Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:28 am

Title: Excitement high as iPad goes on sale in Canada
Category: Tech
Posted By: wildrosegirl
Date: 2010-05-28 09:08:20
Canadian

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:28 am

Do all of the Canadian's standing in line for one of these things realize that most of the cool features aren't available for the iPad in Canada? It's all locked up in copyright problems and distribution deals.

Netflix? Nope!
iBookstore? Nope!
Skype? Nope!
Flash (YouTube, etc)? Nope!
Hulu? Nope!

It's pretty much a bigger, more expensive iPod Touch here in Canada. To each his own I guess, I don't get it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:52 am

Morons.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:06 am

BigKeithO BigKeithO:
Do all of the Canadian's standing in line for one of these things realize that most of the cool features aren't available for the iPad in Canada? It's all locked up in copyright problems and distribution deals.

Netflix? Nope!
iBookstore? Nope!
Skype? Nope!
Hulu? Nope!

It's pretty much a bigger, more expensive iPod Touch here in Canada. To each his own I guess, I don't get it.

andyt andyt:
Morons.

+1 to both. Apple has exceeded Microsoft in Market cap, only by being more evil than Microsoft.

Even if the distributions that Keith mentions were available, why would I pay money for a content delivery system that I don't control?

Can I download a TV show to it? No.

Can I play music on it, using anything other than iTunes? Nope.

I'll wait for a real, open standards tablet that will cost half what the iPad does thankyouverymuch.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:09 am

I'm not buying something I have to send to Apple (at my expense) in order to get the battery changed. :roll:

Built to fail.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:21 am

BigKeithO BigKeithO:

Netflix? Nope!
iBookstore? Nope!
Skype? Nope!
Hulu? Nope!

Where are you getting this info? Netflix has never been available in Canada so i'm sure most people are aware of that, itunes has their own video store. Flash isn't available on the iPad anywhere, but youtube is available in Canada. Hulu isn't but who cares. According to the Apple webpage Ibooks is available in Canada. So really the only thing Canadians are missing out on is Hulu, but it's still just a larger iPod Touch.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:37 am

I WANT ONE BECAUSE ITS COOL AND I WANT TO BE COOL! I'M GUNNA SLAP ON MY AMBICROMBE SHIRT, HOLLISTER PANTS AND GO WAIT IN LINE! I'M DEFINED BY THE EXPENSIVE BUT SHOTTY PRODUCTS I BUY!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:43 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

I'll wait for a real, open standards tablet that will cost half what the iPad does thankyouverymuch.

Yes you can download a TV show to it.
No you can't use anything but iTunes but who cares? It's free. You can even upload your pirated music through iTunes.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:56 am

RUEZ RUEZ:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Yes you can download a TV show to it.
No you can't use anything but iTunes but who cares? It's free. You can even upload your pirated music through iTunes.

Really? How do I get the video I record using my TV Capture card onto an iPad? Most capture cards require you capture using the iPad to USB. Mine doesn't do that. Believe me, others have tried and failed. But it plays just fine from my NAS to my laptop or PC.

And I've never pirated music, sorry to spoil your red herring there. Because I want the freedom to use my PURCHASED items how I want does not mean I'm doing something illegal.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:59 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Really? How do I get the video I record using my TV Capture card onto an iPad? Most capture cards require you capture using the iPad to USB. Mine doesn't do that. Believe me, others have tried and failed. But it plays just fine from my NAS to my laptop or PC.

And I've never pirated music, sorry to spoil your red herring there. Because I want the freedom to use my PURCHASED items how I want does not mean I'm doing something illegal.

:D alright you're the one person in Canada that doesn't have pirated music. Hell even I have some.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:04 pm

I'm not sure if file sharing has been rendered illegal yet.

I think that is one of the reasons the government keeps on trying to update Canadian copyright law.

Thankfully they can't seem to get it done.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:09 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

:D alright you're the one person in Canada that doesn't have pirated music. Hell even I have some.

I'm one of the oddballs all right. Every MP3 I have, I either have the CD or LP, or I rented from a Library. Yes, it's legal to rip a CD you get from the Library - that's what the CD tax covers. ITunes isn't the greatest playback program, especially if you want to feed multiple rooms from different sound feeds using the same sound card.

But I do like the Genius mix feature.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:20 pm

Fact is the sheep lined up for an inferior and inflated produt that will be subject to all the issues they always are. I'll wait and see what the competition has to offer soon.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:32 pm

Is this some newfangled feminine hygiene thingie?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:43 pm

For those of you who can't affort an I-Pad, you can go play I-Dressup.

It's free you cheap bastards! :wink:

http://www.i-dressup.com/girls/Valentine.php