Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:51 pm

I am excited to announce another new site in the CKA network, Parliament2.ca

Parliament 2 is Canada's version of whitehouse2.org, where YOU set the nation's priorities. Imagining how the parliament might work if it was run completely democratically through the internet.

http://parliament2.ca/

The main idea of the site is for regular Canadians to submit there top priorities for the country, or endorse them if someone has already added the same priority. They are then ranked by various criteria. "Talking Points", documents and discussions can be associated with each priority.

Priorities are also ranked separately by different groups of users, Citizens, government employees and politicians. Hopefully people from each group will join the site and endorse or oppose items. Each group is given the same amount of weight in the final score and someone can only belong to one group at a time.

I want to mention that this is meant to be a fairly serious mature site, and the same amount of banter will not be tolerated in the comments on parliament2. There is ZERO tolerance for any personal attacks.

You can quickly join the site and start contributing by logging in with either your Facebook, Twitter or register a new account.

I hope to add more integration with CKA and politwitter on the site, but I wanted to announce it today to start getting more data into the system. I added a couple priorities to get the ball rolling.

I am also looking for Canadian developers who have an interest in politics to help run and develop the site. Please contact me if you're interested. And as always please let me know any feedback you have!

Forum Elite
Forum Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:53 pm

Sweet

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:59 pm

Nice...

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:48 am

Heh, edorsed it all save for EI reform and abolution of the penny.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:26 am

http://parliament2.ca/ is starting to take-off, 240 members registered now and lots of new issues and discussion going on. Some of the voting is imbalanced right now though, I think. There was an influx of new users from links posted on Autism blogs and Right-wing forums, so some of the priorities reflect that.

But its nice to see the site start to be actively used, hopefully more people will join to further broaden the range of opinions.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Pittsburgh Penguins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:59 am

Let's see what I can screw up for everybody..... *click*

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:17 am

Canadian_Mind Canadian_Mind:
Heh, edorsed it all save for EI reform and abolution of the penny.

Preference polls conducted through the internet are subject to being hijacked. Last year the CBC went through a similar exercise to determine the "top issues" for Canadians. The conservative discussion group Free Dominion made sure enough people opposed to abortion voted to ensure that fetal rights became the number 1 issue.

The basic question is: are the topics voted on reflective of the priorities of Canadians?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:27 am

What they should do is include a check-list of sorts along the same lines to be submitted with each and every tax return. It should be worth noting that every body is legally allowed to submit a tax return even if you have no income.

By doing it this way you are taking into account pretty much the entire voting public and ensure that there is a minimal amount of fraud. As it is, internet polls like this make for interesting debates but are very far down on the list of credibility as of yet.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:42 am

DerbyX DerbyX:
What they should do is include a check-list of sorts along the same lines to be submitted with each and every tax return. It should be worth noting that every body is legally allowed to submit a tax return even if you have no income.

By doing it this way you are taking into account pretty much the entire voting public and ensure that there is a minimal amount of fraud. As it is, internet polls like this make for interesting debates but are very far down on the list of credibility as of yet.

Without incurring the cost of a referendum you would need a system that would ensure you would only vote once. If not by tax returns, an internet poll where you have to enter your SIN number?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:52 am

leewgrant leewgrant:
DerbyX DerbyX:

Without incurring the cost of a referendum you would need a system that would ensure you would only vote once. If not by tax returns, an internet poll where you have to enter your SIN number?

Thats the idea behind putting the check list with tax returns. People only fill out one tax return right?

Even having people submit their SIN number for an online poll isn't a surety against vote irregularities. I'm sure people can simply start with their own number and then vote a whole bunch of times just by adding 1 each time. Now you might tie it in with a valid name and nip that in the bud but who knows.

We might also have a checklist that gets submitted whenever we vote. They check your ID and voters list and when they do you submit your form into a secured box.
Lots of good ideas that would allow us to tell the government how we want them to govern.

the really problem might be the fact that we'll end up with lots of people with no clue in the least demanding no taxes but more services and then getting mad when they don't get it (because they are asking for an unreasonable thing).

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:37 am

DerbyX DerbyX:
Even having people submit their SIN number for an online poll isn't a surety against vote irregularities. I'm sure people can simply start with their own number and then vote a whole bunch of times just by adding 1 each time. Now you might tie it in with a valid name and nip that in the bud but who knows.

The tax return might be a better idea but you can't just add 1 to your SIN. There is a control system that prevents you from arbitrarily creating a SIN number.

Also the system could be programmed to only accept SIN numbers that have been issued.