canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 4:19 pm

It should wrap up soon, at the current rate of compounding stupidity living past 2025 will probably be a stretch.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 4:29 pm

I think you underestimate the length, depth and width of political stupidity.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 4:44 pm

Full disclosure: I am against overturning Roe. I think that a citizen of a country should have the same rights in all parts of a country. My rights should not change as I cross state lines (not borders) in the same country, but that is just me talking here. I also believe that someone has awakened a sleeping giant here. The Dems were all set for a royal ass beating come the mid terms. Everyone, and I do mean everyone was fed up with Biden and the Dems. Runaway inflation, fears of WW3, etc., etc. You know the score. Now you have an energized base all of a sudden. Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. If your plan was to sink the right with a master stroke, you could not have done a better job than what this leak has accomplished.

That said, today I seen the barrage of signs saying: "my body my choice". Technically speaking its not their body, its someone else's body occupying their body at the time that is being killed off. If we were talking about suicide, than we could say:"my body my choice". Someone else is doing the dying here. They get no say in their own demise. Even though I am personally against abortion, I still would not overturn Roe. People should not be forced to be parents against their will. Too many shitty parents as it is.

That said.....I would like to know where all these "my body my choice " people were the last two years that people have been losing their careers over not wanting to take a shot? People like Doctors and Nurses that were risking their lives on the front lines fighting the pandemic as "essential workers" suddenly turned into persona non grata when they wanted to say "my body my choice". People that were called heros and were missing body parts for fighting for their country were thrown into the garbage dumpster for saying "my body my choice". Where was the outcry from all the lefties who are too lazy to practice birth control when it came to supporting someone who had a valid reason to state "my body my choice"? Where were they? The silence was deafening.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 4:55 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
xerxes xerxes:
Things are going to get UGLY now. If this leak is legit, and it looks like it is, then the GOP won’t stop at Roe. Next will come the Lawrence decision and likely Griswold. They will get their Gilead and not even need a bloody coup.

Let's hope Canada remains as strong and independent as it was portrayed on the TV show.

Hope so too. The movie Logan came out the same year and in both instances, it was Canada that stayed chill while the world went mad.

And if things go down the route of the worst case scenario, then our government is seriously going to have to plan for an influx of refugees from the US. Women and LGBTQ people are going to be marginalized and legally stripped of their civil rights if the GOP gets their way.

The GOP is going legislate away the 20th century if they get the chance, and it increasingly looks like they will.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 4:59 pm

I've read the New Testament, and I can't recall anything in it that actually forbade abortion. So I've never understood the theological justification for restricting abortion and contraception, which seems pretty shaky based on the Bible.

And I've always been baffled by Republicans who raise such a stink about infringements on personal liberty are perfectly willing to restrict it when it comes to things like marriage, homosexuality and abortion.

So if the U.S. is supposed to be a bastion of freedom, how does it justify depriving so many women of the liberty to decide whether they want to bring a fetus to term?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 5:02 pm

Scape Scape:
No one thought Russia would be dumb enough to invade Ukraine and no one thought the GOP would be dumb enough to overturn Roe. We live in the DUMBEST of timelines.

I don't see it that way. This isn't going to be a losing issue for the GOP. This what they've been wanting for 50 years. It's why they've been stacking the courts, it's why they've been dominating so many state legislatures, it's what they use to rile up their base.

Stopping abortion and hating on the gays/tranny's are their only policy positions, and with this decision, they are half way there.

The Democrat's need to make this an issue for the midterms, and they will, but they'll fail as they always do. They won't and they don't know how to fight dirty like the GOP does.

Already I'm seeing Biden say he doesn't support ending the filibuster to protect women's rights. That shows they've already conceded the loss. If they REALLY cared, they would end the filibuster tonight to protect women's rights. But they won't; they're too fixated on comity and trying to make nice with the GOP, even though the GOP steps on their necks every single time.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 5:06 pm

JaredMilne JaredMilne:
I've read the New Testament, and I can't recall anything in it that actually forbade abortion. So I've never understood the theological justification for restricting abortion and contraception, which seems pretty shaky based on the Bible.

And I've always been baffled by Republicans who raise such a stink about infringements on personal liberty are perfectly willing to restrict it when it comes to things like marriage, homosexuality and abortion.

So if the U.S. is supposed to be a bastion of freedom, how does it justify depriving so many women of the liberty to decide whether they want to bring a fetus to term?

There's is nothing in the Bible about preventing abortions. If anything, it details how to perform them.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Numbers%205%3A11-31&version=NIV

There is nothing Christian about this ruling, or anything the right claims is religiously based. This is about control of women and male supremacy. Take away their agency and bodily autonomy and make them subservient.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 7:39 pm

$1:
We live in the DUMBEST of timelines.

Idiocracy.
The Triumph of the Ignoroids

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 6:12 am

rickc rickc:
Everyone, and I do mean everyone was fed up with Biden and the Dems. Runaway inflation, fears of WW3, etc., etc. You know the score.

See, there you go again! Yes, I know the score. Biden has nothing to do with either inflation or WWIII. Another example of the divisive politics we see throughout the western world.

If Biden were responsible for inflation, it would only be in the US, not worldwide. And Putin is 100% responsible for Ukraine, and whether he escalates outside of Ukraine.

rickc rickc:
If we were talking about suicide, than we could say:"my body my choice". Someone else is doing the dying here.

They aren't 'someone' until they move out and get a job. ;) And suicide is still illegal. Always has been. :idea: If abortion becomes illegal, will suicide become legal? It would be their body, their choice for real.

rickc rickc:
That said.....I would like to know where all these "my body my choice " people were the last two years that people have been losing their careers over not wanting to take a shot? ... Where were they? The silence was deafening.

In the Covid-19 thread. You should read it more. Your argument is flawed, in that a person's actions in not masking or getting vaccinated doesn't affect just them, but everyone around them. What about their right not to be made sick by a carrier of Covid19?

Think about your argument in the case of other communicable diseases like Leprosy or Ebola, and see if they still make sense.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 6:15 am

xerxes xerxes:
JaredMilne JaredMilne:

There's is nothing in the Bible about preventing abortions. If anything, it details how to perform them.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Numbers%205%3A11-31&version=NIV

There is nothing Christian about this ruling, or anything the right claims is religiously based. This is about control of women and male supremacy. Take away their agency and bodily autonomy and make them subservient.

To my knowledge, no religion has any proscription against abortion.

People pushing it on the basis of religion usually just are doing it over a sense of their own morality and wanting to force that on the rest of the population. As Ghandi noted, that is the definition of 'violence'.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 6:24 am

If you only watch one, watch this one. ^^

This is what the anti-abortion crowd wants women to go through.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 11:15 am

rickc rickc:
Everyone, and I do mean everyone was fed up with Biden and the Dems. Runaway inflation, fears of WW3, etc., etc.
People attributing that to the democrats are braindead fuckheads anyways.
$1:
That said, today I seen the barrage of signs saying: "my body my choice". Technically speaking its not their body, its someone else's body occupying their body at the time that is being killed off.

A fetus is not a body or a person. And a zygote definitely is not a body or a person. That's nonsense.

$1:
That said.....I would like to know where all these "my body my choice " people were the last two years that people have been losing their careers over not wanting to take a shot? People like Doctors and Nurses that were risking their lives on the front lines fighting the pandemic as "essential workers" suddenly turned into persona non grata when they wanted to say "my body my choice".

Because that affects everyone around you and causes untold death and sickness to millions. Getting a vaccine also =/= delivering a baby. There are numerous hormonal, physical, and psychological side effects that a vaccine or wearing a mask do not come with. Imagine trying to compare getting a fucking vaccine to being pregnant.

$1:
Where was the outcry from all the lefties who are too lazy to practice birth control when it came to supporting someone who had a valid reason to state "my body my choice"? Where were they? The silence was deafening.

Where is the financial support for birth control to those living in poverty? Where is the sex education that even teaches proper birth control? Why are republicans always AGAINST those things? Or do you just conveniently ignore those?

Your moronic healthcare system means that to get a birth control pill women have to spend hundreds of dollars on a doctors visit and then hundreds of dollars a year on the pills themselves. And that's even with proper education, which all the states that are going to ban abortion basically don't have proper sex education. It's almost like it's all designed to force people in poverty to have babies and keep them in poverty so that they can feed the prison industrial complex and continue legalized slavery.

But hey, ask Andrew Sullivan. Systemic racism doesn't exist in the USA right?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 2:16 pm

Fool me once...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 4:05 pm

Put Collins in a home where she belongs.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 5:32 pm

$1:
Everyone, and I do mean everyone was fed up with Biden and the Dems. Runaway inflation, fears of WW3, etc., etc.

see my previous post.

"Most people" don't have a clue how the gov't works. Or anything else for that matter. They seem to think Biden/Trudeau/The Queen just pick up the phone and it happens. Make Joe Plumber's toast burn.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 251 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5 ... 17  Next