canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:17 am

Title: Canadians want Trudeau to stand up to Trump, even if it leads to trade war: poll
Category: Economics
Posted By: shockedcanadian
Date: 2017-02-08 09:15:33
Canadian

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:17 am

Imagine 40% of American companies left Canada and headed back to America to employ Americans? And a tariff of 15% was placed at the border.

Where would Canada's economy rank within a year?

I say let the trade war begin. Canada has earned this right!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:25 am

I've seen pictures of Somalia. We don't deserve that.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:29 am

shockedcanadian shockedcanadian:
Imagine 40% of American companies left Canada and headed back to America to employ Americans? And a tariff of 15% was placed at the border.

Where would Canada's economy rank within a year?

I say let the trade war begin. Canada has earned this right!

Protectionism won't work any better in 2017 than it did in the 1930s.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:31 am

$1:
Canadians want Trudeau to stand up to Trump, even if it leads to trade war

In other news, 58% of Canadians are retards, and have no idea how the
Canadian economy actually works.

More at 11.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:36 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Then it might be wise to stop letting them make Canada look like home.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:39 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Yes, I noticed all the car bombings and people walking around with AK's. :roll: :lol:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:42 am

bootlegga bootlegga:

Free trade isn't working out so well in 2017. Maybe what we all need is a balanced approach to trade that preserves jobs and also keeps trade moving.

I'll support Fair Trade. But this nonsense of continually exporting jobs and then importing cheap labor to take over the jobs we have left has got to stop.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:46 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Yes, I noticed all the car bombings and people walking around with AK's. :roll: :lol:

In Canada the terrorists have to take into account environmental sensibilities and they also have to comply with applicable firearms regulations not to mention cultural sensitivities.

Give them time and they'll conduct terrorist attacks using zero emission vehicles, legal firearms, and they'll be careful not to offend anyone, too.

They may even apologize afterwards. :rock:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:53 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Give them time and they'll conduct terrorist attacks using zero emission vehicles, legal firearms, and they'll be careful not to offend anyone, too.

I think the reason no one speaks about the weapons used by the Quebec shooter was that they were legally obtained restricted weapons.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:03 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

I think the reason no one speaks about the weapons used by the Quebec shooter was that they were legally obtained restricted weapons.

Okay, but did he use mass transit to get to the attack? I think Canada needs to do more to get the terrorists out of their carbon-polluting cars and into mass transit like they do in Europe.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:06 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
bootlegga bootlegga:

Free trade isn't working out so well in 2017. Maybe what we all need is a balanced approach to trade that preserves jobs and also keeps trade moving.

I'll support Fair Trade. But this nonsense of continually exporting jobs and then importing cheap labor to take over the jobs we have left has got to stop.

Free trade is working very well - the North American economies have all continued growing since NAFTA was signed. Sure, some low skilled jobs have gone to Mexico, but the majority of low skilled jobs have been replaced by robots, not Mexicans.

https://www.ft.com/content/dec677c0-b7e ... d1533d9a62

http://fortune.com/2016/11/08/china-automation-jobs/

As for Fair Trade, that's a discussion to be had with both Asian countries and the 'American' corporations that have increased profitability by off-shoring jobs and/or outsourcing manufacturing since the 1980s.

And honestly, if you want Americans to be cashiers, nannies, gardeners or produce pickers, you need to pay them far more than you do immigrants - gasp, that might mean you need a higher minimum wage! And all that means the cost of many products and services will go for up everyone.

Frankly, I don't see much appetite for that with the American consumer for higher priced goods/services.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:24 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
And honestly, if you want Americans to be cashiers, nannies, gardeners or produce pickers...

Then you need meaningful employment to be more rewarding than sitting around on your ass all day collecting various forms of welfare and voting Democrat every 24 months.

Cut welfare and suddenly a bunch of people will discover that honest work wasn't beneath their dignity after all.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:28 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Edmonton police renew reward money totalling $440,000 for tips to solve 11 slayings between 2006 and 2009, all linked to the city's Somali community
$1:
EDMONTON - Edmonton police have renewed rewards totalling $440,000 for tips to solve 11 homicides -- all between 2006 and 2009 -- with links to the city's Somali community.

"It is a step in the right direction because the community is also looking for kind of a closure. People have been killed, loved ones have been lost, so they need to know who was the perpetrator and have they been brought to justice," says Jibril Ibrahim, president of the Somali Canadian Cultural Society of Edmonton.

The 11 cold cases -- each offering a $40,000 reward -- were recently renewed by the Edmonton Police Commission. Police at the time expressed frustration after violence exploded within the Somali community while potential witnesses were reluctant to come forward.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2016/03/26/edmonton-police-renew-reward-money-totalling-440000-for-tips-to-solve-11-slayings-between-2006-and-2009-all-linked-to-the-citys-somali-community

The Somalia community has issues.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:46 am

BRAH BRAH:
The Somalia community has issues.

Always has. The fact that someone can walk into a crowded bar, shoot someone point blank and no one saw anything - that says it all. Somalis don't trust police, and with good reason given their history.

But Edmonton is a far cry from Mogadishu, despite what Bart thinks.