Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:27 am

Interesting

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:33 am

Yep, and Anonymous labelling you Amanda's cyberstalker when the RCMP says he's not, and Anonymous has now decided somebody else is really the stalker (who's name etc they also published) that can also cause problems for somebody, including job loss. It's not just about what you post.

There was also the case of the Vancouver rioter who lost her job because she bragged about stealing stuff. Of course then, her being a woman and all, the judge gave her no jail time because she had already suffered enough.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:39 am

$1:
"The example I often use when I teach this material in class is to say if an employee posts on their Facebook page that they're a Toronto Maple Leafs fan, and the boss is an Ottawa Senators fan, they can be fired for that," says David Doorey, associate professor of labour and employment law at York University's school of human resource management in Toronto.

IMO this is ridiculous.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:45 am

They can't be fired for that, tho if the boss is rabid enough, he'll find another reason. Seems like a poor example to me.

But let's say somebody posts they're into BDSM - don't know if they can be fired for it, but certainly not hired in the first place.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:49 am

How about bragging about your excessive drinking and drug use?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:50 am

andyt andyt:
They can't be fired for that, tho if the boss is rabid enough, he'll find another reason. Seems like a poor example to me.

But let's say somebody posts they're into BDSM - don't know if they can be fired for it, but certainly not hired in the first place.

Personal preferences should have nothing to do with your professional life.
When you get drunk on a Saturday night and post pictures of that on FB, should not be a problem at work. When you show up drunk for work, it should. But weirdly enough, it doesn't.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:55 am

Brenda Brenda:
When you show up drunk for work, it should. But weirdly enough, it doesn't.

In the military showing up drunk was treated as a big deal, just like every civilian job I had before.

What you do on your own time is your business but as soon as it starts to affect your job performance it becomes your bosses business. How he/she chooses to deal with that is up to them and company policy.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:59 am

2Cdo 2Cdo:
Brenda Brenda:
When you show up drunk for work, it should. But weirdly enough, it doesn't.

In the military showing up drunk was treated as a big deal, just like every civilian job I had before.

What you do on your own time is your business but as soon as it starts to affect your job performance it becomes your bosses business. How he/she chooses to deal with that is up to them and company policy.

Personal experience learns that it is not a problem to keep working as a mechanic when you lose your license due to drunk driving, or to just stay on the job while intoxicated every damned day.

Don't ask me how and why. If they were my employees, they would have both been fired a long time ago.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:03 am

Brenda Brenda:
Don't ask me how and why. If they were my employees, they would have both been fired a long time ago.

Yep, I agree 100%.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:04 am

Here's a thought: Don't 'Friend' your boss.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:48 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

R=UP

My policy goes one further and is to not friend anyone I work with currently, though I will add past co-workers. Having a different name on FB than in real life usually helps people from tracking me down too.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:59 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

R=UP

My policy goes one further and is to not friend anyone I work with currently, though I will add past co-workers. Having a different name on FB than in real life usually helps people from tracking me down too.

Ditto. If I had the Binder of Faces, I would only friend people that I would have over for coffee. Or beer.

My boss is my boss; I like him, I work well with him, but it's rare for him (or her) to be my 'friend'.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:01 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

R=UP

Kind of defeats the purpose of FB, doesn't it? Here's another thought - post NOTHING you would not want on the front page of your area newspaper. . .

Last edited by Toastmaker on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:01 pm

What I find funniest about this entire situation is I bet 90% of Canadians (and so far 100% of posters) agree that personal life is PERSONAL, regardless if you put it on your personal internet site.
Yet, somehow the law disagrees.

WTF kind of democracy do we live in?