Title: HMCS Preserver commander stripped of command
Category: Military
Posted By: Hyack
Date: 2012-03-21 14:51:42
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:35 am

It seems across North America, there have been a large number of "incompetence" issues among the senior Naval staff over the past decade or so. I've lost count of the number of articles I've read about Canadian and American Captains being relieved of command or seriously reprimanded for major incidents. I wonder if it has something to do with Navy's relevance (or possible lack thereof) in modern warfare, which tends to be air and land-based and mostly counter-insurgency.

Last edited by BeaverFever on Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:50 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
It eems across North America, there have been a large number of "incompetence" issues among the senior Naval staff over the past decade or so. I've lost count of the number of articles I've read about Canadian and American Captains being relieved of command or seriously reprimanded for major incidents. I wonder if it has something to do with Navy's relevance (or possible lack thereof) in modern warfare, which tends to be air and land-based and mostly counter-insurgency.

No. It has far more to do with greater transparency brought on by mass media and social media as well as far greater accountability than in the past.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:06 am

It doesn't seem that we see as much of this from the Air Force and Army, despite the greater role they play in campaigns and operations.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:34 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
It doesn't seem that we see as much of this from the Air Force and Army, despite the greater role they play in campaigns and operations.

A ship captain is in charge of a 100+ million dollar ship, with hundreds if not thousands of personelle aboard. A fuck up on his part could, at once, write that ship off and end all those lives, not to meantion the risks and costs associated with a rescue/salvage operation. You can see why competance is such a big issue compared to the air force or army, where generally a fuck up on a colonels part will likely result in a lower loss of life, money, and won't require as many resources to fix.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:27 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:

Take that up with the CA and RCAF.

The RCN is doing it right.