PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:24 am

Title: Trudeau's legalization stand set to revive debate on cannabis
Category: Political
Posted By: Curtman
Date: 2013-07-27 05:25:46
Canadian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:24 am

$1:
Justin Trudeau�s enthusiastic embrace of the legalization of marijuana has fired up the debate over Canadian drug laws and exposed stark differences among major political parties on the way to treat the country�s numerous pot smokers.
The stand places the Liberal Party on a collision course on the road to the 2015 elections with the Conservative government, which is solidly in favour of the status quo, and the NDP, which would only go as far as decriminalizing the possession of small quantities of marijuana.

Mr. Trudeau is the first leader of a major Canadian political party to advocate for legal pot � and he takes that position as his party and the NDP fight to capture the progressive side of the political spectrum in the next two years.

At the end of a tour of British Columbia, where illegal pot crops abound and the pro-marijuana culture has flourished, Mr. Trudeau said he does not advocate drug use. Still, he added that regulating and taxing marijuana would keep it out of the hands of young people and allow for the development of the medical marijuana industry.

R=UP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:38 am

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2013/07/26/mb-legalize-pot.htmlTrudeau stirs pot with legalized marijuana stance
$1:
Trudeau's proposal is music to the ears of retired Winnipeg police detective Bill Vandergraff, who used to investigate gangs, drugs and street crime.

"We have to start thinking about how we're using our police resources and focus on proper crime, and not adult consensual behaviour," Vandergraff told CBC News.

R=UP

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:21 pm

oh, I see Justin is flip flopping again.

Quebec is better then the other provinces ? Must be in Quebec.

Legalize dope ? Must be in BC.

and on and on and on and on

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:57 pm

martin14 martin14:

Care to explain how what you've written here in any way represents a flip flop? What do Quebec issues have to do with pot?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:21 pm

andyt andyt:
martin14 martin14:

Care to explain how what you've written here in any way represents a flip flop? What do Quebec issues have to do with pot?

Justin has changed his stance on pot 3 times now.

The insinuation from martin is that JT changes his tune based on his audience and what appeals best to them.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:25 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
andyt andyt:
martin14 martin14:

Justin has changed his stance on pot 3 times now.

The insinuation from martin is that JT changes his tune based on his audience and what appeals best to them.

Sounds a lot like every politician.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:26 pm

That would only be true if he changes back to a more restrictive stance. Otherwise he's just moving toward a more "liberal" position. I would be surprised if he hasn't favored legalization all along personally, just didn't want to take the political risk of avowing it openly before. The first politician to do such a thing, I know.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:36 pm

jeff744 jeff744:

Well at least you're willing to admit he's just a power hungry boy willing
to do or say anything to get into office.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:39 pm

martin14 martin14:
jeff744 jeff744:

The difference comes once he's in power, as long as he doesn't completely flip on almost every single promise I'd say he's a hell of a lot better than what we've had for the last 7 years.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:42 pm

jeff744 jeff744:
martin14 martin14:
jeff744 jeff744:

The difference comes once he's in power, as long as he doesn't completely flip on almost every single promise I'd say he's a hell of a lot better than what we've had for the last 7 years.

I'm sure you said the same thing about Obama. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:44 pm

jeff744 jeff744:
martin14 martin14:
jeff744 jeff744:

You don't understand. Harper is completely different, takes a strong stance no matter how popular it is. He's not power hungry at all, just sacrificing his life for the good of the country. He'd much rather go back to working quietly in the mail room of Imperial Oil, his first love, but the country needs him.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:49 pm

andyt andyt:
That would only be true if he changes back to a more restrictive stance. Otherwise he's just moving toward a more "liberal" position. I would be surprised if he hasn't favored legalization all along personally, just didn't want to take the political risk of avowing it openly before. The first politician to do such a thing, I know.

Barf.

A change in position is a change in position. Period. When Liberals change their stance, it's often referred to as "evolving" or "moving towards a more Liberal position". When Conservatives do it, it's nothing short of flip-flopping.

He's pandering to his audience. Typical of most politicians. Being so social-media savy, Justin should know that every word he speaks is a matter of public record.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:52 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
andyt andyt:

Barf.

A change in position is a change in position. Period. When Liberals change their stance, it's often referred to as "evolving" or "moving towards a more Liberal position". When Conservatives do it, it's nothing short of flip-flopping.

He's pandering to his audience. Typical of most politicians. Being so social-media savy, Justin should know that every word he speaks is a matter of public record.

Going from decriminalization to legalization is an evolution, going from wanting transparent government to the least transparent government in Canadian history is flip flopping.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:01 pm

$1:
Prime minister’s flip-flop on public pension system called ‘shameful’

Harper
Nathan Denette/Guelph Mercury
Conservative leader Stephen Harper makes a stop in Guelph on July 22, 2005. While in town, he promised a Conservative government would build on Canada's Old Age Security system.
GUELPH — Prime Minister Stephen Harper courted controversy when he floated the idea of significant changes to Canada’s public pension system two weeks ago, but seven years ago in Guelph he was unequivocal about the Conservatives’ commitment not to change the time-honoured system.

$1:
Harper flip-flops on running a deficit

Technically speaking, he either fibbed or flip-flopped. But the best-case explanation for the most startling about-face of Prime Minister Stephen Harper's career is that he simply failed to see bad times coming, even with hundreds of fiscal gurus on the payroll and Canada's best economists on call.

BY THE CALGARY HERALD NOVEMBER 25, 2008

Those are flip flops. Trudeau's pot stance isn't, but no doubt he's made them too. Doubt if there's a pol who hasn't.

More flip flops from Harper are no cutting and running in Astan and no negotiating with Taliban. Now he's done the first and is for the latter.