canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:02 am

Title: Two churches destroyed by fire on PIB, OIB reserves on National Indigenous Peoples Day
Category: Religion
Posted By: Scape
Date: 2021-06-21 18:59:53
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:02 am

Is this really surprising?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:23 pm

No, not really.

Two things came to mind when I first heard about these fires.

First of all, though I'm sure that the person(s) responsible for setting the fires may have have experienced a sense of triumph for destroying the churches it changes nothing about what the Catholic church did to thousands of children.

Second, the arsonists are damn fortunate that neither fire got out of control in an area that is very dry and prone to very destructive wildfires that could have threatened lives and livelihoods.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:27 pm

These things can get a momentum all their own. A mea culpa by the church would have put a damper on it but c'est la vie.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:44 pm

Institutions like the Vatican only apologize when they & their representatives around the world have done something wrong. The problem arises when you realize they genuinely believe that they've never ever done anything wrong in their entire history. The bodies and lives of the victims of the churches be damned, their souls had to be saved by any means necessary.

When a social autopsy on the supremacist mindset gets done it will reveal that almost all of the "we are so good that everything we do is good, no matter how much harm it causes or how many die or are destroyed from our behaviour & actions" belief system originates with the monotheist religions. God is always on their side, remember. :evil: :roll:

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:53 pm

Strutz Strutz:
No, not really.

Two things came to mind when I first heard about these fires.

First of all, though I'm sure that the person(s) responsible for setting the fires may have have experienced a sense of triumph for destroying the churches it changes nothing about what the Catholic church did to thousands of children.

Second, the arsonists are damn fortunate that neither fire got out of control in an area that is very dry and prone to very destructive wildfires that could have threatened lives and livelihoods.

You're damn right about the second point.

As for the first one, the linked article talks about the grief and sorrow a lot of the Native parishoners are feeling at seeing the churches being destroyed. The TRC summary report talked about the different opinions various Indigenous people have about Christianity and their relations to it.

The arsonists may feel a sense of triumph like you say, but they just caused additional pain for so many other people through their actions. Christianity still plays an important role for a lot of Indigenous people. When I was a little kid in the late '80s, I used to see the Tribal Trails show on local networks early in the mornings and they're still going strong today.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:00 pm

Given what Christianity did to them every country in the Americas is lucky the Natives didn't skin every churchman in revenge and then convert to radical Islam en masse. :|

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:16 pm

$1:
Two more Catholic churches on First Nations reserve land in B.C. have burned to the ground.

The churches, both in the Similkameen region, went up in flames early Saturday morning and both were destroyed completely, say Penticton RCMP.

RCMP say that just before 4 a.m. they received a call about a fire at St. Ann's Church, which is located just east of Hedley on Upper Similkameen Indian Band land. Then at 4:45 a.m. they got a call about a fire at Chopaka Church on Lower Similkameen Indian Band land, just east of Keremeos.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/2-more-catholic-c ... -1.5487033

Again, these 2 fires could have easily gotten out of control and caused major devastation.

An irresponsible act that changes nothing.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:55 am

The law doesn't seem to apply to everyone, apparently.

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:38 pm

Law sure didn't seem to apply to the priests, nuns, and other residential school staff for the better part of a 120 years. :|

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:58 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Law sure didn't seem to apply to the priests, nuns, and other residential school staff for the better part of a 120 years. :|

One of the reasons I stopped being a Catholic after I finished high school was because that the church in general seems to consider themselves either above the law, or helping to make it according to their own views and beliefs.

That rubbed me the wrong way, so I decided that I wad finished with religion. I do however, am partial towards Taoism in some ways.

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:07 pm

I actually do respect the Catholic church for a number of things, like basically saving western civilization in it's monasterial archives when the Roman empire finally collapsed and also throughout the Dark Ages. That being said it's obvious they abandoned the very spirit of the Sermon on the Mount centuries ago and have wrapped themselves up in utterly ridiculous ritual & dogma for far too long. And they have no one to blame but themselves, thanks to their very own behaviour, for nearly everyone assuming a priest is responsible for when any story breaks about horrible abuse and sexual deviancy happening to children.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:10 pm

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:11 pm

Thanos Thanos:
I actually do respect the Catholic church for a number of things, like basically saving western civilization in it's monasterial archives when the Roman empire finally collapsed and also throughout the Dark Ages. That being said it's obvious they abandoned the very spirit of the Sermon on the Mount centuries ago and have wrapped themselves up in utterly ridiculous ritual & dogma for far too long. And they have no one to blame but themselves, thanks to their very own behaviour, for nearly everyone assuming a priest is responsible for when any story breaks about horrible abuse and sexual deviancy happening to children.

How long before a female priest is able to marry her girlfriend, do you think?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:24 pm

Never. Nearly every single policy they have on real-life social arrangements human have is utterly ridiculous. Banning hetero priests from being married was the single worst thing they could have done to ensure that perversion got so deeply embedded in the church it could never be eliminated.