canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 New York Rangers
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:39 am

Bart pointed out to me that given the amount of Americans of very recent German ancestry not to mention the Irish wave of immigrants who weren't favorable at all to Great Britain that if events and decisions happened a little differently the US might have stayed out of the war entirely or have joined the German side. I've been spending some time thinking how the world might be different if that occurred.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:43 am

GreenTiger GreenTiger:
Bart pointed out to me that given the amount of Americans of very recent German ancestry not to mention the Irish wave of immigrants who weren't favorable at all to Great Britain that if events and decisions happened a little differently the US might have stayed out of the war entirely or have joined the German side. I've been spending some time thinking how the world might be different if that occurred.

Here's some brain candy you might find interesting:

http://althistory.wikia.com/wiki/World_ ... al_Victory)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:41 pm

Read one alt-history tale a long time ago where in the 1920's a beaten and humiliated France became the cradle of a vicious Jew-hating type of nationalism, which isn't all that much out of character considering that French anti-Semitism was equally as virulent as the German variety. Chased out the German occupation forces with an intense guerrilla/terrorist campaign. Ended up attacking Spain, Italy, Benelux, and temporarily controlled the entire Mediterranean basin. Made the mistake, just like Napoleon did, of challenging the Royal Navy and then got clobbered when an imperial British/German alliance put a stop to their shenanigans. Entertaining but fairly fantastical as it depended on assuming that the France was still capable of producing someone in the upper ranks who was actually competent, which hasn't been true since Napoleon.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:38 pm

....who was a wop

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:39 pm

GreenTiger GreenTiger:

Harry Turtledove did a couple series based on that premise....much better read when stuff like this is done by professional historians who can also spin a good yarn. Lends an air of authenticity and realism to the entire endeavour.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:45 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
GreenTiger GreenTiger:

Harry Turtledove did a couple series based on that premise....much better read when stuff like this is done by professional historians who can also spin a good yarn. Lends an air of authenticity and realism to the entire endeavour.

If its the series I'm thinking of he has the south winning the civil war and thus the CSA is with Britain and the USA is with Germany in WWI.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:50 pm

Pretty sure that's it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:57 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
Pretty sure that's it.

Sure sounds like it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:46 pm

This pair of photos dates from the war but they are still pretty sobering, a century later. The left shows an aerial surveillance photo of the village of Passchendaele in Flanders very early in the War. The second photo is of the same crossroads after the battle in which the Canadians finally took "the village".

Attachments:
passchendaele.jpg
passchendaele.jpg [ 141.58 KiB | Viewed 552 times ]
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:17 pm

Maps of WW 1 trenches. You could walk, day in, day out and never leave a trench
http://galleryhip.com/world-war-1-trenches-map.html
https://www.google.ca/search?q=maps+of+ ... 4#imgdii=_