Title: Time travel possible: Hawking
Category: Science
Posted By: Hyack
Date: 2010-05-03 12:49:45

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:25 pm

$1:
Hawking explains people can only travel forward in time, not backward.

There goes my grand idea of getting my lotto numbers for next week. :mrgreen:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:33 pm

We are not able to disprove time travel into the past. See, in our perception of the timeline, our history is unchanged. It would not appear strange to us that Germany lost WW2 because that is what happened.

But what if in the original timeline Mme. Curie had not received her delivery of pitchblende or what if the Brits hadn't broken Enigma and those things occured because of some temporal interference? We would not know.

Therefore, time travel into the past remains unproven but someone like Hawking should know better than to declare it impossible.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:50 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
We are not able to disprove time travel into the past. See, in our perception of the timeline, our history is unchanged. It would not appear strange to us that Germany lost WW2 because that is what happened.

But what if in the original timeline Mme. Curie had not received her delivery of pitchblende or what if the Brits hadn't broken Enigma and those things occured because of some temporal interference? We would not know.

Therefore, time travel into the past remains unproven but someone like Hawking should know better than to declare it impossible.

My understanding would be that if you go back, it would be impossible to get into YOUR timeline. You would go back into another space-time continuum that is not yours since there is an infinity of those continuums. A kind of wormhole bending the spacetime enough to merge into another one.

What Hawking says about future traveling is known. It's the Twin paradox. You use special relativity to bend your spacetime continuum. So you are "time traveling".

You could use the general relativity too to SLOW time while parking near a very strong gravity force. The "normal" time would go much faster and when you get back into a "normal" gravity field, your universe would have maybe aged 1 000 years while you only aged 1 year.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:54 pm

Proculation Proculation:
My understanding would be that if you go back, it would be impossible to get into YOUR timeline. You would go back into another space-time continuum that is not yours since there is an infinity of those continuums. A kind of wormhole bending the spacetime enough to merge into another one.

What Hawking says about future traveling is known. It's the Twin paradox. You use special relativity to bend your spacetime continuum. So you are "time traveling".

You could use the general relativity too to SLOW time while parking near a very strong gravity force. The "normal" time would go much faster and when you get back into a "normal" gravity field, your universe would have maybe aged 1 000 years while you only aged 1 year.

This is all in the assumption that there is just one timeline. But different theorists have offered that nature would not allow a paradox so it is potentailly possible that you could travel into the past of a parallel timeline and alter that timeline while our own timeline would remain unchanged.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:06 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Proculation Proculation:

This is all in the assumption that there is just one timeline. But different theorists have offered that nature would not allow a paradox so it is potentailly possible that you could travel into the past of a parallel timeline and alter that timeline while our own timeline would remain unchanged.

Exactly. That's why IF you can go back, you could not arrive in your own timeline. Like Hawking says, if you kill your grand parents, that only means you eliminate your future double in that spacetime, not you since it's impossible.

For the Twin paradox, it's no longer that paradoxical. It's quite easily explained by relativity. But I guess for people who does not understand relativity, it's still paradoxical.
For the Twin para

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:12 pm

Proculation Proculation:
Exactly. That's why IF you can go back, you could not arrive in your own timeline. Like Hawking says, if you kill your grand parents, that only means you eliminate your future double in that spacetime, not you since it's impossible.

The other notion is that when you travel into the past you're originating in a meta-timeline and if you then travel into the past and kill your grandparents there is no paradox because they did exist in the meta-timeline you came from.

So while you could alter your past, you could not then return to the same present.

Proculation Proculation:
For the Twin paradox, it's no longer that paradoxical. It's quite easily explained by relativity. But I guess for people who does not understand relativity, it's still paradoxical.

I understand relativity and, to me, there is no paradox.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:53 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Proculation Proculation:

The other notion is that when you travel into the past you're originating in a meta-timeline and if you then travel into the past and kill your grandparents there is no paradox because they did exist in the meta-timeline you came from.

So while you could alter your past, you could not then return to the same present.

Proculation Proculation:

I understand relativity and, to me, there is no paradox.

It brings to me an anecdote:

In my last ADVANCED (yes, you've read well) english class in CEGEP (it's 2 years between high school and university in Quebec), we had to take a free subject, write something like 10 pages on the subject and do an oral exam on that subject.

I had NO IDEA what to choose. I hate free subject exams :evil:
The night before, I decided to do my exams on special relativity with powerpoints and all. Since I was quite easy with that subject, I did everything in like 4 hours. Two hours of that on those damn powerpoints.

The day after, I was in class listening to my group oral exams. Subjects: wolves, skateboards, cats, cooking, etc. Mine was special relativity...

I was the last one to pass. My oral exam was supposed to be 10 minutes. I did 20 minutes :lol:

I got 96% :P

My only mistake was how I used the 'ch' as in 'chemistry' and the 'k' in 'kinetics' (in french it's 'cinétique' like 'see-nay-tik'. I used the 'ch' like 'chimney'.

Sorry, nostalgia .... :oops:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:59 pm

Proculation Proculation:
It brings to me an anecdote:

In my last ADVANCED (yes, you've read well) english class in CEGEP (it's 2 years between high school and university in Quebec), we had to take a free subject, write something like 10 pages on the subject and do an oral exam on that subject.

I had NO IDEA what to choose. I hate free subject exams :evil:
The night before, I decided to do my exams on special relativity with powerpoints and all. Since I was quite easy with that subject, I did everything in like 4 hours. Two hours of that on those damn powerpoints.

The day after, I was in class listening to my group oral exams. Subjects: wolves, skateboards, cats, cooking, etc. Mine was special relativity...

I was the last one to pass. My oral exam was supposed to be 10 minutes. I did 20 minutes :lol:

I got 96% :P

My only mistake was how I used the 'ch' as in 'chemistry' and the 'k' in 'kinetics' (in french it's 'cinétique' like 'see-nay-tik'. I used the 'ch' like 'chimney'.

Sorry, nostalgia .... :oops:

Mon ami, je vous assure que votre anglais est de loin supérieur à mon français et que votre 96% est quelque chose d'être fiers. R=UP

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:39 pm

Traveling forward in time is easy. Right now your traveling forward in time at a break neck speed of 1 second/second. Curiously this also shows how little we understand time that this is the best measure of velocity through time available.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:38 am

Dragom Dragom:
Traveling forward in time is easy. Right now your traveling forward in time at a break neck speed of 1 second/second.

Ha! Well-put.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:24 am

INteresting, I'm gonna go home and watch Quantum Leap now.