http://www.canadaka.net/link.php?id=36223

viewtopic.php?t=67128

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:24 pm

I really hate to burst your bubble trit, but, while the two stories are similar, the main topic is different enough for both stories to be posted. You can say the second one was a follow up, expanding what was stated in the first.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:11 pm

Didn't Harper just say they were going to cut the new navy patrol ships?

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:36 pm

Yep,It canceled a tender call for the purchase of 12 mid-shore patrol ships for the coast guard and scuttled the navy's project to replace its aging supply ships, saying bids from the shipbuilding industry were higher than the money set aside for the program.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:51 pm

I don't understand. The article implies that Canada is widening its arctic sovereignty but at the same time cancels out of new patrol ships...so basically it's Canada's talk the talk but can't walk the walk routine... really now. :roll:

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:02 pm

The mid-shore patrol vessels were to be used primarily for fisheries conservation and protection duties in the Maritime, Quebec and Pacific regions. So far I as know plans are still on for up to eight Polar Class 5 Arctic Offshore Patrol Ships.

The new Polar Class 5 Arctic offshore patrol ships will be able to patrol the length of the Northwest Passage during the summer navigable season and its approaches year-round, and will also be capable of full operations on the East and West Coasts throughout the year.

They will be custom-designed and built in Canada, and will be among the heaviest, most versatile armed naval vessels capable of sustained operations in ice.

With steel-reinforced hulls, they will be capable of operating in ice up to one meter (39 inches) thick, and each vessel will be equipped with a helicopter landing pad.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:23 pm

That's if the Cons are elected in this so called 'upcoming' election. Those could very well be scrapped as well.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:10 am

Once again, I ask, how are we going to do this? Hope a Ranger can pull over a US icebreaker on his skidoo? Despite all of Harper big talk, they still haven't done anything in the Arctic, other than hide there during the AIDS conference.

No contracts for bases, icebreakers, or anything else so far. At the rate Harper's going, he'll wind up just like Mulroney, lots of hot air promises and nothing to show for it.

For all his talk of 'Canada First', his cancellation of the mid-shore vessels speaks volumes. Surpluses go to taxcuts not the military. Then again, he's a politician, so I shouldn't be surprised he lied about his defence spending promises...