I came to the conclusion that Trudeau was still number one but, Mulroney moved up from #2 to #1A.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:47 pm

I never liked Borden that much. Over rated. Justin's a PM already?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:54 pm

'Best Of' lists are exercises in subjective ridiculousness anyway. If a person with no knowledge of history and zero common sense went and talked to the TeaBircher/anarcho-capitalist types in the US for long enough they'd probably convince them that Warren G. Harding was the greatest President the US ever had.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:14 am

Curtman Curtman:

I feel sorry for you if your partisan blinders won't allow you to see this poll is not a statistical anomaly.

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

Laughed so hard I almost shot coffee out my nose!

-J.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:13 am

I"m williing to bet that at any given time the current PM will be ranked among the worst ever in a poll like this. People just generally don't like politicians but do tend to romanticize the one's who were in power when they were young.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:58 am

Curtman Curtman:
CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
I'm not surprised you've taken this poll at face value. In fact, I almost feel bad for you. Almost. But not quite.

-J.

$1:
The trend has been steady in the last six years that Angus Reid has conducted this poll. Mr. Trudeau has been the respondents’ favourite every year, while Mr. Harper has steadily overtaken Brian Mulroney as “worst.”

I feel sorry for you if your partisan blinders won't allow you to see this poll is not a statistical anomaly.

The poll has taken 1,500 online Canadians.............hardly statistical. In fact it's a joke they even put it out there. Those who trot this around like a show dog should be embarrassed.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:42 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
CanadianJeff CanadianJeff:
Oh come on Harper isn't an amazing PM but he's not a horrible one by any stretch of the imagination.

He isn't horrible, but only because we've had some real stinkers.

With his 'omnibus' bills, he's being very anti-democratic. He has some sort of problem hearing bad news, so he's cut funding to those who give him the bad news. He's been very controlling of the 'message' from the day he became PM, and that very day started breaking campaign promises. Those are the cement shoes he's put on himself.

Harper is far more authoritarian then most any other PM we have had and certainly the most authoritarian in my lifetime but that doesn't make him bad.

If you firmly beleive in small government and want to limit the amount of spending on social programs it actually makes a lot of sense to cut stat reporting programs.

When I look at Harper I don't see a bright future for Canada if he stays PM a long time but I see someone very capable and able of maintaining the status quo and when the rest of the world is in a huge financial crisis that's a very very good thing to have.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:57 pm

Harper has what a lot of politicians lack. Leadership.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:38 am

I would figure most politicians who end up leaders could be said to have leadership... As well as really any prime minister. No?

I know you mean that on some sort of nonsense philosophical sense, like he says things with a strong tone in his voice or whatever.

I definitely don't pick winners on such tones; what a vague concept anyhow. And undoubtedly biased. What qualifies one to have 'leadership'? Their ability to have positions you agree with and consider 'strong-willed' and supportable?

I don't know. It's empty as a statement to me. Asked to define it as anything more as "one who is literally leading a group or organisation" would be impossible for me. You could also say things like he's "well-spoken", "thinks a lot", "enjoys certain brands of ice cream"....

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:47 am

Unsound Unsound:
People just generally don't like politicians but do tend to romanticize the one's who were in power when they were young.

Which, if true would explain why the late 60's and 70's were Trudeau's time. A time when alot of our nations youth thought that by electing this charismatic narcissist they could create a uniquely Canadian version of Camelot, complete with the "ask not what" philosophy and a hipper more trend setting form of government that incorporated the ideals and wants of our youth.

In a way it's to bad that it all turned out to be an illusion and there was no Camelot, just strife, confrontation and dissilusionment by large sections of the Canadian population towards this self aggrandizing demigod, all things we are still feeling the ramifications of today.

We didn't get Jackie Kennedy, we got Margret Trudeau, we didn't get the Peace Corp we got Katmavik, we didn't get the Cuban Missle Crisis we got the FLQ crisis marshall law included, we didn't get an anti communist we got a leader who loved communists, we didn't get free enterprise we got an interventionist ecomony.

In short alot of that generation would say the only thing they really got from their love affair and desire for a Canadian Camelot was screwed :oops: and yet when his name is brought up people seem to want to wax nostalgic about his legacy which proves memories can be very selective?

Tune in next week when we eviscerate Brian Mulroney, number 1A in Canada's most divisive and despised Prime Ministers. [B-o]

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:21 am

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
Unsound Unsound:
People just generally don't like politicians but do tend to romanticize the one's who were in power when they were young.

Which, if true would explain why the late 60's and 70's were Trudeau's time. A time when alot of our nations youth thought that by electing this charismatic narcissist they could create a uniquely Canadian version of Camelot, complete with the "ask not what" philosophy and a hipper more trend setting form of government that incorporated the ideals and wants of our youth.

In a way it's to bad that it all turned out to be an illusion and there was no Camelot, just strife, confrontation and dissilusionment by large sections of the Canadian population towards this self aggrandizing demigod, all things we are still feeling the ramifications of today.

We didn't get Jackie Kennedy, we got Margret Trudeau, we didn't get the Peace Corp we got Katmavik, we didn't get the Cuban Missle Crisis we got the FLQ crisis marshall law included, we didn't get an anti communist we got a leader who loved communists, we didn't get free enterprise we got an interventionist ecomony.

In short alot of that generation would say the only thing they really got from their love affair and desire for a Canadian Camelot was screwed :oops: and yet when his name is brought up people seem to want to wax nostalgic about his legacy which proves memories can be very selective?

Tune in next week when we eviscerate Brian Mulroney, number 1A in Canada's most divisive and despised Prime Ministers. [B-o]

+5

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:34 am

Unsound Unsound:

+10

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:02 am

Unsound Unsound:

[B-o]
You'd be a nice +15 for this post!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:13 am

+20

At least us in the west got the finger.