canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:03 pm

Whatever, this fuck will be fired and Canada will be great.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:04 pm

In regards to the student's reception of O Canada...

The reason I don't care what they think is because none of them know when
a good thing is happening.

If we stopped things just because the kids had no interest, we'd stop all
Anti-Bullying campaigns, all "Eat healthy" campaigns, they'd let Pop in school
again, etc.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:05 pm

hwacker hwacker:

Canada IS great, no matter if this princaple gets fired or not ;-)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:06 pm

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
DerbyX DerbyX:
RUEZ RUEZ:

The same argument was made during the lords prayer debate. We weren't forcing people to recite the prayer but we were forcing others to not recite it.

But again, this is Canada, not church.

Irrelevent.

Trying to establish the double standard undermines your argument.

Forcing someone to listen O Canada is no different than forcing them to listen to the Lord's prayer. If you want to force O Canada, then be prepared to listen to others say their prayers.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:06 pm

Streaker Streaker:
The short version would be that I don't give a damn one way or the other whether they sing O Canada every day at some school in New Brunswick, but I do find it interesting that those who are outraged by this are generally the same crowd who are pro-war, right-wing, racially intolerant etc... Yes, I'm painting in broad strokes, but that's essentially the way it is.

What makes this interesting is that there is attempt to intimidate and bully some guy into submission because of a decision he has made about the anthem. Is this the kind of Canada we're becoming? Are we adopting cheap, shallow, American-style expressions of (faux) patriotism?

The people who bitch about this are the same ones who go around labelling anyone against our involvement in A-stan as "Taliban supporters". This is yet another sign of intolerance and thuggery in action. It all constitutes a nightmarish vision of the kind of Canada we could become if good people remain silent.

So basically, you are just stereotyping a large diverse group of people with little to back it up. There are plenty of "leftwing" people who also sent emails demanding it be reinstated as well. People have come from all corners of the country, thousands of them, as mentioned in the article.

I would say that the bigger threat to this country is not people who loudly make their opinions known, but the apparent need by many to divide everyone into left and right. THe idea that if you demand the singing of the anthem in school you must be an american-syle right wing neo-con. Or otherwise you are a left wing sissy who is anti-Canadian.

Maybe these are just a bunch of Canadians who want to see the anthem played in the school and that's it. Why do people always feel the need to turn this into a whole other discussion?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:07 pm

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
What does O Canada force? All it screams is unity for Canadians!

What does forcing people to recite religious prayers do if they don't believe? Isn't it harmless?

That was the argument.

$1:
Think about it. How many other civilizations did this in history? How many were less then desirable?

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
People can go ahead and question the state.

I'd understand your objection if our anthem demanded that no one ever to leave Canada or that we all have to go play hockey on Saturday, or them to literally never oppose government. But no. O Canada is a song that simply has pride in Canadians being together. It has to be the most mellow anthem on Earth. I can't think of it mentally corrupting anyone.

The same argument can apply for religious prayer. They don't "demand" anything yet they do.

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
Canada is a difficult country.
It's argued very much that we aren't even a nation.
Very few things link ALL Canadians and express us as being Canadian.

All we literally have that binds us together is a huge State, and symbols
like the Maple Leaf and O Canada. What else? Stereotypes.

No. What binds us is a shared belief in a way of life, one that includes personal choice.

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
I believe we need the small amount of nationalist we actually have to boast.

I didn't need an artifical boost. You certainly don't. We don't need forced patriotism else we are no better then any totalitarian state.

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
I want Canadians raised feeling Canadian. Not to be bent on Nationalism,
but to actually feel connection through one of the few things Canadian
Culture can still have literal claim too.

Thats a question of education and not anthem recitment.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:08 pm

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
But again, this is Canada, not church.

So what? The same ideology applies.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:08 pm

lily lily:
And what's with the continued use of the word "force"? A principal decided not to sing the anthem every day in class. People aren't "forced".

He is forcibly ending this tradition of singing the song daily probably due to his own twisted agenda.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:12 pm

lily lily:
I haven't seen any ill effects from not singing it daily either.

And what's with the continued use of the word "force"? A principal decided not to sing the anthem every day in class. People aren't "forced".

But what is the harm of wanting it to sing it everyday then? It seems to be a fairly widespread opinion across the country from what the principal has said.

As for use of the word forced I didn't use it in that post so you must be referring to another. But technically the school is now being forced to go without the anthem because of the opinions of only two parents in the whole school. Sounds bogus to me.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:12 pm

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
Streaker Streaker:
The short version would be that I don't give a damn one way or the other whether they sing O Canada every day at some school in New Brunswick, but I do find it interesting that those who are outraged by this are generally the same crowd who are pro-war, right-wing, racially intolerant etc... Yes, I'm painting in broad strokes, but that's essentially the way it is.
I'm an Anti-War, Left-Wing, Political Correct Canadian.

Like I said, I am painting in broad strokes.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:13 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
Irrelevent.

Trying to establish the double standard undermines your argument.

Forcing someone to listen O Canada is no different than forcing them to listen to the Lord's prayer. If you want to force O Canada, then be prepared to listen to others say their prayers.

Simply saying that something is irrelevant doesn't make it so.

Is Canada defined by Christianity? Is the Lord's Prayer about Canada at all?

No.

But O Canada, is.

What country are you in when you stand for O Canada? Canada.
Are you in church when you sing the Lord's Prayer at school? No.
A Church is defined by the Lord's Prayer. So it makes perfect logical
sense that it not be in school. Unless you are in a catholic school. Then SURE,
have the Lord's Prayer daily.

Last edited by Public_Domain on Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:13 pm

lily lily:
Gunnair Gunnair:
lily lily:

Which is worse... banning something or making it mandatory?

Different sameness

Not quite.

People who do not wish to participate in the daily national anthem may opt out.

Currently, those who wish to participate in a daily national anthem cannot opt in.

You missed the point.

One guy doesn't believe in bans, and another believes it should be mandatory. It's the same thing, in my opinion. Both force your own beliefs on everyone else.

I'm not much of a fan of the rate of interest the bank believes I should pay. The choice seems to be I either opt out of paying interest by not borrowing, or I complain to the government to force the bank to lend me money at 0% interest.

Wonder which it would be?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:14 pm

Brenda Brenda:
hwacker hwacker:

Canada IS great, no matter if this princaple gets fired or not ;-)

No we don't need a POS like this in Canada, send him to the corn fields.

I’ll bet you 10K this little shit disturber wished he never made this stupid decision.

Anyways let’s watch the guy from Quebec kick the shit out of the Hawaiian

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:16 pm

Streaker Streaker:
Like I said, I am painting in broad strokes.

Which is something that I can't stand whether I agree with a person's opinion or not. IMHO doing that robs that persons argument of any validity (for lack of a better word) whatsoever. If it is necessary to just stereotype to prove your point then is wasn't a very good one in the first place.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:16 pm

I'm not saying the anthem should be mandatory to sing. I am saying it should be mandatory for it to be available to sing. Anyone not wanting to participate is free to do so.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 3  4  5  6  7  8  9 ... 18  Next