PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:07 pm

Title: USS The Sullivans taking on water rapidly
Category: History
Posted By: Scape
Date: 2022-04-14 14:59:39

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:07 pm

That really sucks. Hopefully she can saved.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:06 pm

I give her better odds than the Moskva. Although I suspect we will need to dredge that up as well as it of course has nukes on board.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:19 pm

Rust never sleeps and it's the bane of each and every museum ship out there that's left in the water instead of being permanently dry-docked. Hopefully they can recover The Sullivans. And hopefully the other museum ships will be getting a good underwater inspection of their hulls done sometime soon in case they're in danger of the same thing happening to them too.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:00 pm

From what I’ve been reading, the keepers of The Sullivans were aware there was an issue and they had raised money for repairs. Problem was, there wasn’t a lot of available dock space to do repairs and were waiting for a berth when this disaster happened. It’s the same reason it’s taking so long to repair the USS Texas.

Old ships like that need a lot of expensive care. There were built quickly and not expected to have a service life past a few years, much less eighty. That’s why Parks Canada paid millions of dollars to keep the HMCS Haida afloat; she needed extensive repairs.